Yes you are correct but we're arguing a few pounds of difference which only comes in to play with very consistent drivers. I'm one of those not consistent drivers where 80#s may make a difference but 2# won't. Better to focus on other areas of the rules that are even more confused than this one IMHO.

Originally posted by Eric Parham:
Doesn't "all A/C equipment" mean anything thats different between an A/C car and a non-A/C car? So, if the two versions of a given car have *no* HVAC components in common (for example, except perhaps the heater core itself), then everything else *may* be removed. Nowhere does the GCR say that non-A/C components from a non-A/C equipped car must be sourced, adapted (if necessary, since not ALL of the A/C components *have* to be removed), and installed.

The interpretation problem comes in because some make/models are like my example (completely different parts between A/C and non), while others share most of the same parts. So, is it "fair" to make the car that shares the same parts keep them while allowing the car models that have different parts to remove them (e.g., core housing, ducts, vacuum controls, even heater hoses, etc.)? I'd guess not.

That's one reason why the other admittedly tortured interpretations can be acceptable in this particular case, at least when presented by a driver of a "same parts" type of car (who is deprived of the better argument). It's easier to accept such interpretations than to completely rewrite the rule, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited December 03, 2003).]