Thread: Help me pick a kill switch

Default Help me pick a kill switch

I know it's kinda silly to post asking "which kill switch" to put in a car....BUT....it seems that, of all the things we do to cars to get 'em ready to race, the one thing I hear horror stories about is failed/flaky kill switches.

I'm planning a two-pole "ground the alternator too" type - unless someone has a compelling argument otherwise.

The real question: are there particular brands, styles or models that seem to hold up better than others?

This will be going in my Spec Miata (making it legal for next year so I can finish this year at the ARRC ), likely mounted just inside the passenger window on a plate mounted to the rollcage. It will NOT be used on a regular basis (unless I should in the interest of keeping it working??) - the ignition in the car works just fine.

I figure you guys in IT land have fought through this a hundred times - may as well tap the knowledge.

Jarrod

Jarred.. I was poking around this site just recently concerning kill switches also.

If you want to find all the posts concerning this issue.

This is what I did. I went to the (search) option and performed a searh for KILL SWITCHES then I wanted to find more. So I went to the (Forums Tech Talk and changed the (show topics from las9t 45 days)) to (show all topics.)

Then I clicked back each sheet and scanned for any topics containing the wording (switches)(kill switch) (wiring) (switch wiring).. There is a post on page 4 or 5 that has a link where someone has drawn out diagrams for wiring Kill switches..

Best of luck,
    Toodles,
    Stacey_B

------------------
    Toodles,
    Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB 1990PGL SCCA STSL "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club T&S, BWRP,WS,Lag,Hallett www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT.

The longacre switch is a pretty nice unit. Definitely get one of the more expensive switches as the $20 two poles tend to not work when you get the 2 minute grid warning

I've got the "6" pole switch that's available at Racer Wholesale and so far it seems like a good solid switch, but it was on the car when I bought it and I've only used it for one weekend so far.

Make sure you keep the wiring directions that come with it, as there is about 3 days worth of websearches and scratching your head if you don't have them

------------------
    Scott
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

<A HREF="http://www.pfmracing.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.pfmracing.com </A>

The answer is LONGACRE for ~$30. They offer a 2 Pole switch that meets our needs. There have been a number of threads on this, but the wiring is very simple and meets all the rules. Mine works perfect. If you need help with it drop me an e-mail and I'll try.

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Having had one flake out on me this weekend (and seen others go bad at odd times) I do not think it's a matter of brand, but rather putting it on a replacement schedule.

The problem is that it is an electrical element and can be exposed to the elements, so the schedule (while measured in years) is a tough one to pick.

Carry a spare (or a set means of quickly by-passing)

we use the longacre switches in our ambulances
    we turn em on and off 20 times a day and they last for quite a few years..
    I just installed mine in the prelude..

Jarrod,

I too have the longacre two pole with alternator kill. It was pretty easy to put in, and I have had no issues with it to date.

Did you go to the Pro-Spec Miata weekend @ HPT?

How did you do?

I'm getting ready for Memphis right now, any plans on attending?

Let me know, and I can send you some docs on the kill switch and the wiring diagram.

------------------
    JJ
    #62 ITC

Thanks to all - Longacre two-pole switch is on order.

JJ - I skipped the weekend at HPT. REALLY wanted to do it, but decided the home life and getting stuff ready for the ARRC would be a better idea. Found the spare tire, found a couple more interior (metal) panels - the car begins its stint on "Weight Gainer 3000."

Won't make Memphis or St. Louis - Atlanta is gonna be my big blow-out. (Hopefully not literally. )

You still considering Atlanta?

Jarrod

The Longacre, Moroso, and Intercomp switches are all made by the same folks.
    It's like some one said. "it's an electrical component, and in a harsh inviroment" It is a good plan to carry a spare and to replace it it every year.
    Also pop the extra $5 bucks or so for the 4pole that is designed for the altenator.
    earier to hook up. and less chance of it not killing the engine