Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IT Legal Coilover

Originally posted by MK:
    George,

If we truly wish to shut the door on expensive equipment, why not fixed dollar limits?
    Just not practical for IT. Who sets the price? What happens if you get stuff for free, etc.?

Originally posted by MK:
    BTW-It's all relative, correct? What one thinks is expensive, another may think as relatively cheap.
    All too true. But, that doesn't mean you don't try.

Originally posted by MK:
    Yes it's supposed to be fun, but it seems there's always a natural progression towards the ridiculous. My step-father would call the super high-end BMWs "obscene". I would agree.
    You know Matt, I can't argue with much that you said. I do think there are areas we can work on containing costs and while not 100% fool-proof, IMHO they generally work.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by MK:
    George,

If we truly wish to shut the door on expensive equipment, why not fixed dollar limits?
    Just not practical for IT. Who sets the price? What happens if you get stuff for free, etc.?

Originally posted by MK:
    BTW-It's all relative, correct? What one thinks is expensive, another may think as relatively cheap.
    All too true. But, that doesn't mean you don't try.

Originally posted by MK:
    Yes it's supposed to be fun, but it seems there's always a natural progression towards the ridiculous. My step-father would call the super high-end BMWs "obscene". I would agree.
    You know Matt, I can't argue with much that you said. I do think there are areas we can work on containing costs and while not 100% fool-proof, IMHO they generally work.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

I think the real cost of things like rr shocks, multiple size tires, ect ect. Is the variables creating lots of testing and investment. I think that it would be a terrible thing to continue adding variables to every race car. It makes much more sense to keep IT cars simpler and a "True" regional entry level class. I simply do not think that It should ever be full blown race cars that the average person could not understand. It takes a ton of knowledge to set up a car correctly when your talking about adjusting Camber, Toe, Caster, preloading, jacking, Dampning, ect. Do you really think that all this is what IT was meant to be. I think it should be simple like the spec classes are so that we can learn to drive and have fun. forget about all that other stuff!

Enjoy
    Stephen

I have to agree, I wanted to start in IT because it was the closest form of affordable racing. The Spec guys have it tough or easy however you look at it. We have more than one car type running so we have a lot of companies that make parts for our cars. So we cant really be a true spec class (so to speak).

So whats an option that we could have regarding this shock thing. Well as I was reading I was thinking about all the companies that supply shocks. I was thinking about one of two things.
    1. Have the SCCA set the rules for what type of shocks can be used. Have these rules for any company wishing to supply shocks to be used in IT. The companies can then look at the rules and submit their shocks for approval to the SCCA. Then we have a chart showing the approved shocks for the different companies.

2. The rules committe can look at the different shock companies and post which shocks they deem acceptable for IT racing.

In either case it doesnt involve money. Some will get theirs for free, most will not. The shocks will all be affordable and approved. The guess work is taken out and the tech inspector is taken off the hook. If its not on the list and doesnt have an exception sticker from SCCA then its deemed illegal.

I think Adj. Coilovers are mainly for ride height adjustment. I also think, as in my case finding the right spring to use is more important than trying to get an adjustable spring loading device. Add in the various companies offering different ride height springs and tensions. It gets complicated enough. Adjustable ride height with a coller is just a simple fix to finding the right spring height and load combo.

Tokico Illuminas and the right spring is all you really need for IT. (not one of my sponsors BTW) just a low cost, easy to go racing combo.

Welp thats my take on it.
    Toodles,
    Stacey_B

------------------
    Toodles,
    Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB 1990PGL SCCA STSL "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club T&S, BWRP,WS,Lag,Hallett www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT.