Thread: aluminium radiators

Default aluminium radiators

what are your thoughts on using an aluminium radiator compared to upgraded stock ones. Is it worth the expense. Are they truly better?

Depends on the car. I've run old stock radiators for years and never had an issue. Some cars like 2nd gen RX7 are more prone to thermal issues and need extra attention in this area. What kind of car are you running?

The stock VW radiators are aluminum. In fact I think VW radiatiors are popular in other cars due to their light weight.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

I agree. I used a VW radiator for years on a 2.3 Ford, and never had a problem. It was 10 pounds lighter when full, and that weight was way ahead of the front wheels.

At $85-$95 per for a new one, the choice was very simple.

Good racing. Bill

Originally posted by bill f:
    I agree. I used a VW radiator for years on a 2.3 Ford, and never had a problem. It was 10 pounds lighter when full, and that weight was way ahead of the front wheels.

Good racing. Bill
    I installed a Ron Evans aluminum radiator this year in my previously overheating itc Fiesta and I couldn't get the car over 180 degrees in 95-degree weather. They seem to work.
    Best wishes,
    G. Robert Jones

------------------

Dick Elliott Guest

Bill!
    Which VW radiator did you use? I've heard that a VW rabbit / disel / factory air is the right one. How about it? DICK

Originally posted by bill f:

Good racing. Bill

Dick, it's normally the "Scirocco" style that is the most popular.

P/N GRI-2-28185-X (Griffin) 22" x 13" and $221

or

P/N SUM-380648 (Summit) $110

from www.summitracing.com

"This aluminum Scirocco style radiator fits virtually any chassis to give you reliable cooling at the strip. It features a 1.125 in. core, a 195 degree sender and a 13 lb. pressure cap. Its core measures 1 1/8 in. wide x 21 in. long and has 1 1/4 in. fittings on its right side and a fill cap on its left."

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

We used the Scirocco, and on one car the small VW Rabbit. Take care...we saw some brass replacement pieces for the diesel. Aluminum/plastic is the choice.

Bill

Tough to find anymore, but an old RX-3 radiator was a good one as well. Also the oil cooler from an RX-7 is exceptionally large, with thermostat, and usually cheap att he u-pull.