PDA

View Full Version : 350z in ITR

Hammer
12-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Is there a chance of a 2004 Nissan 350z being classed in ITR. Stock HP is 287. Was looking at a T3/ Nasa Spec Z 350z and wanted to see if there is a future in IT with it.

Andy Bettencourt
12-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Doubtful. 240hp is the upper limit now of a stock S2000 - and the only reason that car 'fit's' is because it's already making that out of a NA 2.0/2.2 and the IT mods don't help it much. Makes less whp and more weight than a 325 Bimmer.

For funzies, it would weigh about 4035lbs given the target power to weight of the class.

Ron Earp
12-11-2014, 11:34 AM
No way that car is going into ITR. The low-hp cars in ITR are at 190 stock hp, so a 100hp spread would be too much for the class.

Besides, given IT's questionable status in the SCCA I think I'd race it over in NASA.

Hammer
12-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Any more talk of an IT class above ITR

StephenB
12-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Stu ?

lawtonglenn
12-12-2014, 12:08 AM
...it would weigh about 4035lbs given the target power to weight of the class.

Ron Earp
12-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Any more talk of an IT class above ITR

They're always talk. And then there is the reality of IT, what the ITAC can effectively do, and the station of IT in the SCCA.

JeffYoung
12-12-2014, 02:21 PM
No, significantly more power than the stock power targets for ITR. Like Andy said it would be unraceble in ITR at its spec weight.

There is talk of a class over ITR. Whether it happens or not I don't know. The ITAC has not focused on that in a while.

JLawton
12-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Stu ?

STO. It's got a 3.5L

Cool cars though (as an owner of a G35 Sport Coupe) and love the sound when they run in Touring (3?)

Terry Hanushek
12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Stu ?

STO. It's got a 3.5L

Except STO went away

STO = T1 or GT2

STU may work. From the Super Touring Purpose on Philosophy in the GCR:

Super Touring Under (STU) vehicles are mid-level multi-purpose performance cars of 3.2 liters and under. Case-by-case approval of engines over 3.2 liters from “Pony Cars” or “American Iron” with stock camshaft lift at a heavier weight will be considered. No engines over 4 liters shall be allowed under any circumstances.

It would be worth sending a letter to the CRB if you were interested.

Terry

Hammer
12-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I was looking to try and stay in IT with a newer Nissan. The IT field at the Turkey Trot Sebring was 70+ cars. So far the Majors race at Sebring only has a couple STU or T3 cars entered and the small fields don't excite me. I will keep racing the ITA 240sx for now.

mossaidis
12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
I was looking to try and stay in IT with a newer Nissan. The IT field at the Turkey Trot Sebring was 70+ cars. So far the Majors race at Sebring only has a couple STU or T3 cars entered and the small fields don't excite me. I will keep racing the ITA 240sx for now.

This response is so timely. Well crafted as well.

Matt93SE
12-16-2014, 01:46 PM
STO. It's got a 3.5L

Cool cars though (as an owner of a G35 Sport Coupe) and love the sound when they run in Touring (3?)

...you can install a VQ30 from a Maxima and run the 350 in STU at 3300lbs.. I'm not sure if you can de-stroke it using OEM parts.. there's a line item in the STU rules about the 3.0K in a 350Z. the easy button for that would be to use a Maxima longblock with 350Z externals.

Chip42
12-17-2014, 09:42 AM
new cars are an issue not just for the ITAC, but for the bulk of the club. when stock-esque examples of pony cars are keeping pace with the ground pounding, purpose built tube frame cars at the top of the speed spectrum of our classes, you know you have reached a tipping point. currently, mid level economy car "hot hatch" varients (GTI, Civic Si) will fall into the top levels of IT, Prod, ST and middle of Touring, assuming those classes allow the cars at all given turbos and hybrid drives and the like that are creeping into such cars. current sports cars don't fit ANYWHERE other than the "FAST, big money" classes in SCCA (T1-3, GT1-2). when a car that should exemplify "affordable sportscar" has no where to go without creating a franken motor or listing a very limitted number prep level options, such as is the case with the nearly 15 year old 350Z , we have a problem.

we can't just offer further-limitted prep options to class the cars alongside 40 year old borgwalds, we need to recognize the speed creep and add classes accordingly. this, in an era when consolidation is all the rage. every car (within reason, a bugatti doesn't have to fit in our sandbox) should have prep options from stock to GT and have a place to play and have a shot at being competative. we need to rethink how we do things in a big way.

2nd gen RX7s, NB miatas, and EG/K/M or DC hondas aren't going to be available forever. they are poised to become the next spridgets and annoy the hell out of our kids as symbols of anchoring the classes, resisting change, and being irrelevant to the current state of automobilia.