PDA

View Full Version : Remove the drivers side quarter/vent window? Legal?

JohnW8
09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm shopping for a halo seat for an ITA Miata. Once I find one that will work am I able according to the rules to remove the drivers side quarter/vent window in order to allow egress from the car? Spec Miata has this allowance, does IT? I can't find it in the Improved Touring rule book and I didn't find anything here with a search.

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Flyinglizard
09-25-2014, 02:39 PM
If you cant get out of the car with the HANS device, by all means take out the window. If you get tossed write a letter, Maybe write a letter anyway.
It may/should fall under any mods due to safety mods required. Safety first, rules second. IMHO

Edit; I doubt that you can get out of the car with a deep seat. You have to move forward about 15in or more. Not anyplace to go that far forward.

It is very hard to enter/escape the Miata full dressed , they should all be outlawed.

Knestis
09-25-2014, 06:12 PM
9.1.3.D.9.m. If equipped, the vent window and its supporting structure may be removed.

Read the rules, dudes. Many of the issues we've seen over the years have been because we don't do enough of that.

K

lateapex911
09-26-2014, 12:05 AM
I remember writing that rule allowance.
Good that you asked though John.
And Lizard, whats up with just doing WTF you want because safety?

Here's another way of thinking about it: (Assuming the ITAC didn't proactively -(we did it with no letter request IIRC) make an allowance) If you can't have adequate egress that satisfies your sense of safety, maybe another car /seat/setup is the better answer than just doing whatever you feel like, rulebook be damned????

Flyinglizard
09-26-2014, 09:19 AM
As I said , I doubt that you can move far enough for a full containment seat, in a Miata. I have put many in stock cars and such and they get tight. The biggest obstacle is the end of the steering column. The wheel/shaft often needs an extension to come back to the driver , back in the tunnel of a seat. The egress point is about even with the steering wheel or a little in front of the wheel.

I spend a good bit of my time as a Guardian Ad Litem. I have been knocking down legal dominoes all week trying to get the paperwork inlne so that one child can be adopted.His MOm in NC just needs to sign a little paper, but it has to come from her FL. lawyer, whom I can not contact directly. Ihave found a lawyer near her , for a100$ will handle her end of it . But as usual it is out of protocol.

So yes, i often have a really poor outlook regarding rules and safety , watching you guys worry about insignificant little items in your world.
Sorry , back to lurking . MM

JohnW8
09-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the information. I do read the rules but the version of the IT rules I downloaded from the intertubes did not have that allowance. It all may be for nought due to fitment. I did find the allowance in a downloaded version of the GCR from 2013.

Thank you.

Flyinglizard
10-01-2014, 09:13 PM
SM and IT have slightly different door panel rules. IT wants some sheet panel there, where SM can cut the inner panel away and not replace.

iambhooper
12-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Pursuant to another thread, possibly in another bar, how would removal of the vent windows affect aerodynamics?

Flyinglizard
12-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Lets more air inside car, goes slower. In theory.
MM