PDA

View Full Version : ITA CRX D16 Oil pan Baffling

madrabbit15
07-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Has anyone else seen a need for any type of additional oil pan baffling or maybe even an accusump? We have run the car for a few years, when the old engine recently locked. Again the engine was pretty tired anyway. Oil pressure did seem to dip a bit in some of the high G turns, but never saw it go super low. New motor is in the car, and am wondering if anything other than the stock pan with its baffle is needed. Would love to hear any recommendations.

mossaidis
07-25-2014, 02:36 PM
after market oil pans with baffling are recommended for both fighting g forces and heat reduction.

Example:

stock
https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/15-958/15-958---16-D-SERIES-HONDA-STOCK-APPEARING-OIL-PAN/

Racing
https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/15-960/15-960----16-D-SERIES-HONDA-BAFFLED-OIL-PAN/

Tom Blaney
07-27-2014, 10:48 AM
The best way to prevent oil pressure dips is to use an Accusump, I have used it on everything from a GT4/5/lites to ITA Honda's. It is far superior to baffles, 1) you can mount the accusump all the way in the back right rear corner to help balance some weight, 2) put an easily reachable shutoff valve (near the shifter) so you can open if before you start the motor to "pre-prime" the block 3) the extra oil (and surface area) in the Accusump will help to keep the oil cool.

All of the guys running my "Bullet Proof Motors" run them, and we have never had an oil related failure in 15+ yrs of racing.

Chip42
07-27-2014, 04:02 PM
We used to run about a half qt low on purpose at places like roebling road in a d16a6 because the long side loads would end up just burning the excess. To that end, a scraper and better windage tray help, baffles not so much. I agree with Tom about running an accusump. Better some insurance than none, and pre oiling is useful.

raffaelli
07-28-2014, 09:59 PM
I am running an accusump on my D16A6 Bullet motor and an OE pan. I have not seen pressure below 60 while on track. Usually it is around 75.

joeg
07-29-2014, 05:58 AM
An Accusump will not help raise pressure, but works to stabilize what you have.

They have been around a long time and are very well thought of. All my race cars have them. In and of themselves, they do not weigh much. The plumbing and oil in them weigh more than the can!

Hawkeye
08-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Where are you plumbing it into a D15 motor?

raffaelli
03-29-2018, 12:10 AM
Where are you plumbing it into a D15 motor?

On my D16 it is plumbed to a sandwich adapter at the oil filter. Oil filter is remote.