PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Major

Ed Funk
07-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Was watching the live streaming of the STU, STL, B Spec et al. Went FCY at about lap 3-4, Gale and Knestis went down in the standings. Two ambulances rolled. What happened, everyone OK?

Z3_GoCar
07-05-2014, 09:10 PM
I saw that as well, haven't had anything from Kirk's facebook feed yet either.

Greg Amy
07-05-2014, 11:58 PM
From Kirk's "beer at dinner" feed today...Greg Gale was inside Kirk at the Outer Loop, LF hub failed on Greg's car, took them both into the wall. Both drivers OK, neither will be on track tomorrow.

On of "those things"...

Ed Funk
07-06-2014, 08:22 AM
OK, thanks.

Z3_GoCar
07-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks Greg. I thought it might just be, "just racing".

Knestis
07-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Sorry for the radio silence, all. No wireless at the motel.

As Greg relayed, i got to ride in an ambulance for the second time in two visits to WGI but everything is AOK. Does look like a failed part stuck us in the wall. Car is not as bad as might have been the case but it's pretty annoying...

K

Ed Funk
07-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Love the place, but it's not very forgiving.

Knestis
07-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm not going back.

Racing is supposed to be fun and I'm at a point in my life where I think I can reasonably expect that I can fall - or get knocked - off of a racetrack and not have it carry that high of a likelihood of a big price tag.

I love fast, challenging corners. I was within a half second of the ITB lap record the day before Pablo II was totaled due to someone else's bad decision, so I *think* I can find my way around the place. In this case, it was just the wrong place at the wrong time but unlike most tracks, where there might be a couple of places where a competitor's mechanical failure would end up in a big impact with a wall, WGI has only a couple of places where that is NOT likely to be the case.

The odds just don't add up as far as I'm concerned.

K

adamjabaay
07-07-2014, 07:43 AM
that sucks kirk,...sorry to hear

Greg Amy
07-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Sunday Race:

Rear view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNI3Pq5DhCs

Front in-car view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lBXjMyYmLc

Wish I had someone that could combine these!!!

Saturday race:
Roof, forward view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PNqENAjo_k

Have not yet done the in-car version. Saturday was a bit of a yawner, but you can get a glimpse of Kirk and GregG in the wall at 8:15 and 11:00.

That 13B-powered Miata is..."quick"...watch the various views from both days.

webhound
07-07-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm not going back.

Racing is supposed to be fun and I'm at a point in my life where I think I can reasonably expect that I can fall - or get knocked - off of a racetrack and not have it carry that high of a likelihood of a big price tag.

I love fast, challenging corners. I was within a half second of the ITB lap record the day before Pablo II was totaled due to someone else's bad decision, so I *think* I can find my way around the place. In this case, it was just the wrong place at the wrong time but unlike most tracks, where there might be a couple of places where a competitor's mechanical failure would end up in a big impact with a wall, WGI has only a couple of places where that is NOT likely to be the case.

The odds just don't add up as far as I'm concerned.

K

Sorry to hear about this Kirk, but glad everyone is ok. :(

Tough track, I know it's one of the classics but even with like 10 days on it so far doing HPDE and instructing, it still doesn't resonate well with me like some other places. Last time I touched the place I lost a LF hub, thankfully during pit-in. I'll be there this week again instructing, I'm going in with an open mind and want to love it.

I'd like to make a Major one of these days, this year the opportunity's passed.

Will

gran racing
07-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Own driver error I can somewhat live with but when taken out... that just sucks.

It's all relative about the track though. For the N.E., Lime Rock, Thompson, NHMS... I feel safer racing at the Glen personally.

Andy Bettencourt
07-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Sorry to hear Kirk. Couple turns I always used to think about what would happen if my own hub failed...bummer.

Greg - I think the video quality is just fine. Good stuff and thanks for sharing!

dickita15
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
i respect Kirk decision that the bad ju-ju he has experienced at the Glen makes him not want to return, but honestly it was no the guard rail that got him, he got driven into to a tire wall. the only thing better is lots of grass. it was interesting talking to Kevin Fandozzi however, this was his first race at the glen and he said the data showed loads higher than he has ever seen in his Cobalt. i suppose tha could lead to such failures as the meotter had.

joeg
07-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Take another look at the Sunday "Rear view" vid.

In the 32-33 minute range you will see a simply incredible save by a B-Spec Mini (Washay's car) going into the Boot as a result of a small punt.

Greg Amy
07-08-2014, 07:01 AM
In the 32-33 minute range you will see a simply incredible save by a B-Spec Mini (Washay's car) going into the Boot as a result of a small punt.
DAMNED good save; that was a big potential wall-banger.

Sunday In-Car is up...I had built a manageable lead over Farbman at that point and was pissed at the FCY, but boy was I wrong...that was some fun racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lBXjMyYmLc

I really wish I knew someone that could combine these two into one PiP...

Greg Amy
07-09-2014, 07:56 AM
iMovie-produced combo view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8thWwkVzcQ

3-minute RaceRender Demo view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6zcWLufhg0

lawtonglenn
07-09-2014, 08:55 AM

two suggestions on producing the video combo views ... what I have done in the past:

1. crop out the sky and trunklid of the reverse view, giving you a wide narrow band of video you can expand over your windshield

2. do a horizontal flip on the reverse view, so it appears as a rearview mirror view, that way a car in the left of the mirror will pass on the left

nice racing !!

Greg Amy
07-09-2014, 09:06 AM
The first half of that race was boring. Once Farbman spun in the Inner Loop I was focused on maintaining 3rd. The second half of that race, on the other hand, was a hoot: a nice combo of Drago having shifter issues and the T3 Audi keeping the front two in check, along with mixed traffic made for some good tight racing.

1. crop out the sky and trunklid of the reverse view, giving you a wide narrow band of video you can expand over your windshield
2. do a horizontal flip on the reverse view, so it appears as a rearview mirror view, that way a car in the left of the mirror will pass on the left
What software are you using to do this?

Greg

Andy Bettencourt
07-09-2014, 09:22 AM
I think you are about to take your vids to a new level!!!

lawtonglenn
07-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Drago really gets that miata around!

I use Pinnacle (Avid) Studio HD Ultimate 14.0

They are up to 17.5 but I wasn't used to the "improved" interface, so I stuck with the old

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/studio/ultimate/

Greg Amy
07-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Last one: Saturday Race 1 with forward-facing roof as primary view, in-car as inset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXe-3pw7E7o

Open track. No T3 car holding up the leaders. Mid-race FCY allowed me to catch up to the top three, but after the restart they were gone.

Pinnacle is a bit spendy for me; I don't see spending that much time making these videos. Plus, it's very rare for me to have anyone else at the track with me that could start the external camera. So, I spent the $40 for RaceRender and made this video. They do offer a mirroring function - I may re-do the Sunday video accordingly - but I could not immediately see a way to crop the inset video, just resize it, which scrunches things.

I also see they support Race Technology data, but only if you export to CSV in advance. I may play around with that.

lawtonglenn
07-10-2014, 09:12 AM
whenever I did two cams like that it took quite some time to synchronize the videos sliding one relative to the other at ever increasing time resolution until it was perfect... how did you do it?

Greg Amy
07-10-2014, 09:17 AM
whenever I did two cams like that it took quite some time to synchronize the videos sliding one relative to the other at ever increasing time resolution until it was perfect... how did you do it?

The shadow under the bridge. I figured the car was right about the same length as the width of that shadow, and using the sliders/buttons I put the nose of the car from the front camera view on the downstream edge of the shadow, and the tail of the car from the rear view on the leading edge of the shadow. Worked perfectly and only took a few minutes of tweaking.

Absent that, I'd find a trackside brake marker and put it about midway on the car in both views (estimated of course, because you can't see sideways.)

GA

Andy Bettencourt
07-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Looks great. I wouldn't drop the huge coin of the software either...although your positioning of the in-car is blocking my view of your fancy lightweight hood flopping around!

Greg Amy
07-10-2014, 09:21 AM
"Fancy"?? That's 1950s Fiberglas technology, yo!