PDA

View Full Version : Weight Placement Mental Exercise

backformore
06-18-2014, 08:32 AM
I've been giving this question some thought and wanted to see what others thought.

If you have a significant weight you can place anywhere, like a CoolSuit cooler in IT or a battery in other classes, and you have a weight distribution challenged front wheel drive car, are you better off putting the weight low and between the wheels in the Pax seat area or putting it as far back and away in the pax rear trunk for maximum impact on weight distribution? For sake of argument, lets assume 30 pounds of weight in a 2300 pound car.

Thoughts?

joeg
06-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Floor, Pass seat area for lead ballast--consistent with the rules and best.

The other options are a heavy SS exhaust system (Lowest and in the middle); spare tire in the stock area (not ideal but easily removed).

Matt93SE
06-18-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't think he was concerned about the rules part- more of a "which is the best case for handling"...
keep the weight low and near the center where it keeps rotating inertia down, or move it to the back bumper where it acts as weight on a pendulum when you're trying to turn.. It helps static weight distribution better, but which way makes the car handle better?

backformore
06-18-2014, 11:16 AM
What Matt said.

pfcs
06-18-2014, 01:25 PM
FWD it's a no-brainer: extreme RR!
The polar moment is trumped in spades by getting weight off the LF tire.

jimbbski
06-18-2014, 05:41 PM
FWD it's a no-brainer: extreme RR!
The polar moment is trumped in spades by getting weight off the LF tire.

I agree!