PDA

View Full Version : Soft Opening at Thompson

Raceman77
05-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Good afternoon all. Well the time has finally come. Registration is now open for the Soft Opening At Thompson. June 6-8. Friday will have 60 cars. Saturday and Sunday will have a total of 125 cars and will be on track at 12pm. Registration is $50 for Friday and $200 for Sat/Sun.

Greg Amy
05-13-2014, 03:02 PM
"Alcohol - No alcohol may be consumed in the paddock or garage areas from 15 minutes after the end of on-track activity until 10PM".

Sooo...you can't drink after the races unless you wait until after 10PM? If so, that is decisively in direct contrast to:

"Quiet Time: 10PM to 7AM"

Supps typo...?

GA

lawtonglenn
05-13-2014, 03:11 PM
"Alcohol - No alcohol may be consumed in the paddock or garage areas from 15 minutes after the end of on-track activity until 10PM"

GA

Can you drink alcohol throughout the day in the paddock or garage as long as you finish your beer by 14:59 minutes after the last run group?

georgethefierce
05-13-2014, 03:22 PM
"Alcohol - No alcohol may be consumed in the paddock or garage areas from 15 minutes after the end of on-track activity until 10PM".

Sooo...you can't drink after the races unless you wait until after 10PM? If so, that is decisively in direct contrast to:

"Quiet Time: 10PM to 7AM"

Supps typo...?

GA

and the sound of 125 New Englanders deleting their registration could be heard from throughout the land!

Raceman77
05-13-2014, 03:24 PM
sweet you guys actually read the full supps.

Greg Amy
05-13-2014, 04:02 PM
sweet you guys actually read the full supps.

It said "alcohol". Of course I read it.

Can you drink alcohol throughout the day in the paddock or garage as long as you finish your beer by 14:59 minutes after the last run group?

Wait...wut? You mean we can't do that normally...?

There goes my bravery (and talent...)

webhound
05-13-2014, 06:47 PM
How does the Friday test work? I see 3 groups, do they just rotate through the day? And is it $50 for the whole day, or is that per session? I may come just for that, I have other stuff on Saturday and Sunday.

W

*No option for just Friday reg, is it only for sat/sun participants?

Raceman77
05-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Friday test is open wheel , big bore , and small bore rotating through. please keep in mind this is to make sure things are all in the correct places. flagging stations and things. we will be having drivers meetings to get feed back. we are hoping that Saturday and sunday we can run as close to a race weekend as we can. there are no points for this. there will be 60 cars for Friday. those 60 will be included for Saturday and sunday as well. we will have an additional 65 cars come in Friday afternoon/Saturday morning. for a total of 125. there is no option for just Friday.

gran racing
05-14-2014, 08:08 AM
So it's not just a test and tune? Not so sure that I want to enjoy my first time out on track racing others who also haven't been there before. But as Greg says, I need to reserve a seat at T1 for the SM race!

Greg Amy
05-14-2014, 08:39 AM
It is going to be a casual testing-like atmosphere. The primary - sole - goal of the weekend is for learning about the track, about the management, about the facilities, and for us to give enormous amount of feedback to the track regarding safety improvements and "the SCCA way". We are the beta testers, with the ultimate goal to find and resolve any "bugs" so that the first official race weekend goes smooth as silk. It is officially sanctioned as a race weekend for insurance purposes only.

From my perspective, if I'm involved with managing Contact Impound I can assure you that it won't be as casual - or as quick - an encounter as you get on "regular" race weekends. I have no authority in the matter to enforce it, but I strongly suggest that anyone driving aggressively and/or trying to "win" this test weekend may find themselves being asked to work a corner for a couple sessions...or find themselves being asked to leave.

The #1 most important note in the Supps:

"RESULTS and TROPHIES – This weekend is a testing event. There will be no trophies or points awarded. No track records will be established. Times will be posted for information only."

Can't even win an ashtray with this one...

'Nuff said?
GA

jwasilko
05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Can't even win an ashtray with this one...

'Nuff said?
GA

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to helping us all figure out how to best run a race weekend there.

gran racing
05-14-2014, 01:22 PM
I would suggest not even posting times.

dickita15
05-14-2014, 01:45 PM
doesn't matter what you want. we will be working out the bugs of the timing and other support systems.

gran racing
05-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Well of course I know that it doesn't matter what I want or suggest. I do think racers will see the times posted and go from there.

gran racing
05-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Approximately when will entrants be notified if they're accepted into the event? Just curious. Quick read through supps and I didn't see it mentioned. And yes Grumpy Pants will tell me that we'll know when they decide to tell us. :)

Raceman77
05-19-2014, 11:03 AM
we will let all know as soon as we can.

Raceman77
05-20-2014, 04:05 PM
we will be letting you know this weekend about Thompson. we do still have openings for all 3 days.

Matt93SE
05-20-2014, 04:46 PM
From my perspective, if I'm involved with managing Contact Impound I can assure you that it won't be as casual - or as quick - an encounter as you get on "regular" race weekends. I have no authority in the matter to enforce it, but I strongly suggest that anyone driving aggressively and/or trying to "win" this test weekend may find themselves being asked to work a corner for a couple sessions...or find themselves being asked to leave.
Don't penalize us poor F&C workers with a pissed off driver!! Make them work tech for an hour.

I suggest posting times at the end of the day so everyone can talk about it over beers. (You know, the ones that aren't flowing until 10pm.) I would want to know just for grins. Otherwise run the event like a normal weekend except for the last act of posting the times on the wall.

Ed Funk
05-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Entry list?

Greg Amy
05-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Not published. But everyone that signed up is "in".

I'll be there, switch-hitting between on-track, stewarding, and Tech. Staying on-site in the trailer in Racer Central.

Raceman77
05-30-2014, 08:06 AM
emails went out to all that were signed up

gran racing
05-30-2014, 08:11 AM
I obviously don't need the confirmation but more of an FYI, I didn't receive a mass generated e-mail assuming that's how it was done. Also checked my spam folder.

Are you able to make a note on the reg site and state that as well? Might be worthwhile. Really looking forward to it. See you there.

StephenB
05-30-2014, 08:27 AM
I am going to bring a go pro and a projector with a screen so we can watch in car video at the conclusion of the day. Anyone is welcome over with your video to play for everyone to see!

I heard hotels are scarce, is everyone staying at the track?

Stephen

Greg Amy
05-30-2014, 09:39 AM
...is everyone staying at the track?

That's where the party's gonna be...

StephenB
05-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Another question, I can't figure out my login to registration on my phone...

What s the deal with garages this weekend?

Thanks!
Stephen

Greg Amy
05-30-2014, 09:57 AM
On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Jb Swan <redacted> wrote:
> Good afternoon all
>
> Well the Soft Opening for Thompson is right around the corner. We have
> sent this email to you to let you know that we look forward to having you
> all three days at Thompson June 6 thru 8. The entry fee will be $250. They
> also have garage space available for the weekend. This is a discounted rate
> for the soft opening weekend only. $125 for all 3 days or $100 for Saturday
> and Sunday. Please contact the track directly to reserve. 860-923-2280.
> Registration is Thursday evening from 5pm to 8 pm. For this event only we
> will be working with the track to paddock you. We will be tight for space
> so the track has asked us to help them with this. If you are planning to
> paddock with others please make sure you get there together. Friday will
> have 3 groups Open Wheel,Big Bore and Small Bore. If you have any questions
> feel free to contact me at <redacted>

team-gpracing
05-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I heard hotels are scarce, is everyone staying at the track?

Check hotels in Auburn. There are a bunch there and they are only about 15 minutes from the track.

StephenB
06-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Weather is looking good!