PDA

View Full Version : Interior Painting: studs and threaded holes

backformore
05-05-2014, 02:42 PM
A few more hours of prep and masking and it will be time to spray bomb the interior. There are lots of studs and threaded holes for attaching dash, pedals, etc. I assume that I need to keep paint off of/out of these in order for them to be useable when done. Is that correct? If so, how have folks kept these clean when painting the interior.

Thanks
Rory

georgethefierce
05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
A few more hours of prep and masking and it will be time to spray bomb the interior. There are lots of studs and threaded holes for attaching dash, pedals, etc. I assume that I need to keep paint off of/out of these in order for them to be useable when done. Is that correct? If so, how have folks kept these clean when painting the interior.

Thanks
Rory

alot of times the threads will be fine but I like to be safe and roll up a piece of tape and place it in hole..if you're feeling fancy mcmaster car will sell little rubber plugs in the correct sizes as well.

Dano77
05-05-2014, 03:43 PM
OR you could just paint the holes and put the bolts back on when it dries. Unless its a ground then clean it up when done. A spray bomb will not spray enough material to plug them up like powder coat or BC/CC will.

A roller on the other hand leaves lots of material around. Hmmmmm who would use a roller on a car? Not an IT7 driver, no way no how....

seckerich
05-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Ignore the threaded holes and put aluminum foil on the studs. Much easier to put on and comes off with no residue. Spray away!!

backformore
05-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks. As always just the info I was looking for and great advice.

Matt93SE
05-05-2014, 09:49 PM
When I was doing powdercoating, Eastwood (Summit now) sold silicone tapered plugs for holes, and then I would use foil or tape over male threads. foil is much easier to get off and doesn't leave sticky stuff behind. When I did my cage, I wrapped the steering column and wiring and such with foil- much easier to cover than with paper and tape, and even easier to remove.

team-gpracing
05-06-2014, 08:55 AM
You can always run a tap or die in or on the threads if you get too much paint on them. Doubtful you'd need to though.

JLawton
05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Paint = Locktite