PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day NHMS 2014

Raceman77
04-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Well it is time to go racing. Registration is open on MotorsportReg.com we should have the school registration open shortly.

JLawton
05-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Am I the only one who cant access the sups??
Kinda sad when we can lump all of the IT classes into one run group. In all the years I've been running IT I've never seen that happen at LRP or NHMS..........
How is the $25/session going to work with the test day? Pay for how many you think you will use?
Would anyone notice if I entered IT7?

Greg Amy
05-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Would anyone notice if I entered IT7?
Doesn't the GCR allow Miatas to enter any class they wish? Sure seems that way...

jwasilko
05-01-2014, 09:54 AM
How is the $25/session going to work with the test day? Pay for how many you think you will use?

You buy what you think you'll use, and if you have extra at the end of the day you can take them back to registration and get a refund. it's a really nice system.

Raceman77
05-01-2014, 01:08 PM
we consolidated run groups to try to get another group in. BMW or one of them. but no one wanted to. the decision was made to extend each group a bit. LRP and Thompson will have the same run groups as last year. we will try to fix the supps problem.

Raceman77
05-02-2014, 12:56 PM
supps are now up on ner website. will be fixing the link on motorsprtreg soon.

georgethefierce
05-02-2014, 01:07 PM
School registration is now open as well....good deal too!

gran racing
05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
LRP and Thompson will have the same run groups as last year.

What was that, in particular for ITA? Think ITA ran with STL?

JLawton
05-02-2014, 04:03 PM
supps are now up on ner website. will be fixing the link on motorsprtreg soon.

This never happened when Jerry was running the show......................

:p

CRallo
05-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Who is running in B?

kcolbey
05-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Registered! I'm kind of a NHMS newb, I haven't raced there yet. Looking forward to getting the car out for the season.

JLawton
05-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered! I'm kind of a NHMS newb, I haven't raced there yet. Looking forward to getting the car out for the season.

Whoo Hoo!! Good to see a non Miata ITA car sign up!!

Me thinks they may have to split Group 2 up a little............ Maybe ITB or ITS/ITR with one of the smaller Miata groups? Was it group 3 that only had 3 cars so far??

Greg Amy
05-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Whoo Hoo!! Good to see a non Miata ITA car that we can all gang up on!!
Sez the guy that sold his non Miata ITA car...and bought a Miata ITA car... ;)

Me thinks they may have to split Group 2...Was it group 3 that only had 3 cars so far??
What, you want to gang up on the Formula B cars now...?

GA, so far the sole non-Miata in his entire group...demonstrating that we should work toward creating another group for Miatas to play in...

georgethefierce
05-13-2014, 10:43 AM
think we found the run group to watch...

Class Totals: IT7: 9, ITA: 13, ITB: 6, ITR: 4, ITS: 2, T4: 1

Abhi
05-13-2014, 12:00 PM
think we found the run group to watch...

Class Totals: IT7: 9, ITA: 13, ITB: 6, ITR: 4, ITS: 2, T4: 1

Let's see...

35 cars on track of varying speeds
First race of the season with most of us shaking off the cobwebs
Group 2 with a slightly cold damp track in the morning

What could possibly go wrong ????

I think I will hold off on getting the car painted until after this event.

Abhi

georgethefierce
05-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Let's see...

35 cars on track of varying speeds
First race of the season with most of us shaking off the cobwebs
Group 2 with a slightly cold damp track in the morning

What could possibly go wrong ????

Abhi

Only 6 potentially just signed off!

Greg Amy
05-13-2014, 01:00 PM
...and the whining begins...

gran racing
05-13-2014, 02:39 PM
When you do paint it, would you mind painting it silver? :)

gizmo83
05-13-2014, 07:27 PM
I have half a garage for $80 if anyone is interested!

Abhi
05-13-2014, 11:43 PM
When you do paint it, would you mind painting it silver? :)

Silver ?

Doesn't that show dents ?

Are you going to come out and play at NHMS?

Abhi

Greg Amy
05-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Sounds like all the Miatae are setting up a play date. Do you guys have adequate supervision? Don't forget your lunches and bring a windbreaker just in case. And tie your shoes!

CRallo
05-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Silver ?

Doesn't that show dents ?

Abhi

Dave's car is Silver IIRC.

I'm all for a full group. A good packed field is my biggest motivation for heading up there. As long as people racing out of class don't mess up a class race.

StephenB
05-14-2014, 09:31 PM
So what is the plan for group 2? Will ITS and ITR be split into the big bore group at the end of the day? Or will we just be split into two groups?

Stephen

Greg Amy
05-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Why would it need to change? The number is still well within max allowed for the track.

And even if it were changed, how would you do it, keeping in mind that many within that group are double-dipping in other groups? I suppose we could move ITR to Big Bore at the end of the day...

This is why we have Club Racing Board meetings...to decide this stuff before we get to the track.

Winter is over. Time to stop whining, time to go racing.

GA, still the only non-Miata in his race group...yet still not whining about it. Yet.

lawtonglenn
05-14-2014, 10:44 PM
... still the only non-Miata in his race group...yet still not whining about it. Yet.

not so kemosabe ... check the Sunday only registrations at the bottom :023:

Greg Amy
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM
not so kemosabe ... check the Sunday only registrations at the bottom :023:

Sweeeeet!

StephenB
05-15-2014, 05:29 AM
I am not whining, I WANT to stay in group 2. Based on the past history I can see it being moved. Just trying to get a feel what JB would be thinking of doing. I think we are only 4 cars from max (42 @ NHMS?)

dickita15
05-15-2014, 06:06 AM
i heard some scuttlebut last night that if group 2 is over subscribed ITB could be moved to group 4. likely the least trauma move.

RSTPerformance
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
I Love the idea of most (missing ITC) of the IT cars all running together! I liked this a lot when it came out last year. with only 20 or so cars in a run group you can easily be running alone. With 30+ cars we should all have someone to race with as long as everyone is smart on the start! I see no reason to splt out any classes unless we reach the track max

Raymond

dickita15
05-15-2014, 09:44 PM
I agree, the only session that it is a pain is qualifying shooting for the clean lap but in the race i always thought a full track was more fun.

JLawton
05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
So now that I've got the debate going on switching up the run groups............ :)

So I'm guessing the IT7 paddock area is the place to be.............. Do I need a password or special handshake to get in?? Oh wait, I forgot who I'm dealing with.......... just bring some food or alcohol and i should be good!!

StephenB
05-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Interesting fact..... about 50% of all entries including SRF and open wheel cars are mazdas... never really looked before someone just mentioned this to me but not surprised either.

Stephen

Greg Amy
05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
At some point you truly do realize that resistance is futile...look at the number of people in this thread alone that have left "other viable options" and bought a Miata...

Dano77
05-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Just so everyone knows, I have always run a Mazda Products. And after a brief stint in the car that shall remain nameless, I went back to where it all began.

Yes I owned and raced a Miata, Now I race Mazdas first sports cars with a proper sounding engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlY8Lve60g

georgethefierce
05-16-2014, 10:26 AM
So now that I've got the debate going on switching up the run groups............ :)

So I'm guessing the IT7 paddock area is the place to be.............. Do I need a password or special handshake to get in?? Oh wait, I forgot who I'm dealing with.......... just bring some food or alcohol and i should be good!!

gotta run in the 20's to be accepted.

jwasilko
05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
gotta run in the 20's to be accepted.

In a IT7 car or anything?

I did 1:20.8 last week on the chicane/chicane config :-)

Tim Dugan
05-17-2014, 07:31 PM
i agree to keep everybody together as long as we dont go over but cant we get an extension of cars on track? as stated qualifying might be a little tough but the large field to race in will be fun!! See u all at the track!!!

ner88
05-18-2014, 08:13 AM
i heard some scuttlebut last night that if group 2 is over subscribed ITB could be moved to group 4. likely the least trauma move.

That won't work very well already 32 cars in that group!

Andy Bettencourt
05-18-2014, 08:57 AM
What does racing a Miata have to do with a run group conversation? Maybe this is the year the converts will go faster in their 'new' cars than they did in there non-Mazda products! LOL

Bottom line? If the IT guys can't make the numbers to break out the groups than I think it's kinds cool to have the whole class in a group. ITA has been spoiled for a long time being the 'fastest' class on paper in their group so it's time to gave some fun with faster cars.

dpc
05-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Back in the day, (1979 RX-7) didn't we all run together ?????long time ago

Raceman77
05-19-2014, 09:20 AM
The gate is always open jeff. we don't lock anyone out. we just shun them. you know where we are at. just do paddock in my spot.

StephenB
05-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Bummer, up to 46 entries now so if anyone is running the school and gets signed off we will have even more. Looks likely a split is very likely at this point :(

Stephen

Greg Amy
05-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Come play in The Other Miata Sandbox with me and Glenn.

StephenB
05-19-2014, 09:48 AM
I could but then I would be in stu all alone :(

Does anyone know how long the sessions are on the school day, and how many sessions we are having throughout the day? I though I read it somewhere but can't find it.

Andy Bettencourt
05-19-2014, 10:43 AM
It's great to see that run group coming back up to speed. Having too many entries is a good problem to have for the Region!

Raceman77
05-19-2014, 10:58 AM
test session I think are 20 minute sessions. $25 per session. pre pay at registration

RSTPerformance
05-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Not sure how the IT7 guys feel but from a purely spectating standpoint, I would love to see SM and IT7 together with a split start...

If group 2 is to big, please start by removing T4 going forward (the entire year!). I am not a fan of that class with IT cars, they are terrible in the turns but fast in a straight line with big brakes. Guaranteed to be an issue on the start/turn 3. I don't see why they are not with T3 and the other cars that are similar.

- Raymond

Greg Amy
05-19-2014, 09:06 PM
I think we should give the Blethans and Friends their own race group.

ner88
05-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Not sure how the IT7 guys feel but from a purely spectating standpoint, I would love to see SM and IT7 together with a split start...

If group 2 is to big, please start by removing T4 going forward (the entire year!). I am not a fan of that class with IT cars, they are terrible in the turns but fast in a straight line with big brakes. Guaranteed to be an issue on the start/turn 3. I don't see why they are not with T3 and the other cars that are similar.

- Raymond

"We don't want them In our group"....put them with the Miatas!

JLawton
05-20-2014, 08:15 AM
What's considered "good" for over all attendance? It looks like all the groups are well subscribed except for the one. And the school seems to have more students than we've had in a few years.

RSTPerformance
05-20-2014, 09:21 AM
I think we should give the Blethans and Friends their own race group.

No need for that! I only have 1 or 2 friends :).

T4 in this group doesnt make sense IMO... keep catagogies together.

The IT7 guys are the current hero's IMO... They have taken a car that had passed its life expectancy and brought them back with a bigger field than they have ever had. As I said, not sure how they feel... Part of me wants to see how they stack up to the ITB cars, and I would love to run with them but part of me wants to watch as well!!! I suggested SM because it would be a large, two class field that could easily be a split start with good racing!

- Raymond

Greg Amy
05-20-2014, 09:27 AM
The IT7 guys are the current hero's IMO...not sure how they feel...
IT7s are the Honey Badgers of SCCA: they don’t give a s**t.

StephenB
05-20-2014, 04:31 PM
I would love to see our group stay together, lots of cars equals lots of racing! I was just concerned we would get over subscribed and wondered what class would get pulled out if one did. Looking forward to this weekend! If I can break away from my little one I can help it with annuals Friday night if you need it. (Not licensed tech inspector just willing to be a grunt if I am free)

Stephen

Matt Rowe
05-20-2014, 05:39 PM
IT7s are the Honey Badgers of SCCA: they don’t give a s**t.

That's not fair. It's not that they don't give a s**t, they just can't hear any of the comments.

ner88
05-20-2014, 05:44 PM
I vote, ITR to big bore :-)

dickita15
05-20-2014, 05:54 PM
that's not fair. It's not that they don't give a s**t, they just can't hear any of the comments.
what!!!

dickita15
05-20-2014, 05:57 PM
I vote, ITR to big bore :-)
Actually moving R and S to big bore would be better balance. Big Bore is small, 13 and S & R adds 14. brings group 2 down to 31

Dano77
05-21-2014, 12:12 AM
In response to Stephen. I am not a fan of all the IT cars together for the plain and simple fact that I wont get to watch friends in the other classes race. We enjoy getting out and then going to watch the Angry B's and the other IT classes. Thats one of the reasons we all became involved in the sport, to watch races. If I were king, IT7 would go to 6 with SM and split the start. Or at least the grid.
This unfortunatly wont work this weekend as the IT7 Class is Chairing the event along with some of them doing Tech and Stewards duties. We wouldnt be able to get some duties accomplished if we were to be moved that late in the schedule.

On the other hand, here comes TRAFFIC MAN!!!!!!!

Greg Amy
05-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I don't know why all the complaints. I *enjoy* racing in mixed-class traffic, it brings in a whole different set of skills and tactics -- and fun

Don't like racing in mixed-class traffic? Well, maybe Spec Miata, SRF, FV - or maybe HPDE? - beckons you.

GA, wishing he was back racing in ITA this weekend...in something other than a Miata...

Edit: what's the max on-track limit for NHMS, with waivers? If that number is exceeded - and I'd shoot for the waiver first - then I recommend moving out whatever group has the smallest number required to meet that waivered limit. Right now that means either T4 (2 cars) and/or ITS (3 cars). If, however, the decision is based on moving someone to Big Bore based on speeds, it would make more sense to move the fastest class, ITR (7 cars).

lawtonglenn
05-21-2014, 10:21 AM

ITS is 3 Both Days + 2 Sunday = 5 cars

The current roster is 47 ... Class Totals: IT7: 10, ITA: 16, ITB: 7, ITR: 7, ITS: 3+2= 5, T4: 2

The limit before waiver is 1.6mi x 25cars/mi = 40

The limit after waiver is ???

dickita15
05-21-2014, 10:29 AM
not sure I understand Glenn, you would not be alone, you would be with ITR and ITS cars. the reason I think that makes sense is there are so few Big Bore cars. also if I was making the call (and I am not) I would want to make one simple move rather that reshuffle cars to different places.

Greg Amy
05-21-2014, 10:29 AM
The limit after waiver is ???
10%...?

dtanthon
05-21-2014, 01:43 PM
10%...?

6.4.1 General

A. 1 car in a class shall constitute a class. A car may not compete in
more than one race class in the same race group.

B. Number of Cars allowed on Course

A maximum of 25 cars per mile may be on the course or started
simultaneously in any type of session.

The Division’s Executive Steward may increase or decrease the 25
car limitation for any or all race groups.

Dano77
05-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Did anyone else notice the Fiat 500 Abarth registered for ITE? That is the perfect car for ITEZ as he is just gonna get run over in ITE.

dickita15
05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi Dick ... what I meant by alone was a few slow cars (us) in a field of fast cars (big bore) ... my suggestion was also one simple move (ITB+T4) > Group 6 :)

i understand and it is not my decision but group 7, big bore only has 14 cars and group 6 has 25 and they are friggin Miatas :)

RSTPerformance
05-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Please don't consider this a "threat", just a statement of fact that should be considered :)

I agree it seems to make the most sense. However, Bob Blake and I have no interest in running big bore by ourselves,
and so if ITS is moved to Group 7, neither of us will double dip, and we will both run STL in Group 4.... Others in the
same situation may or may not do the same thing, you will have to ask them.

We are really really looking forward to racing the whole ITA IT7 big race, and hope that it gets split out differently.
My vote? ... Move ITB (7) and T4 (2) to SM and T3 in Group 6 (26 + 7 + 2 = 35)

glenn and Bob are probably not alone... Having ITS/ITR run in big bore has proven to be a failure at Summit (?) from what I remember. I do not think that grouping is attractive to those competitors. Like it or not, there is some enjoyment of running the fastest car in a race group. That is an attraction to those classes and if you change that it WILL reduce car counts in that class. You might think that is lame but it is the truth, and I think it is reasonable. I have run for years in ITB and while fun, it is a blast when I have run in ITR and Lemons Races and been able to pass people at will. I know for me when my car gets done I would probably try my best not to run with big bore...

next issue... Nobody seems to want to run with Miatas, but guess whait, this class is! They have just changed the class on the side of the car to ITA! We should all respect who we are racing with no matter the class. Fix the issue with expecting the stewards to do a split start like it should be (IMO).

I really hope with probable no shows that they wait until after registration confirmation at track or qualifying to split it, if needed. Otherwise in a perfect world, who WANTS to be in another group?

Raymond "I don't mind being with SM as long as it is a split start. Wish I was racing with my brother but I can't get everything I want!" Blethen

PS: how awesome is it that we are debating this for a race at NHMS!!!!!

ner88
05-21-2014, 09:07 PM
"I'm all for moving classes, just not mine!"

Greg Amy
05-21-2014, 09:17 PM
"I'm all for moving classes, just not mine!"

Yup, me too!

Add to that:

"Hey, I like everyone to be in the same group! But can we split them all out into little starting sub-groups?"

Split starts/grids suck. If you don't like being mixed in with those other cars, drive faster!

GA, still not whining about being with all the Miatas....yet.

JLawton
05-21-2014, 09:22 PM
OK, I'm looking at the weather, I'm old and am pussying out........... Anyone need a garage mate?

(truth is, I have someone who's coming for their first race weekend and want to make it as pleasant as possible...... :shrug:)

RSTPerformance
05-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Yup, me too!

Add to that:

"Hey, I like everyone to be in the same group! But can we split them all out into little starting sub-groups?"

Split starts/grids suck. If you don't like being mixed in with those other cars, drive faster!

GA, still not whining about being with all the Miatas....yet.

why do they suck? Mixed racing is great, especially when there is a speed difference. Reality is though ITB/SM are way to close in speeds after you get past the first 5 or so SM's. no matter how fast I drive the Audi I will be fighting with someone who should be faster and... Never-mind. If you don't get it, you haven't been in my shoes and you won't understand. Split start when racing a "spec" class makes it far more enjoyable for all, especially when the fast class is the spec class.

Raymond "I left ProIT in ITB simply because they didn't split the start with SM... It's not fun for me" Blethen

Greg Amy
05-21-2014, 10:15 PM
why do they suck? Mixed racing is great, especially when there is a speed difference. Reality is though ITB/SM are way to close in speeds after you get past the first 5 or so SM's.

"Mixed racing is great"...as long as I don't have to deal with any other cars outside my class.

"ITB/SM are way to close in speeds after you get past the first 5 or so SM's" Reality check: ALL "xxx" classes are close in speed once you get past the first five or so "YYY" cars. That's the nature of mixed-class amateur racing! The comparative speeds are FAR more dependent on the nuts behind the wheel, which tend to reach a certain level of equilibrium, regardless of what's attached to the other end of that steering column. If you don't like that, then I respectfully suggest you find a race group where all the cars are in the same class. Then you can whine about their relative level of skills or prep level instead...

"I left ProIT in ITB simply because they didn't split the start with SM". You're no longer racing with SM. And yet you're still not happy. So what's it gonna take...? Your own discrete race group? No, wait, you guys want to be the fastest cars on the track, regardless of classes in the group. Hey, I won ITB! :smilie_pokal: ;)

Less whining, more racing. Bullshit stops when the green flag drops. :happy204:

GA, who's laughing quite literally out loud at that "well, you've never been in **MY** shoes" comment, especially given he just finished the NJMP 13 hour race driving The. Slowest. Car. On. The. Track...noting he finished roughly halfway up the roster in that slow-ass car within that awesome "fast group" (a result which, I suggest, is FAR more rewarding than finishing near - but not quite "at" - the top in a fast car)...and has many god-knows-how-many-enduro-hours behind the wheel of ITB cars - hey, wait a sec, isn't that the class you used to race in...? Not to mention - but he will - three decades racing in SSC, SSB, SSA, ITC, ITB, ITA, ITS, STL (did I miss any...?), none of which, as far as he can remember, run in race groups consisting only of their class...dunno, maybe the situations are, well, you know, different...? :shrug:

Edited to add appropriate smilies, before this s**t gets too serious. Green Flag > Bullshit. Checkered Flag: even better.

StephenB
05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Well, I can't wait to get out on track this weekend regardless of my group! Let's race!!!! I will be supporting and cheering for at least one student this weekend, anyone else know someone attending the school? How many new drivers do we have?

Oh and Jeff... bring the car, it's just a "chance" of showers... :/

Stephen

RSTPerformance
05-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Greg- you have plenty of experience... Not disagreeing with you on that. I am not sure it is the same but I am not going to argue that, it's not worth my time. Your enjoyment of racing is probably different than mine, nothing wrong with that.

I like mixed racing, always have, especially when you have small class sizes. It helps keep it so you can "play" with someone. that could be one of the best parts about SCCA racing considering the huge number of classes offered. I also have in the past enjoyed racing with SM, some of my best races! Frankly the only places I didn't enjoy it was in ProIT where there were big fields and a split start would actually IMO make it more fun for the mixed IT classes to run together and spec SM class to run together... Well until a FCY :)

With a 23 car SM field and 7 car ITB field I think it would be more fun if it was a split start, that is, if we got grouped with them (Other than IT7 - who have other obligations this weekend preventing a move, seems to make the most sense if a seperation is needed).

Raymond "see you at the track" Blethen

RSTPerformance
05-21-2014, 11:33 PM
"Mixed racing is great"...as long as I don't have to deal with any other cars outside my class.

Edited to add appropriate smilies, before this s**t gets too serious. Green Flag > Bullshit. Checkered Flag: even better.

Please don't put words in my mouth... That elevates this s**t beyond people having different opinions and makes it so it gets to serious. I am not interested in a debate, just providing my input.

jeff L- just watched weather, rain Friday but the weekend looks great, no rain!

Raymond

Ed Funk
05-22-2014, 06:38 AM
(truth is, I have someone who's coming for their first race weekend and want to make it as pleasant as possible...... :shrug:)[/QUOTE]

Another new girlfriend?!?

ner88
05-22-2014, 07:14 AM
At least in SM you know what to expect.
and....we don't need other classes as field fillers!
see you at the track :-)

gran racing
05-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Like it or not, there is some enjoyment of running the fastest car in a race group.

If ITR / ITS were moved, other people get that enjoyment. ;)

Just enjoying the read. lol

Andy Bettencourt
05-22-2014, 02:30 PM
What do people consider an acceptable difference in lap times in the name of safety?

MMiskoe
05-22-2014, 02:41 PM
What do people consider an acceptable difference in lap times in the name of safety?

Interesting question, not sure if lap time is the deciding factor. It is more on the lines of if the cars move in similar fashions - straight line speed vrs apex speeds and if the other drivers get all pissy about mix class racing and will either race you cleanly or give you room to get by.

First wheel to wheel race I ever did I got passed by a Trans-am/GT1 car on the front straight at Bridgehampton. Closing speed was 50mph+. But we all played well together and no issues. OTOH, I've been yelled at by other class drivers and slammed on this forum because I didn't give up my fight for position to allow someone else to get through with lap times w/in a second of each other.

Andy Bettencourt
05-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Testing, Qual, results...those of us wishing we were there need updates!!! Post here. Thanks!!!

jwasilko
05-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Test day was wet, ranging from mist to fairly heavy rain.

Some cars in the school session had accidents, not sure what else.

I don't think anyone won the test day though.

MMiskoe
05-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Well, the weather was on & off as well as some of the cars.

Rain in the morning until about group 5, then it was nice, until group 6 - SM race in the afternoon when it rained like Noah talked about. So SM and ITE/ITR/GT/AS races were in heavy rain and surprisingly, they finished under green. Unlike ITA,B,C,S,7 and STL which were dry races, but finished under yellow.

Dick P. congratulated the rescue guys for doing hot pulls during group 2 qualifying, but then had a major failure in turn 3 rendering his Dino-7 a tripod and we finished behind the pacecar. This race however went off well considering the grid was scrambled due to the rain, very few problems at the first few laps. ITR got moved to group 7 and I was the only ITS car, so I either won, or came in dead last depending on your view.

ITA - Jeff Wasilko
ITB - Nat Wentworth
IT7 - Dan Sheppard

Group 4 STL SSM had two cars tangle in turn 6 and we were done after about 8 laps.

STL - Greg Amy
SM2 Jimmie Locke
STU - Cy Peak
SSM - Peter Fail

StephenB
05-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Tim Dugan ran away with his ITS converted to ITR BMW in the rain today about 2 seconds a lap faster then the rest of us. Doc came in second in his bmw just ahead of Russ in his newly converted ITS to ITR 944 and I watched closely behind in 4th with the RX8. The three of us were equal with each other in lap times but all stayed safe! I have drastically changed my car set up for tomorrow and excited to try it out!

Stephen

jwasilko
05-25-2014, 08:57 PM
As Matt said, Qual for ITA on Saturday morning was in the rain. Traffic was pretty heavy with the large car count and recent school grads. I thought I had a solid lap down and traffic was getting worse so I came in mid-way thru the session. Jeff Lawton stayed out until the end and bested me by by more than a second. He got pole for the the afternoon race with me in 3rd.

In the afternoon race, Jeff Lawton got together with the Blethens 3-wide in turn 3 on the first lap which made for an interesting start. Matt Miskoe and I had some fun racing, but I was dealing with a motor that was running hot and I kept having to duck out of traffic to get some cooler air. I ended up 2nd with a new T4 BRZ taking first. Matt Miskoe and Abhi were behind me.

In the cooler weather this morning I had no cooling issues and managed to put down a 1:15.874 and won the race. As Matt said, the race ended under caution. Robert Blake and Matt Miskoe (ITS) were 2nd/3rd with Matt Rowe and Abhi in 4th/5th.

I started from pole for the last race but didn't start as well as I could have and both Matt and Abhi got by me by turn 3. Traffic and a repeat of the overheating left me in 3rd overall in ITA. Blake/Lawton in the ITS RX7 took 1/2 and Abhi and Matt in ITA took 3/4. Matt Miskoe and I had some more fun racing but the cooling problems left me a bit behind. He finished ahead of me in 5th overall.

It was a fun weekend and I'm looking forward to the soft open at Thompson in a couple of weeks, and also the installation of a new radiator tomorrow!

dickita15
05-26-2014, 07:34 AM
I agree with Mr Miskoe. For safety I worry mostly about the weight of the cars being not a big range and for fun if the cars race different i want enough speed difference that they pass easily without make desperate moves.

JLawton
05-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Jeff and Abhi had awesome weekends. Hats off to both. Jeff was on fire in the morning race............ and was nice enough to loan me a part that helped me through the last race............ In which I came in third in ITB! :)

I was praying for rain the whole weekend................... :(

Other than the little incident Ray and I had, I think it was fairly clean weekend with everyone?

Hope the car is ready for LRP..............

gran racing
05-26-2014, 09:24 AM
You better be ready for Lime Rock!

Andy Bettencourt
05-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Nice write up!!! Have fun at LRP!!!

Raceman77
05-26-2014, 09:43 AM
well all in all things went well. thanks to the workers for there work in the rain and all the operational people that were in place. great job by all. also thanks to mazza vineyards of Pa for being the sponsor for the NE Divisional Series. www.mazzawines.com (http://www.mazzawines.com)

JLawton
05-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Crap, I forgot to talk about the operation of the weekend. Very challenging during the school for workers and students. Great group of students, probably the best over all attitudes of any of the years........... Except the guy (I forgot what he drove) that made fun of Dave and Doug's camper......... he almost didn't get signed off......... But everyone did a great job of staying within their limits. Tough conditions all around.

I cant say enough about the workers who had to stand in it all day long........... and then the next morning They are awesome for the support they gave us.

JB did an awesome job! Great weekend operationally. Thanks JB!! And over all "niceness" of all the volunteers was above and beyond. Registration, tech, stewards. NER is top notch!!

Also a good job with the hot pulls. We could have easily spent twice as many laps under full course yellow but those guys were on their game.

And thanks to the IT7 guys for the entertainment! On and off the track!! And thank you Dan for being patient with me despite my on-track problems. :) (I hope I'm not ruining your reputation) Don't worry, Jamie gave me a ration of shit every time she saw me to make up for it!! LOL

dickita15
05-26-2014, 01:43 PM
It did seem to go well considering the friggin rain. I ended up working tech for the school Thursday night and Saturday as no one else could. a few of you gave me a hand Thursday night which i appreciate but i really want to thank Denise Van Buren for helping me all Friday morning. I am sure i could not of kept up without her.
Dave Lapoint showed up Friday night to chief the rest of the weekend and i am grateful.
Group two Saturday qualifying sucked, no so much sucked as it seemed like ice. too stiff a car and too hard a tire and i was slowwwwww. 8th out of 10 in class i think. thank god there were two newbies to beat.
The afternoon race went well. Fair start, Buchello's car laid down a bit, Lavigne missed a shift, JB slipped up a little in 6. some fun with Denise and a Branscome and Raymond Blethen and I are moving up and i am catching Drew in the second place 7. Drew does not see me hiding behind the Audi. this is going to be good.
then going thru turn three a big bump, a quick spin and i am stuck in the middle of the track. left rear wheel had parted company. one stud pulled out of the axle and the other three broke in sympathy.
sorry to everyone for shortening your race. see you all at Thompson.

georgethefierce
05-27-2014, 07:59 AM
From a new guys perspective the weekend was great, school in the rain was a real eye opener, thanks to the instructors and every one in the paddock that gave me advice, I learned a ton and had a blast...super special thanks to the It7 guys, you all made my first race weekend the most enjoyable experience it could have possibly been!

YusufA
05-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Here is the URL for the Memorial Weekend photos. I'm transitioning my site and this is a quick and dirty gallery.

http://abudiphotography.com/pa/lr/NHMS-May-24-25-2014/

kcolbey
05-27-2014, 09:00 PM
As a newbie to the track, I was in relatively happy with the weekend. My dad passed the school, but needs another school before his license. The torrential rain really messed with him, as all he got was mist on the windshield. As for my own racing, thanks to all the leaders for not running me over as I was being lapped (again, and again). I got faster in almost every session, until the Sunday afternoon race where I just hung around my morning quick time (but much more consistent). The other highlight, I wasn't last!
I installed some new brakes over the winter and what I found out was that they are really strong, but touchy. In the hairpin at 3, I had a couple lockups, one I'm sure which caused some commotion at the corner station, as I missed the concrete by about 6 inches. What it is telling me is I need more tire, or at least not super old heat cycled tires. Look forward to running with you guys again.

Greg Amy
05-27-2014, 09:50 PM
A new one-handed technique. While holding the transaxle into 3rd and 5th. Without power steering. With a 13B-powered Miata chewing on my ass.

Never again. Arms/shoulder hurt; way too much work. Need to be a steward and just DQ people instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGJzsFq6AGQ

mossaidis
05-27-2014, 10:05 PM
A new one-handed technique. While holding the transaxle into 3rd and 5th.

Needle bearings on 3/5 shaft or 3/5 shifter fork?

Greg Amy
05-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Needle bearings on 3/5 shaft or 3/5 shifter fork?
Even better: I'm flying in, from Ohio, a Honda transaxle-specialist/scientist, who will be doing DNA-chemical/carbon-dating/genetic-testing/climate-warming evaluation on said transaxle while the rest of of us grill various forms of protein, all while simultaneously consuming various brewed/malted/fermented beverages (except for the "flying" part; he's coming in via Greyhound and Metro North).

Translated: party at Kessler's on Saturday. MistaBone's showing up. BYO protein and beer. No, really, seriously.

GA

mossaidis
05-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Even better: I'm flying in, from Ohio, a Honda transaxle-specialist/scientist, who will be doing DNA-chemical/carbon-dating/genetic-testing/climate-warming evaluation on said transaxle while the rest of of us grill various forms of protein, all while simultaneously consuming various brewed/malted/fermented beverages (except for the "flying" part; he's coming in via Greyhound and Metro North).

Translated: party at Kessler's on Saturday. MistaBone's showing up. BYO protein and beer. No, really, seriously.

GA

I read "Ohio" "Honda" "Transaxle"... I am like "Bones"? Yup. Have fun - say hi to "transzex" for me.

JLawton
05-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Here is the URL for the Memorial Weekend photos. I'm transitioning my site and this is a quick and dirty gallery.

Once again, spectacular pictures! Thank you! I really like the ones over looking the speedway with the clouds (I'm assuming that was Sunday)

georgethefierce
05-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Once again, spectacular pictures! Thank you! I really like the ones over looking the speedway with the clouds (I'm assuming that was Sunday)

agree 100% thanks for standing out in that crappy weather to grab some awesome pics!

Andy Bettencourt
05-28-2014, 08:59 AM
A new one-handed technique. While holding the transaxle into 3rd and 5th. Without power steering. With a 13B-powered Miata chewing on my ass.

Never again. Arms/shoulder hurt; way too much work. Need to be a steward and just DQ people instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGJzsFq6AGQ

I can't think of one track I'd mind trying to drive one handed but NHMS would be at the bottom of the list. Nice job.

jwasilko
05-28-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks for sharing! Some amazing shots there!