PDA

View Full Version : MyLAPS SURVEY

joeg
02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Who got the Survey? (New transponder design)

Greg Amy
02-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Copy/Paste...? What are they changing? Will it be cheaper? Will old equipment be compatible?

jwasilko
02-28-2014, 12:52 PM
It's a new transponder design:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/timing-systems/x2/721

Based on the questions, they're considering making it a subscription model only. The transponder has a sort of security key on it that you have to plug into your USB port to authorize.

More bad news, IMHO.

joeg
02-28-2014, 12:53 PM
MYLAPS X2 - The future of racing.
View in browser (http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=fdd72bdedadf9b83d2967a5c8&id=abd77f8187&e=7be75cb0df)

[/URL][URL="http://mylaps.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fdd72bdedadf9b83d2967a5c8&id=0de2056c6a&e=7be75cb0df"] (http://mylaps.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fdd72bdedadf9b83d2967a5c8&id=0de2056c6a&e=7be75cb0df)

Dear ________________
This year we will introduce the new X2 transponder, which will be a substitute for the current rechargeable and direct power car/bike transponder. The X2 transponder has a complete new design and will offer you more than lap times in the future.

We would like to receive feedback on the concept and learn how we can improve the transponder. Therefore we would like to ask you to fill out a short survey (http://mylaps.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fdd72bdedadf9b83d2967a5c8&id=51da5d7498&e=7be75cb0df). The survey should take about 10-15 minutes of your time and can be accessed by clicking on the link below:

Enter the survey (http://mylaps.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fdd72bdedadf9b83d2967a5c8&id=66cdf90871&e=7be75cb0df)

Greg Amy
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Based on the questions, they're considering making it a subscription model only.
Yeah, f u.

Looks like my couple of existing ones just jumped in value. And it's WELL past time for a value-priced open-source solution.

Holy hell these companies catering to racers just think we're an endless fountain of money...

GA

chuck baader
02-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Answer to Q7: If your web site were as easy to search as the previous one, I would be very satisfied with the current.

Z3_GoCar
02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
answer to q7: If your web site were as easy to search as the previous one, i would be very satisfied with the current.

lol -> rofl

georgethefierce
02-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah, f u.

Looks like my couple of existing ones just jumped in value. And it's WELL past time for a value-priced open-source solution.

Holy hell these companies catering to racers just think we're an endless fountain of money...

GA

this.^^^...$500 transponder is ridiculous....i can only imagine how much this new one will be.

Matt93SE
02-28-2014, 04:39 PM
The new TRANSPONDER will be cheaper. But it'll cost you $75/year to use it.

Greg Amy
02-28-2014, 04:44 PM
The new TRANSPONDER will be cheaper. But it'll cost you $75/year to use it.
How can that possibly be enforced? Will it still register a hit across the line? If not, why not?

Are you going to have to remove the device from the car every year to "re-register" its functions online? If so, I'm guessing 32 microseconds before someone hacks that.

Or is the $75 just a fee to get access to your data online? If that's the case, this company values its online "services" way too much and has no effin clue about its user base. It should be paying me $75 to give a sh*t.

GA

Matt93SE
02-28-2014, 05:36 PM
go read the survey information- answers all your questions.

Cliff's Notes: USB-based dongle is loaded with subscription key and communicates with transponder. The transponder itself has an internal clock that stops working at XXX date unless the key is renewed.

It's a way for them to force people to continue to pay for transponder vs. a single one-time hit. Forcing themselves into a constant income stream- capitalism, baby!

Greg Amy
02-28-2014, 05:56 PM
go read the survey information- answers all your questions.
Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA

Matt Rowe
02-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA

This forum needs a "like" button for these kind of moments. While I'm not positive someone will take on the open source challenge that tGA suggests I am sincerely hoping it comes to pass. The market is definitely in need of some competition and this isn't rocket science.

seckerich
02-28-2014, 11:23 PM
http://www.hardcardsystems.com/solutions/

Getting closer.

forestdweller37
03-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Competition: http://www.raceceiver.com/Drivers/shop/category/timing&scoring/

$200 for a hardwired transponder beats $480 or a subscription based service.

Greg Amy
03-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Is it compatible with all the existing systems?

lawtonglenn
03-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Greg ... here is the link to the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X2transponder

forestdweller37
03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Is it compatible with all the existing systems?

I don't know. We're looking for ways of doing timing for Club Trials for my local SCCA region and are finding the costs of MyLaps/AMB transponders to be a major barrier.

Chip42
03-01-2014, 10:33 AM
left them a comment in the survey:

subscription models change a large one time cost for what you hope is a more palatable ongoing cost. Amateur racers are not stupid - you can't be stupid, nor lazy, and have the funds needed to play in this sandbox. your company is already the focus of much anger among the SCCA, NASA, etc... communities. your pricing has always been at issue and your recent website "upgrade" was not the PR you wanted. this move will end your monopoly and I suggest you reconsider your intended position.

Greg Amy
03-01-2014, 10:37 AM
^^^ Virtually identical to what I just left them, using words like "competition" and "monopoly" and 'we are not stupid'.

This company was teetering on the edge with the racing community. They've overplayed their hand. Methinks they just pushed us right over the cliff...

I've sent Raceiver an email, asking if their stuff is compatible with existing systems. I may also consider just buying one to see for myself.

GA

jwasilko
03-01-2014, 03:32 PM
http://www.hardcardsystems.com/solutions/

Getting closer.

A group that I time-trial with (COM Sports Car Club) has started using the HardCard system. It's not ideal, but mostly works for our time trials when there are only 4-5 cars on track at a time. We've had problems on cars with metallic glass. Miatas and Corvettes also are problematic (go figure).

mazdagt3
03-01-2014, 07:09 PM
My reply to them....

Why should I have to pay a subscription? You guys have a monopoly allready. Go fuck yourselves! The amateur sanctioning bodies and racers will eventually turn their back on you. $480+ for a direct power unit? You guys are smoking crack. I hope your company implodes in to a complete failure for your greed.

Flyinglizard
03-01-2014, 11:39 PM
The transponders are pretty easy to make.
The systems and software are the sticking points. If somebody can do the software..

tom91ita
03-02-2014, 09:09 AM
scca should also step in as this is becoming another barrier to entry or is at least a perceived barrier.

In the last couple of seasons, my transponder has seen service in 3 different cars.

The transponder cost is already at a point that folks are lending/borrowing them. The one downside is if you want to be in the same race group as your friends.

Ron Earp
03-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Filled that survey out and let them have it. I'm not interested in a subscription based transponder.

What they should have done is kept the old unit and charged racers a modest yearly fee for access to data on the Mylaps.com website. That is, if they can get the website to work. I haven't been on it since it swapped over a couple years back and was essentially non-functional.

Dano77
03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
A hard wire unit is 480?????? Holy crap, thats a third of the cost of a car.

Guess I need to do the survey instead of deleting the email.

StephenB
03-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Hmmmm this was a great idea 10years go... Back before smart phones and tablets. This idea is terrible, the home PC is a thing of the past along with USB ports... So sad they thought they had a cool new idea.

I recommend they go make a good phone app and sell that, they would make a lot more money... Oh wait that happened a few years ago already... from someone else...

ITC69
03-03-2014, 02:04 AM
forwarded the survey to the Atlanta Region Chief of T&S to complete also. :DAfter her experiences with a wrong box Shipped by AMB I'm sure her comments were not great.:014:

tom91ita
03-03-2014, 07:56 AM
So what are the major motorcycle race orgs using? Amb as well?

Many larger tracks also have cycle events. So perhaps they are set up for more than one?

Otherwise, a passive RFID system like motor-tally should be doable.

Spa67
03-03-2014, 10:42 AM
It's the freaking monopoly that I hate so much. Oh, and I had to remount mine because it's only rated to 124deg and was failing.

tderonne
03-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Am I just old? I remember when transponders were new. Made timing easier, needed fewer people to run. Is anyone talking about dropping transponders all together? Using the old timing light and some updated software seems possible, no?

Related....I have an extra transponder, but it's in my name. They still charging to put into someone else's name? I'd like to help a new racer, but hate send money to AMB to do it.

Greg Amy
03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Is anyone talking about dropping transponders all together?
no. the issue is that AMB keeps jacking teh price for a required item, with no customer opportunity for alternate solutions.

Related....I have an extra transponder, but it's in my name. They still charging to put into someone else's name? I'd like to help a new racer, but hate send money to AMB to do it.
You won't. You only have to pay AMB if you wish to get the online account changed to someone else. It works perfectly fine otherwise. Were I a racer in need of a transponder, I think I could do without getting my lap times online to save hundreds of dollars.

GA

georgethefierce
03-04-2014, 03:22 PM
You won't. You only have to pay AMB if you wish to get the online account changed to someone else. It works perfectly fine otherwise. Were I a racer in need of a transponder, I think I could do without getting my lap times online to save hundreds of dollars.

GA

Indeed, and I would be very interested in buying a cheap/used transponder.

tderonne
03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
.... with no customer opportunity for alternate solutions.

GA

There's my point. Maybe I was too subtle. There IS an alternate solution. A timing light and tape, like it used to work.

Greg Amy
03-04-2014, 04:01 PM
There's my point. Maybe I was too subtle. There IS an alternate solution. A timing light and tape, like it used to work.
Yes, but it's not a viable solution. We're so short-staffed now at races that there's just no practical way we could consistently get an add'l 6-12 volunteers to run stopwatches. That's how AMB got their nose under our tent... - GA

Matt93SE
03-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Were I a racer in need of a transponder, I think I could do without getting my lap times online to save hundreds of dollars.

GA

I'd say probably 25% of my races never get published on mylaps anyway... It seems that any time there's a protest in our region, the timing info is held from upload until all of that is sorted--- then it's forgotten about in the 6 months it takes to get the protest sorted.

Spa67
03-04-2014, 08:55 PM
While looking for cheaper alternatives I found the RC guys have the same gripe with Mylaps. Seems like despising their monopoly is universal

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/379640-rise-up-against-ambrcs-overpriced-transponders-stop-madness.html

But i do wonder if the whopping $90 transponders they complain about would work for us.

Greg Amy
03-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Nope, different frequency.

Yet another reason to despise the company.

Flyinglizard
03-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Like i said, I have team members that can build the transmitters to the proper RX. the software and supporting track aggreements are the hard parts.

jumbojimbo
03-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Like i said, I have team members that can build the transmitters to the proper RX. the software and supporting track aggreements are the hard parts.

Yup, you can build the transponders, but I'm sure the licensing agreement of the software prohibits using them. And definitely no way you are going to upload data to mylaps with rogue transponder numbers.

Greg Amy
03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
...but I'm sure the licensing agreement of the software prohibits using them.
How will the system know? Does it use encryption (I doubt it).

And definitely no way you are going to upload data to mylaps with rogue transponder numbers.
Which is why I'll gladly pay you $20 for that dead transponder sitting in your toolbox, and/or the number of that one you threw into the landfill a couple years ago...I'm sure you wrote that number down somewhere (like in your logbook), right...?

GA

stevestratton
03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking a bar code decal, on both sides of the car and video are a cheaper way to go. The larger cost is in the cameras and video analysis software, virtually no cost for racers. I'm going to talk to some friends that do video work for DHS.

Greg Amy
03-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm thinking a bar code decal, on both sides of the car and video are a cheaper way to go.
Only problem there is when three Miatas go by T&S side-by-side...

stevestratton
03-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Yeah thought about that after the post, a third decal on the nose with overhead camera.... But it's all over come the need for very high speed cameras and very good lighting. That's why the state/city speed camera use a massive flash subsystem to get license plate definition at lower speeds. The guys I talked to said you could build it but it would cost truckload of $$$$ to implement. They said RFID or transponders are better suited to our requirements.

Flyinglizard
03-06-2014, 09:37 AM
I phone app

tderonne
03-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Electronic toll road hardware and software?

You'd get charged every lap, but the transponders are cheap.

stevestratton
03-06-2014, 05:32 PM
That would work with the new sensors but require and overhead structure to mount them. Car mounting would be interesting....