PDA

View Full Version : Brake Duct question

Vance
02-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Can I cut a hole in the bumper cover and install ports for brake ducting?

Vance

Greg Amy
02-27-2014, 10:29 PM
And The Oracle (http://www.scca.com/assets/2014%20GCR%20March1.pdf) SAYS...!

Maybe.

9.1.3.D: "Modifications shall not be made unless authorized herein." Or..."if it doesn't say you can, then you can't".

Are you running an airdam? If not:

9.1.3.D.8.b: "Where no air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings of a maximum [blah blah] maybe cut in the front valance so that brake ducts can be added..."

Running the allowed airdam?

9.1.3.D.8.b: "Where an air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings may be cut in the front valance to allow the passage of up to a three (3) inch diameter duct leading to each front brake/rotor assembly."

So...what's "a valance"...?

Discuss.

GA

Ed Funk
02-28-2014, 08:15 AM
What's a Valence? I don't even know who shot him! (Age test)

Tom Blaney
02-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Well, actually if your car had indents for driving lights or fog lights (like some of the CRX/Civic's do then you can use that opening to run the ductwork.

gran racing
02-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Wouldn't it just be a lot easier to buy one of the Flyin' Miata style air dams, use the brake duct holes they have and possibly gain some benefit from the air dam?

lawtonglenn
02-28-2014, 09:36 AM
What's a Valence? I don't even know who shot him! (Age test)

I didn't know he was shot!... I thought he crashed with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper :shrug: :D

chuck baader
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Give me Liberty:eclipsee_steering:

Vance
02-28-2014, 02:47 PM
My interruption of the GCR is the bumper cover is part of the valance so I can add holes for the air ducts there. As usual the GCR is a little vague so I wanted to see what the forum members thought before cutting the holes.

Greg Amy
02-28-2014, 02:57 PM
My interruption of the GCR...the GCR is a little vague

No "interpretation" needed. Not "vague".

GCR Appendix F, Technical Glossary:

"Valance – Bodywork welded or bolted to the cars body/structure, at the front or rear of a car, normally but not always located behind and/or below the bumper.

Forum GCR-reading "fale"... ;)

Vance
02-28-2014, 03:07 PM
I did not look in the glossary for the definition of valance. My bad :blink:

Greg Amy
02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
I did not look in the glossary for the definition of valance. My bad :blink:
Rules weenies know to look in the TG for definitions of words...hoping to not find them in there... ;)

Chip42
02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Miata technically doesn't HAVE a valence as the bumper makes a sort of nose cone. that said, holes below the top of the grill opening will not be met with any second looks, just follow the opening size rules as per the ITCS.