PDA

View Full Version : Best rain tires for IT7

MazdaRXV8
12-03-2013, 02:56 PM
So I have three sets of wheels with either the Toyo RA1 or R888.

What is the best 13" tires for Rains?

Greg Amy
12-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Hoosier Dirt Stockers.

mossaidis
12-03-2013, 03:37 PM
+1

StephenB
12-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Yup, that was easy!! :-)

jwasilko
12-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Hoosier Dirt Stockers.

Are those legal?

Greg Amy
12-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Are those legal?
Yup. I questioned their DOT status many, many moons ago but last I recall - and unless they've stopped certifying them - they're DOT-legal. Only thing they're made for now is smaller-size dirt track cars, and only in 13". Wouldn't hurt to check on their DOT status before buying.

Now, they ABSOLUTELY SUCK as an intermediate tires. Won't last but a few laps. Truly the suck. But if it's pouring buckets, ain't nothing better.

- GA

mossaidis
12-03-2013, 04:53 PM
If there's a DOT number on them, then they are DOT legal.

Greg Amy
12-03-2013, 04:57 PM
If there's a DOT number on them, then they are DOT legal.
Correct. However, it is illegal to mold tires with a DOT insert if they are no longer DOT-approved. One cannot assume that since they "used to be" DOT-approved that they automatically still are...and unless that DOT-cert carries for life, I can't imagine Hoosier spending the time and money to continue certification on a tire used for dirt track roundy-round...

Edit: here ya go. Hoosier "Oval Track D.O.T. Dirt" tires (http://hoosiertire.com/otdtire.htm).

Edit, Part Deux: BTW, they're bias-ply tires. If you're never raced on bias you're in for a surprise... ;)

Ed Funk
12-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Different tread pattern than the old Dirt Stockers we knew and loved.

TomL
12-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Ed - I'm pretty sure the 13 inch Dirt Stockers still use the old "good" open tread pattern that you and I love. The Hoosier catalog has for several years listed the Dirt Stockers as having the L pattern tread described as Super Chain Link. That pattern is indeed inferior to the old Chain Link pattern for rain use. However, despite what the catalog shows, every set of 13" Dirt Stockers I've bought has the "good" pattern. The last set I bought early this year was the same.

I think the newer pattern is used on 15" Dirt Stockers, but they've never updated the 13 inchers to it - thank goodness.

Ed Funk
12-04-2013, 06:28 AM
There goes my credit card....headin' to the phone by itself!

mossaidis
12-04-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm#SPORTS CAR DOT BIAS

P205/60D-13** "Super Chain Link" thread. It's the only wet bias-ply with DOT.

Greg Amy
12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
^^^ There you go, that's your Dirt Stocker. 205/60-13 only.

joeg
12-04-2013, 12:57 PM
And that style is the same forever.

They tend to dry rot/ crack with age; they will burn-off on a damp track, but were better than the new Hoosier Wets in a deluge.

Since they do not last in storage, I would go with the new Wets--better overall in damp/ wet conditions.

TomL
12-04-2013, 01:34 PM
I agree that the Hoosier Wets are better overall than Dirt Stockers (except the price!!). They work about as well in very wet conditions and are better in light to moderate. However, if we're talking IT7, at least in the SE division, Dirt Stockers are the only allowed wet tire (besides the Toyo RA1 or 888). Hoosier Wets wouldn't be legal.

MazdaRXV8
12-08-2013, 11:30 AM
I can't say that I have ever raced let alone driven on Bias Ply tires (perhaps when I first started driving in the late 70's). What kind of changes to the Alignment are needed?

What kind of shelf life do the Hoosiers have if they are stored properly?

My car came with a set of stock wheels with 185/70-13 Bridgestone RE-71S that were date stamped 1999! Obviously these were dumped.

dickita15
12-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I bought my Hoosier radial wets in 2007. I think they are far more versatile that the dirt stockers and far more durable. I have not used them a lot maybe 3 or 4 sessions a year but they are still good. I got a pole in wet qualifying last Memorial Day against 6 or 7 competitors on them.
Of course that might have been because of my awesomeness and not the tires.

philstireservice
12-09-2013, 05:16 PM
You could always regroove Toyo RA-1's. It makes them pretty darn amazing....

TomL
12-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Last time I checked, that is also illegal. Section 9.3.45 - IT tires may not be regrooved once they leave the manufacturer.

MazdaRXV8
12-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Considering the weather we have in the southeast, I probably need to pickup a set of Hoosiers.

For light rain conditions, which Toyo is best?

BruceG
12-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Toyo RA1's seemed like a decent compromise in the rain.drove my 2nd race ever at LRP in a downpour.That was all I had.Dick P forgot to tell me the cutoff broom handle with sponge on the end before the race...LOL. When off drives left between 2 and 3.Not because of tires......but couls not find the track...LOL. Toyo's are cerrtaimly not as good as dirt stockers in a downpour..but you will not burn them up looking for the wet line later!!:dead_horse:

lateapex911
12-15-2013, 06:42 AM
BEst rain tire for the IT7 is by far the dirt stocker. Don't let the bias ply aspect scare you. When its that wet, the bias ply feeling is lost in the sauce.

"Best intermediate" is an interesting question, because "intermediate conditions" are NEVER stable. You need the tire that will be best for the majority of the race. Seeing the future is key. ;) On a drying track, thats not super hot, A compounds can work great.

On a wetish track, when the radar shows more showers coming (Radarscope app for iPhone: $9.99) then chilling on dirt stockers until the skies open can be the right move.. But again the key question is WHEN will the skies open? can be the right move.

You'll notice I didn't name a 'true' intermediate tire. Thats because I think it's the LEAST important category to have. I wanted sets of (4 sets) : Low cycle R compound race rubber. higher cycle R compound race rubber (practice and times when competition is light), true wets (dirt stockers) , and A compound qualifying and cold damp track tires.