PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Double at Summit Point

CRallo
09-04-2013, 01:51 AM
Awesome event, but a busy one for me...

Skipping to the punch line for now, apparently I'm not done with IT just yet!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x140/BlackFireZ28/utf-8BQ2hyaXMgSVRCIFdpbiBNQVJSUyAyMDEzLTA5LTAyIDEzLjQw LmpwZw.jpg

ajmr2
09-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Excellent race, Spencer, always great to see someone succeed with persistence and sheer determination. So was something wrong with the car at MARRS 11? I watched the M12 ITB race from the carousel before I headed home early, hot and tired from the previous 2 days of racing and wanting to save something for MARRS 13. (Excuses, excuses!)

Congrats! :happy204:

CRallo
09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks Art!! We changed drivers on you though ;)

That said, Spencer did well considering he is new there and new to that car and improved as the weekend went on... I coached and crewed for him for the whole weekend and on Sunday evening he asked me to run the Monday B race.

Had a great race and I was very grateful for the opportunity! Even the people I beat thanked me for being there !! Great people. I hopefully will get to make a habit of running this thing, but we'll see...

ajmr2
09-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Sorry Chris, my bad. I just looked at the driver list from MARRS 11 since MARRS 12 was not posted on MyLaps when I commented. Definitely hope to see you again! Perhaps MARRS 13?

CRallo
09-04-2013, 11:24 AM
That's okay, even the announcers were confused!

Knestis
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Chris also modestly doesn't mention how close he was to the B lap record. That's not screwing around.

For my part, I was super-sad to not be in that ITB brawl. The Jetta TDI is really cool and all but the MARRS B field is still some of the best pure road racing on the planet.

K

EDIT - Gratuitous "really cool car" pic follows, courtesy of Mike Kelley

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1239867_10201064851438476_521915430_n.jpg

gran racing
09-04-2013, 01:02 PM
For my part, I was super-sad to not be in that ITB brawl.

How do you think I feel?? :( Glad you had fun with it Chris and the years of development were proven to Spencer.

Did they finally give Jeff U credit for his lap record? What was your fast time Chris?

CRallo
09-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Chris also modestly doesn't mention how close he was to the B lap record. That's not screwing around.

For my part, I was super-sad to not be in that ITB brawl. The Jetta TDI is really cool and all but the MARRS B field is still some of the best pure road racing on the planet.

K

EDIT - Gratuitous "really cool car" pic follows, courtesy of Mike Kelley

Thanks Kirk, not even sure what my official fast time was to be honest... As soon as I got clear I eased up a bit and decided not to go for broke, all I know is that multiple .29's came up on the lap timer.

I was the only B car to not get lapped... That made the last lap very lonely, I drove it as a cool off as there was no need to keep on.

Had a great freaking race the first few laps!! Beth didn't give me an inch and nor did Tom, he kept us both very honest! I gauged the competition, made my final move on the 4th lap or so and managed to get clear by the end of that lap.

I was there crewing and coaching for Spencer Taylor who bought the car from Dave... I drove the car a couple sessions on Friday to gather data and good video to use to work with Spencer as well as check/adjust the setup. The car was very close, I only made three small tweaks. ----> thank you Kessler Engineering!

After the race on Sunday, Spencer asked me to take over driving duties for the ITB race on Monday... of course I obliged! "Go kick some ITB ass!" he said, so I did. :D And he is very happy to have me doing so on his behalf while we develop him as driver. He even picked up the entry fee...

I am very grateful to be working for such a generous team player!!

How do you think I feel?? :( Glad you had fun with it Chris and the years of development were proven to Spencer.

Did they finally give Jeff U credit for his lap record? What was your fast time Chris?

Yes, I believe so... He is credited with a 128.3X. Super fast!! Supposedly it was on a cool day with a tow... as many good records are set. As I said above, I'm not even sure what my official time was, as much as I was tempted to try for it, that wasn't why I was there and it was only my second day in the car...

CRallo
09-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Oh and Kirk, or anyone else, how do I find the photographer(s) from the the event?

ShelbyRacer
09-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Looked great coming past me. Unfortunately, I had nothing to help me get up to the real battles, but instead just had to battle to stay out of the way.

Not to steer away from the OP, but did anyone's logbook get zapped by the neat-and-clean fairies? I heard there was a protest stemming from the arbitrary and capricious nature of the enforcement. Any word on the outcome?

CRallo
09-04-2013, 03:45 PM
They tried on our's... We wouldn't let them near it! Had a heart to heart with Nesbitt... Told him to clean up the series of contact and you won't have this problem! His basic response was chicken/egg and that this is one step toward doing that. We promised to clean it up by next year.

They don't care how good the paint is (I'd just waxed our's), a show paint job over dents won't cut it. I felt that they were reasonable with their expectations. but may have gone about it a bit gruffly.

They won't not let anyone race, but have a strong interest to clean things up... hopefully they do on all fronts and the clean up is a one time cost for everyone.

ShelbyRacer
09-04-2013, 03:53 PM
My issue was *how* it was done, AND the fact that the MARRS series and DC Region (club racing programs at least) seem to think they can dictate policy over a wider area than their own. If you don't want my crinkled rear quarter, then be clear about it and I'll refrain from entering. However, when they place a notation in my logbook, thereby forcing the next Scrutineer to continue *their choice of preferred rules enforcement*, they've exceeded their place by a few orders of magnitude.

My Monday entry was pulled (not only for this reason, but this was the wagonload of straw bales that broke the camel's back) in protest. I do have to say that the DC Region folks I spoke to (including the Event Chair and RE) were very attentive, and I'm hoping my concerns will be addressed. If not, there are other places to race.

CRallo
09-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Thank you. looked like you had some good racing at times regardless of where in the pack it was. My guy had to start at the back and work his way up...

There is a 100 post thread on the "other" IT site... I've not read it all.

Looked great coming past me. Unfortunately, I had nothing to help me get up to the real battles, but instead just had to battle to stay out of the way.

Not to steer away from the OP, but did anyone's logbook get zapped by the neat-and-clean fairies? I heard there was a protest stemming from the arbitrary and capricious nature of the enforcement. Any word on the outcome?

CRallo
09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I agree. Hence the fact that we wouldn't let them anywhere near our log book!

My issue was *how* it was done, AND the fact that the MARRS series and DC Region (club racing programs at least) seem to think they can dictate policy over a wider area than their own. If you don't want my crinkled rear quarter, then be clear about it and I'll refrain from entering. However, when they place a notation in my logbook, thereby forcing the next Scrutineer to enforce the policy, they've exceeded their place by a few orders of magnitude.

My Monday entry was pulled (not only for this reason, but this was the wagonload of straw bales that broke the camel's back) in protest. I do have to say that the DC Region folks I spoke to (including the Event Chair and RE) were very attentive, and I'm hoping my concerns will be addressed. If not, there are other places to race.

ajmr2
09-04-2013, 04:18 PM
When they brought up the issue at the drivers' meeting I thought out loud, "there go most of the 2002s!" Much to my surprise, only one or 2 were cited. I even teased one of them on the way out about how he managed to escape the scrutineers. He just smiled and mumbled something appropriate.
Honestly, it's a lot of work with a couple guys (who will go nameless) to avoid contact. I get chopped off in T1 and T3 on a regular basis by the same guys! Heck, I like my fenders to be straight, ya know? Maybe they know that!

cbuczesk
09-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh and Kirk, or anyone else, how do I find the photographer(s) from the the event?

Look for Mike Kelley on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/mazda.at.speed

Chuck

callard
09-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I can attest to the fact that Chris worked hard for his win. :happy204:
Unlike the other evenings, he refused late night libations and went to bed early before his race. What's the point :blink:

Oh, yeah :smilie_pokal:

ajmr2
09-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Unfair advantage! I'm filing a protest! :024:

CRallo
09-04-2013, 11:55 PM
I can attest to the fact that Chris worked hard for his win.
Unlike the other evenings, he refused late night libations and went to bed early before his race. What's the point :blink:

Oh, yeah

haha thanks Chuck! I didn't get to bed as early as I should have, but the time was well spent...

Chuck

Thanks! I don't see anything from Monday though :(

Unfair advantage! I'm filing a protest! :024:

Sorry Art, but you missed the deadline for such a protest a while ago... :p

Gregg
09-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Finally? The DC Region website has listed Jeff's ITB track record 1:28.19 since he got it in 2010:

http://wdcr-scca.org/ClubRacing/MARRS/LapRecords/tabid/69/Default.aspx

Chris's fast time was a 1:29.30

Results from the weekend are here: http://wdcr-scca.org/ClubRacing/EventResultsCR/tabid/1756/Default.aspx

cbuczesk
09-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks! I don't see anything from Monday though :(

I saw Mike working inside turn 2 on Monday. They probably didn't want him taking pictures while he worked. lol

Chuck

gran racing
09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Finally?

When I was down there a couple years after, it still had Tristian's. Certainly not a big deal but he hauled ass that day and deserves the record, which he has.

Kai Noeske
09-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Chuck

His album seems to be friends-only, but he also uploaded his pics on an open flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55604956@N06/sets/72157635359281166/

Trussell
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Mike worked Fri, Sat & Mon...he only shot on Sunday

Trussell
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Some ITB Race Videos

Steve Monson ITB #95 Volvo 142 @ Summit Point 8/31-9/2/13

Saturday http://youtu.be/X95lmFqNlO0

Sunday http://youtu.be/8fzrqbTEksE

Monday http://youtu.be/cP-HKfyvYZA

ShelbyRacer
09-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Here, I did something constructive with my leftover frustration from the weekend. I can't take credit for the original idea of course, but the dialog is all mine. If you're going to be insulted, blame me. Actually, if you're easily insulted, don't watch. Oh, and the text is PG-13 or higher.

http://youtu.be/z2vnoL_ju7M

StephenB
09-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Haha :-)

Chip42
09-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Matt is the busiest guy I know and always does a good job with whatever he's into.

this was no exception!

Racerlinn
09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
That was awesome Matt. Nice job.

ShelbyRacer
09-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys. I was hoping it would entertain.

And Chip, I know lots of people that would argue the idea of me being the busiest, but I do appreciate the thought! Honestly, most of my success is highly dependent on the people around me, so I just always try to do at least my share. It's easy to get wrapped up in the criticism here, and I hope those involved understand that I appreciate their efforts, even if I don't agree with them. No matter what, SCCA, as a whole, is an amazing group of people, and one with which I'm proud to be associated.

ajmr2
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
(Ice tea and snot coming out of my nose!) :happy204:

callard
09-06-2013, 08:51 PM
It's a little later in the evening for me, so no ice tea. Nasal passages needed a good effervescent cleaning of the alcoholic type anyway.:D
Matt, that was the coolest!

lateapex911
09-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys. I was hoping it would entertain.

And Chip, I know lots of people that would argue the idea of me being the busiest, but I do appreciate the thought! Honestly, most of my success is highly dependent on the people around me, so I just always try to do at least my share. It's easy to get wrapped up in the criticism here, and I hope those involved understand that I appreciate their efforts, even if I don't agree with them. No matter what, SCCA, as a whole, is an amazing group of people, and one with which I'm proud to be associated.
Now Matt, LOL. You should been on the ITAC for the BMW E36 fiasco!

CRallo
09-14-2013, 02:10 PM
LOL Matt!!!!!!