PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NARRC Runoffs @ Lime Rock Park!

RSTPerformance
08-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Looks like we have a format change... I like it but I also don't like it. I have previously enjoyed the one championship race format used up until now. Not sure why they are changing an already very successful weekend???

Raymond

New York Region of the Sports Car Club of America, Inc. presents the
NARRC RUNOFF’S Regional Races and Sprints
At Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, CT.
September 20-21, 2013

Race Group 1: ITS, ITB, ITR, T4
Race Group 2: T3, SM, SM-5, B Spec
Race Group 3: NCF, FV, F500, F600, FST
Race Group 4: SRF
Race Group 5: GT1, GT2, GT3, AS, T1, T2, SPO, ITE
Race Group 6: FA, FB, FC, FE, FF, FM, FS, CFC, ASR, CSR, DSR, S2
Race Group 7: ITA, IT7, ITC, EP, FP, HP, GTL
Race Group 8: SSM, SM2, SPU, STU, STL

Friday, 9/20:
Session 1 - Qualifying by Group (16 minute sessions)
LUNCH BREAK after morning qualifying sessions
Session 2 - Qualifying Sprints by Group (13 laps or 16 minutes)

Saturday, 9/21:
Session 3 – Qualifying Sprint by Group (12 laps or 15 minutes)
LUNCH BREAK after morning qualifying sessions
Session 4 NARRC Runoffs - 20 Lap Races (or 24 minutes) for Race Groups 1-8

NARRC RUNOFF Format Change:
For 2013, grid positions for the NARRC Runoff race on Saturday afternoon will be determined by the best qualifying time in the morning qualifying session on Friday OR by the best time in either one of the Sprints on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. For each class an award will be given to the best combined finisher in both Sprints (i.e. add both finishing positions and divide by two, ties broken by fastest lap time). Award – $50 voucher for next year’s NARRC Runoffs.

Greg Amy
08-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Not sure why they are changing an already very successful weekend???
Because drivers have consistently said, "more racing, less qualifying/practice".

And you can't "race" on Friday, only "qualify" (notice Friday's finishing position is irrelevant on Friday.)

- GA

lawtonglenn
08-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Actually I love it ... three races instead of one? awesome!

This brings me to a-thinkin' ...How about for some races during next year's season we try this:

Instead of each race being 16 laps (or whatever) ... why don't we run two consecutive 8 lap races...
No additional setup, no unbuckling, just gather everyone up after the checker into a second grid and
throw the green again for a second race? ... Maybe we lose a little time in between, so two 7 lap races
(or whatever fits) ... then, in the normal NHMS-esque Triple format, we get:

SATam: Qualifying session (normal length) also serves as warmup and practice
SATpm: Race 1 and Race 2
SUNam: Race 3 and Race 4
SUNpm: Race 5 and Race 6

No victory laps on the first of the two races, just bring the cars in to pit lane and grid them
right there as they drive in, then have the pace car take them from pit lane out for the 2nd start

No more wear and tear on the cars or the people, same track time, but twice as many RACES.... don't
you think that would help attract new crossover blood too?

I'm serious, I would love that!

StephenB
08-26-2013, 11:43 PM
I like it as well!

Glenn, a quick 5 min break would be nice to check issues and such, like the do in WC. We also would not be able to grid on lap time because timing can't finalize that info fast enough. My suggestion is to use the upper pit lane for grid and stagger the races...

Andy Bettencourt
08-27-2013, 12:37 AM
How can we fit 32 laps in on Saturday with all those breaks when we could only do 30 laps with less breaks in previous years?

I agree we have said more 'racing' but one of the cool things about this race was it's length.

It will be a success either way. Can't be afraid to try something new I guess.

ner88
08-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Interesting idea!
I think we did this in June???
Wait until you see our race format at Thompson :)

Do your headlights work?? :023:

Dano77
08-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Glenns format would be great. Only issue would be GRID. We wil need twice as many grid people. Half for false grid, half to setup the second race.

It could be done ON TRACK with a pace car IF all drivers were aware of whats going to happen. Competiton Yellow is what its called. Form up 2x2 and let them fly after 2 laps. No paper work, no upset grid workers.

Issue will be" I finished 1 spot up and jimmy schmidtface gridded in my spot." or "Jimmy passed me after the checker and i am going to take my spot back under yellow." CSA will follow, protest by competiter at least.

Work that out and its a winner.

It isnt ski season yet, why are the ideas coming out now???

AND>>>> Group 7 and 8 will decide the NARRC Championship in a 3 lap shoot out on saturday afternoon. Time permitting. Real tight schedule there.

Dan

ulfelder
08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Because drivers have consistently said, "more racing, less qualifying/practice".
- GA

Bingo. I love the new format.

Andy Bettencourt
09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Registered.

StephenB
09-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Registered.

I heard... u gonna be the first IT guy below 1.00.000 :)

Stephen

Andy Bettencourt
09-17-2013, 07:46 AM
I heard... u gonna be the first IT guy below 1.00.000 :)

Stephen

Doubtful! First weekend on this one.

gran racing
09-17-2013, 07:59 AM
ITS Miata? Or whatcha driving?

Andy Bettencourt
09-17-2013, 08:02 AM
ITS Miata? Or whatcha driving?

Yup. New rental. First time on track, no expectations really...just to have fun!

StephenB
09-17-2013, 12:11 PM
you may not have expectations but we all do! :-) glad to see you getting back on track!!

benspeed
09-17-2013, 09:21 PM
The car Nick had at NJMP? That might go under a minute! Very fast

ulfelder
09-18-2013, 07:03 AM
The car Nick had at NJMP? That might go under a minute! Very fast

That's actually a client car, but the one Andy's driving will be just like it. We had enough inquiries so that we built a rental ITS Miata. I might drive it at several 2014 events myself! :)

JLawton
09-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Looks like some of the classes are a little sparse........ Like ITA. WHat's up with that??? :blink:

But ITB is lookin' good!

Hmmmmm Starting to second guess my decision to go up and watch on Saturday........

StephenB
09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
35 cars in group 1 is looking pretty awesome

15 ITB usually we get close to 20 maybe a few straglers will come!
10 in ITS with a good varity and a championship on the line! where is Capizi?
10 in ITR which I think may be the biggest ITR field at LRP ever.?. Who will get below the 1:00.000 in a race to set a new record?? Speaking of that, do all 3 races count towards a lap record or just the final race of the weekend since we only have 1 sanction.

Shaping up to be a great weekend! NO rain is left in the forecast!!
Stephen

On Edit: Forgot to mention RST is representing in ALL 3 classes... this should be fun :)

lawtonglenn
09-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Actually, in Race 1, we have TWO championships on the line:

ITB

Washay - cannot be caught... congrats!!

ITR

Harrison will be champion UNLESS

Rooke wins AND Harrison finishes 6th or worse, OR
Prout enters and wins AND Harrison finishes 6th or worse
Rooke or Prout finish 2nd AND Harrison DNF or DNS

Albani's position does not count for points as he has no NARRC points going into the NARRCOFFs

ITS

Farbman will be champion UNLESS

Capizzi enters and wins AND Neither Farbman nor Lawton finish 2nd, OR
Lawton finishes ahead of Farbman

The following racer's positions do not count for points: Bettencourt, Jones, Dugan, Fennessey,
as they have no NARRC points going into the NARRCOFFs

:)

lawtonglenn
09-18-2013, 11:02 AM
...do all 3 races count towards a lap record or just the final race of the weekend since we only have 1 sanction....

I would think that the first two, since they are NOT races (euphemistically called Qual Sprints) do NOT count for records

mossaidis
09-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Looks like some of the classes are a little sparse........ Like ITA. WHat's up with that??? :blink:

But ITB is lookin' good!

Hmmmmm Starting to second guess my decision to go up and watch on Saturday........

Yeah, I am sad too about the lack of ITA cars registered. Not sure what's up with that. Gran? Abhi? Deyo? Wasilko? Rowe? Perry? Johnston?

Dano77
09-18-2013, 01:48 PM
And none of the NER IT7 Dinosaur Super Series cars are going either.

Wait, Mike Turchuk is going and will hold the flag at the end of this one. Not sure what flag, but a flag none the less.

We are all parked with vision of snow flakes dancing in our heads, did you see they are making snow at Bretten Woods.. Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!

jimalley
09-18-2013, 07:28 PM
That is hard to imagine. If only I could. One of the races of the year to look forward to.

gran racing
09-19-2013, 06:41 AM
No drivable car for me. :( engine issues.

Andy Bettencourt
09-19-2013, 07:33 AM
No drivable car for me. :( engine issues.

Bummer. Sane here. New rental developed a knock on the dyno yesterday so they shut her down. No time to diagnose and fix before the event.

Enjoy all!

lawtonglenn
09-19-2013, 08:08 AM
arrrgh... I was looking forward to dukein' it out with you Andy!

Andy Bettencourt
09-19-2013, 08:41 AM
arrrgh... I was looking forward to dukein' it out with you Andy!

Kinda bummed. Was estimating 15 more whp, more tire and less weight than my ITA car. That SHOULD send the times well into the mid 1:00 range. DANG!

benspeed
09-19-2013, 12:39 PM
C'mon man! You're Flatout - thrash for it!!!

Alfa Mike
09-19-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm just gonna bring my own flag Dano, then do doughnuts.

Abhi
09-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I am sad too about the lack of ITA cars registered. Not sure what's up with that. Gran? Abhi? Deyo? Wasilko? Rowe? Perry? Johnston?

Too tired and no time to get car ready. Jen and I are coming down to watch for the weekend.

Should be a great race in ITA between Mickey, BJ and Holmes.

Abhi

mossaidis
09-19-2013, 03:20 PM
don't forget Chandler. I think Denise if the in 1.03's now, maybe 1:02s? I can't remember.

PS. At this rate, I don't see myself getting there until fri PM qual race and so I will start from the back = good times.

Abhi
09-19-2013, 03:57 PM
PS. At this rate, I don't see myself getting there until fri PM qual race and so I will start from the back = good times.

And you have a history of such dynamic starts at Lime Rock. :D

How many of us got written up for starting etiquette last year at LRP ? Was it the top six ?

Abhi

RSTPerformance
09-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Qualifying for the race is based on fastest lap in all three qualifying sessions qualifying sessions and Qualifying races, one being Sat AM, so this can easily be a fun 1 day event for anyone!

Raymond

StephF
09-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Well on and off rain for G7 (ITA/prod,etc) made for an interesting day. Dry going to grid, then the drizzle started. And it drizzled harder and harder. A few cars left grid to do rains, although it never was a true rain race. It was snot slick in spots, dry in others.
Everyone behaved first lap/first turn, second lap first turn not so much. Mickey got taken out, a silver Miata, a BMW, and who knows what else got tangled. Mickey was done, broken wheel, front bumper torn off.
Big Bend and west bend stayed slippery. It kept raining on the back part of the circuit.
Denise blew up, a total bummer. :(
Jon Leitner won EP and overall.
Pierkarski (sp) won ITA, silver Miata second, and Ed third :happy204:
Thanks to Johannes deciding to change tires, I was surprised with finding that I had a win in HP.
All in all, we had a good end of season event. Best part of all: Both cars rolled into trailers scuffed but intact. :023:

cchandler
09-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Judging from the damage on Mickey's car and Garry DeLea's Miata, Mickey got into Garry's right door near the apex of Turn 1. Mickey's left front wheel was trashed and the car was not driveable. I was on the outside and avoided contact by driving off track and eventually to within a foot of the tire wall avoiding Garry as he slid and then continued to slide/roll off the track.

When I rejoined, all but two cars had passed me so I knew I had to drive hard to catch. Despite eventually posting the fastest ITA lap time, it wasn't nearly enough to make up for the 15 seconds I lost due to the incident. I lost a few more seconds by getting sideways in 1 on the next lap in my futile attempt to make up time.

I passed nine cars in the ensuing laps to get right behind Ed (P3) on the last lap. Unfortunately, for me, I gave Jonathan Leitner (EP class and overall winner) a point by when I saw him lapping. Jonathan got in front of me and began blocking for Ed and then checked up going into the downhill. BTW, his company's name is on Ed's car and trailer. :rolleyes:

I understand why Jonathan did what he did, but why do drivers continue to block "out of class" cars? It is at best, un-gentlemanly, and at worst, dangerous.

Denise was having a great drive. Too bad her motor failed. At first look, it is completely destroyed with no salvageable parts.

Windell Holmes left false grid when the rain started and never came back. Initially thought he was just leaving to put on different tires.

Ed Funk
09-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Christian, on what I thought was my last lap....I saw the "1" , but it was for Jon, I thought Jon was on a cool down. Then noticed the corners were giving the blue, I started going wide for Jon to get through, but he slowed and hugged the off line side of the track...he said later he was trying to not get involved in our race. Really don't think it was intentional...he's not that kinda driver! It may be small consolation, but you got third place points for NARRC, as this was my first race in that car in NARRC, so I don't get points, and everyone else gets points as if I wasn't there.

cchandler
09-22-2013, 09:42 PM
No worries Ed. I was actually amazed at the coordination between you two, even though it was only coincidental!! :happy204:

StephenB
09-22-2013, 10:39 PM
No 59's this weekend!

ulfelder
09-23-2013, 06:21 AM
No 59's this weekend!

No, but Matt Rooke is knockin' at the door with 1:00.1s. Congrats to Matt on a great weekend. I had nothing for him, Doc Breault or Rob Nimkoff; my car was hooked up, but its driver was rusty.

Now, who wants to buy a very fast ITR S2000? I'm selling.

Ed Funk
09-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Didja tighten your nuts?

StephF
09-23-2013, 06:46 AM
No worries Ed. I was actually amazed at the coordination between you two, even though it was only coincidental!! :happy204:

Got video?

Dave Zaslow
09-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Group 1 ITR-S-B.....

Fred Fox's spinning ITR BMW in front of me

DZ

gran racing
09-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Ouch. :(

What were the B results?

rsx858
09-23-2013, 09:34 AM
No, but Matt Rooke is knockin' at the door with 1:00.1s. Congrats to Matt on a great weekend. I had nothing for him, Doc Breault or Rob Nimkoff; my car was hooked up, but its driver was rusty.

Now, who wants to buy a very fast ITR S2000? I'm selling.

Thanks Steve! I had a blast racing with you guys this past weekend! Must say, If I was in the market for an ITR car, your S2K would be at the top of my list. Dont think I have seen a cleaner build in my life! You guys do fantastic work.

mossaidis
09-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Greetings IT.com community. Here are my videos from Sat:

Qual Race
https://vimeo.com/75176995/

Race
https://vimeo.com/75204120/

Though that race video is my shortest one ever, I intentionally made it longer, about 5 minutes, though it only needed to be 1.5 minutes.

After the incident, I wondered if I had been tagged from behind before my spin since the back end just seemed to give way. And I was upset that Garry DeLea (the silver Miata) starting edging toward me squeezing me between him and the grass on the front straight away long before the Big Bend. Well, I was NOT tagged before my spin. And though what Garry did not help my angle into Turn 1, the back end just gave way after turn 1. If I remember correctly, I looked into my rear view mirror for a split second to ensure I cleared everyone and probably (and from the sound of it) lifted ever so slightly = spin.

I feel bad for all those that were affected, including the Orange EP driver, Bud Jantz-Sell maybe (nice guy), Christian and Garry. Add Tom Hansen to the list since we were scheduled to go to the Last Chance Enduro with the Civic. Not any more since I have no $$ for repairs.

If anyone has video from midpack where they can show us what happened in the front pack, please post it. It would be appreciated.

As far as the car is considered, the universe has it's ironies. I fixed the entire front end earlier in the season. I spent all day Friday replacing the front left wheel bearing, ball joints, the front head light from Summer Thunder.

Ironically destroyed items:
Front head lamps and left corner light
Front Left Wheel bearing and ball joint
Bumper Cover
Bumper
Left Fender

Un-Ironically destroyed items:
Lower Control Arm
Tie rod
Flatten Hoosier tire
Wrecked Enkei RFP1 rim

Questionable:
The front rad support
Steering rack

I think I just cut my budget next year in half.

The Sat highlights were awesome. I had 3 women working on my car, Teresa, our friend Rita and Jennifer Ferreira. NICE! and the car was looking and feeling awesome Saturday morning. Given the wet but drying situation in the pm and had I not spun out, we could have had 2nd and a chance for 1st. Ok, shrug. Yet, I did win the ITA NARRC championship. Thank you all for a great season!

... until next year.

mossaidis
09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
PS. Always great seeing everyone and hanging out with Ed, Steph and the Leitner's!

JLawton
09-23-2013, 11:36 AM
That sucked. It did come around very suddenly!! And it looked like the track was drying. I didn't get to see the PM race but you looked good in the morning race. A couple of more laps and you could have made a race out of it.

But congrats on the the NARRC Championship!!

StephenB
09-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Ouch. :(

What were the B results?

ITR
Matt Rooke
Rob Breault
Rob Nimkoff

ITS
Darrel Stein
Tim Dugan
Robert Blake

ITB
Travis Washay
Raymond Blethen
Charlie Gerundo

gran racing
09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Gary left you enough room and that's where you want to be in the wet anyway. My right front will be just on the right of the yellow blend line. Way more grip than on the left portion of the track. The car sure did snap around quickly. Just curious, did you disconnet the rear bar before going out?

Harsh with car repairs. I totally feel your pain. The earlier LRP repairs cost me over $1,000 not including any cosmetic fixes. Now motor issues. So much for having an actual budget to race. Maybe we should start racing lawn mowers or something like that? lol

How close was Raymond to Travis?

lawtonglenn
09-23-2013, 05:32 PM

Here is a short video of the ITR/ITS/ITB start, first from my car 14, and then
from Bob Blake's 82 a few positions back.

https://vimeo.com/75254172

https://vimeo.com/lawtonglenn

In my video you can see Darrel Stein appearing to lock up his brakes and moving
straight into Stephen's RX8, and as they curl left, I dive right.

In Bob's video you can see Darrel and Stephen curling left, and me diving right and
staying out of it. On the tiny screen at the track it looked like the red S2000 might
have touched Fred Fox to get him spinning, but looking carefully now it appears
to me that he just locked his rears and spun himself... a shame for both Fred and Dave

Alas, my car died on lap 4...at the time thought it was a blown engine, but found
that it was just the fuse to the ignition system ... now we have to find what caused
the fuse to blow.

We had a terrific weekend nonetheless!!... great times, great people, great fun! ...
CONGRATS to John Farbman on a well earned NARRC win! Perhaps I will be able to
challenge again next year :)

StephenB
09-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks for posting the start! I don't think Darrell locked up the brakes, I think that was smoke from tire to tire contact. I think he may have been spooked when Geoff came up the inside, and you simply can't fit three wide through big bend. It is what it is, we both fell back a ways but worked our way back up to the front. The double yellow helped that though!

Stephen

mossaidis
09-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Gary left you enough room and that's where you want to be in the wet anyway. My right front will be just on the right of the yellow blend line. Way more grip than on the left portion of the track. The car sure did snap around quickly. Just curious, did you disconnet the rear bar before going out?

Harsh with car repairs. I totally feel your pain. The earlier LRP repairs cost me over $1,000 not including any cosmetic fixes. Now motor issues. So much for having an actual budget to race. Maybe we should start racing lawn mowers or something like that? lol

Regarding Garry's move, he did admit that he was looking for the dry line. It just seemed like he didn't stop coming over until I was a foot away from the yellow, frustrating since I didn't know how far he was coming over.

It started raining when we were in grid so we didn't have time to change anything.

StephenB
09-24-2013, 08:00 PM
I would have done the same thing if I was Gary. Looks like you carried a little to much speed along with bumping the curb which caused the back to be unsettled. To be honest I think I would have carried the same amount of speed as you did so I may have had the same result. I feel bad for ya, great fast car... You definetly had the pace for a win!

Congrats on the championship.

mossaidis
09-24-2013, 10:56 PM
That sucked. It did come around very suddenly!! And it looked like the track was drying. I didn't get to see the PM race but you looked good in the morning race. A couple of more laps and you could have made a race out of it.

But congrats on the the NARRC Championship!!

I would have done the same thing if I was Gary. Looks like you carried a little to much speed along with bumping the curb which caused the back to be unsettled. To be honest I think I would have carried the same amount of speed as you did so I may have had the same result. I feel bad for ya, great fast car... You definetly had the pace for a win!

Congrats on the championship.

Thanks guys!

raffaelli
09-25-2013, 10:35 PM
I was watching the race on race monitor. I was wondering what happened since opening laps were above 110 and the field seemed to flip itself.

Congrats Mickey, Sorry to hear about the power plant Denise.

StephF
09-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Short one lap video of the end of the third lap. It was slick in spots out there. Johannes went in for a tire change and missed the start. I stayed out on dry's. As long as I didn't take myself out, I had the race, so most of my race video is boring as hell. I drove really conservatively and worked at staying on the track and out of trouble.
This clip shows how slick BB was. I found West Bend to be slick as well.

https://vimeo.com/75161716

Sorry I couldn't embed it. I seem to be technologically challenged today.

mossaidis
09-26-2013, 01:39 PM
IT.com does not make it possible to embed vimeo. It's not you. Thanks for sharing!

StephenB
09-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Start of the ITR ITS ITB race with another view of the wreck.

Stephen

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgyw6HDfdQ

Fred Fox
09-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Here is a link to my in-car video of the crash. It felt like a tap from behind, but I'm not sure.

https://vimeo.com/75159530

Tim Dugan
09-29-2013, 06:48 PM
It was a crazy start to the race Fred! It sucked that that happened to u and Dave. I didn't see anybody tap u but I was also watching the tire smoke from Stephen and stein! I was driving the 57 bimmer

Fred Fox
09-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks Tim!

RSTPerformance
09-29-2013, 10:18 PM
I partially blame the pace car driver... The starts in Group 1 were terrible all weekend. The pace car was WAY to fast. I was mid pack and was starting in third gear pedal to the floor. None of the 15+ cars behind me could have possible been in any sort of close double file for the start.

Dave- as for how far behind Travis... I was catching him for the first half of the race as the quicker cars that were behind Travis after the FCY kept taking his line. I was giving it all she had and thought for a moment I was going to catch and pass him. Unfortunately the tires fell off towards the end. Also, I got boxed out a few times with Lap traffic. Generally I feel as though I do good in lap traffic but it just didn't work out for me in this one! Travis is good turning fast laps and timing the lap cars :). Congrats to him on a well earned victory! Personally I was very happy with the second place considering we built the car in a few days just prior to the event after I wrecked the blue one at NHMS. It was also the best the red car has ever felt, sorta like a new car!!! Why am I building an RX8???

Anyway, ITB was a great field once again with good races from the front right up through the back of the field... Still IMO the best "IT" class unless you have that desire to beat the magic 60sec. lap :)

Raymond "Yes, my mother is still the only "Blethen" under a minute around Lime Rock" Blethen