PDA

View Full Version : Miata feature race at 20th ARRC by GRM

nickatgt
08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
We are in the midst of planning for the 20th running of the American Road Race of Champions presented by Grassroots Motorsports and need your help.

This year we are planning for a feature race for Miatas prior to the Trans Am race on Sunday afternoon. The idea is to give the spectators and competitors a chance to see the Miatas one more time in the weekend and to give back a little, thanking you for your support this year. While the name is still up in the air, here is what we are thinking.

The "Luck of the Draw" Outlaw Miata
Feature Race

“Fun” race…a little different. No points just money. One race on Sunday as a feature race before the Trans-Am race.
$ 200 - 250 entry fee with $100-$150 going to payout.
Give each car one raffle ticket for turning a lap. Give top ten finishers extra tickets based on finishing position. Dead last place also gets extra ticket(s).
Drawing for prizes and cash. Cash split into three pots, 50%, 30% and 20%. Can only win one cash prize.
No qualifying warm-up only...will draw for grid position.
Must have raced in one other race or registered for one other race (ECR: must turn a wheel in ECR to collect prize) as a class compliant car.

Here is where I am asking for feedback. Again we want to make it fun and a little different. We want to fill the field and want some interesting racing.

Allow mods (weight, restrictor plates)?
All or 1.6 only?
Any mod has to be done between the Saturday race and the Sunday Outlaw race or put back before the ECR?
Anything else?
Allow any DOT tire, no Race tires?
Only requirement is that it must be safety compliant and have raced as a legally compliant car.
Half way through the race bring all cars in, encourage driver change (new driver gets additional ticket) and re-grid by drawing for position.

Anything else?

Other ideas?

Interesting?

Again I'd appreciate your thoughts, I will be putting together supps in the next week. If you have any thoughts of feedback post it here or drop me an email. I look forward to seeing you at the ARRC.

Tom Donnelly
08-24-2013, 10:32 AM
My first thought was, why not just call it the Miata ARRC at Road Atlanta and just not invite all those pesky IT, GT, and others for the whole weekend?

And why not halfway through the race, the drivers can switch cars too? Or switch direction!

Greg Amy
08-24-2013, 10:59 AM
I've always said that every event needs more Miata races...or more cowbell, I get those two confused.

- GA

Tom Donnelly
08-24-2013, 11:21 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma7ocppDkQ1qg3p3z.jpg

240zdave
08-24-2013, 03:26 PM
My first thought was, why not just call it the Miata ARRC at Road Atlanta and just not invite all those pesky IT, GT, and others for the whole weekend?

And why not halfway through the race, the drivers can switch cars too? Or switch direction!

I guess this is because they don't have enough classes to race in already? :shrug:

Wreckerboy
08-24-2013, 04:13 PM
There are roughly 985,721 first gen Miatas. There is a class for each one.

Tom Donnelly
08-25-2013, 09:55 AM
All kidding aside, is this the replacement for the Pro-It? If it is, then I am beginning to see what others are saying about the Atlanta region. If you don't have a Miata, you won't get decent track time at Road Atlanta.

Your comments about spectators getting another chance to see the Miatas was pretty much a cold slap in the face to all the other classes. Do you really think a one car class race is what people really want to see? You wanted feedback, well here it is. You posted on an IT based forum how there will be a "wonderful" new race for which we will not be included.

Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.

seckerich
08-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Just a couple thoughts from the cheap seats.

I remember Butch giving us all our own races for years even after numbers dropped to the point the region was losing money on us. We were told if we brought the cars we would still get our own group. We did not and the region has to make changes to remain profitable.

If you want your region to lose money, you have to be ready for the consequences. Bring the entries and you will get all the racing you can stand. Otherwise it is your BOD's job to cater to those that write a check. Like it or not this was always an IT centered race and way too many Atlanta IT drivers went to SM and the prep shops as well.

Talks among region leaders about a single 45 minute series for 2014 are well under way. Hang in there. :023:

Butch Kummer
08-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Nick should have explained the overall weekend schedule better:

Two of the seven run groups (not including Trans-Am) will be IT cars only (same run groups as the IT-Fest).

Each group gets two qualifying sessions on Friday - a 20-minute session in the morning and a 15-minute session in the afternoon.

The Pro-IT (or whatever it will be called going forward) is still on Friday afternoon - a 20-minute qualifier in the morning then a 45-minute race to close the day (presumably with a 2-minute mandatory pit stop if it's part of the new SEDiv program).

Warm-ups and then ARRC Championship races on Saturday.

Still have ECR qualifying Sunday morning and a three-hour ECR on Sunday afternoon.

Are you IT guys REALLY feeling like you're not getting enough track time?

What Nick is talking about here replaces what we used to advertise as a "bonus" race to help fill track-time on Sunday morning. Over the years we've tried big cars, SRFs, wings & things, and last year the first-ever B-Spec*Tacular (that was cancelled when only one car signed up). Another option is to shut the track down at 9:00 after ECR qualifying and run a couple more PDX sessions, but PDX is decidedly NOT spectator friendly (and yes, the ARRC by GRM DOES have spectators that show up for the weekend and for the Trans-Am race on Sunday).

Now that you know the whole story, get the knots out of your shorts and offer constructive suggestions...

TomL
08-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Steve -

Anything you can share about the new 45 minute series? I assume it's a continuation of this year's effort to combine some Pro-IT and CCPS races. Are we talking about something to consolidate Pro-IT, CCPS, Tarheel Cup, and maybe one or more of the Florida enduro series into a single division-wide series? Would it be based on the Pro-IT/CCPS model of a larger entry fee that partly goes into a prize fund? And would they be run in conjunction with SARRC, the new Divisional series, Majors or some combination of those? Same classes - IT, SM, maybe SRF - or something else?

I'd definitely be interested in a "touring" pro series, assuming it was compatible with my SARRC plans.

Tom Donnelly
08-25-2013, 08:21 PM
No knots in my shorts Butch, just worried IT has become the bastard step child in our region.

If you and Steve are saying just wait, that's good enough for me.

nickatgt
08-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Butch gave everyone the background that I should have stated, sorry. Basically we are not trying to change the character of the ARRC, there are plenty of opportunities for IT cars to run. I hope to get the formal schedule out to everyone in a week or so. But the schedule that he outlined is pretty close to the final product.

Our commodity in a race weekend is track time and I am trying to fill in any spare time with interesting events that might bring in a little more money to the region.

Thanks to everyone that made comments, we do read them and take them seriously. After reading the comments from the Mazda forum, it looks like we will have a nekked LeMans start and winners determined by a wet T-shirt contest at Tech. :smilie_pokal:

Seriously, I hope we didn't offend anyone too badly and I hope to see you at the ARRC.

Tom Donnelly
08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Nick,

Sometimes I just get up on the wrong side of the bed.

Keep up the good work, I know it's sometimes a thankless task and makes you an easy target.

My only real complaint about this past season was running IT with the SRF's. You just can't see them in my car. I guess I'll have to add mirrors pointing down. Any reason they can't run with the wings and things?

nickatgt
08-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Tom,

Seriously not a problem. One of the prerequisites for this is either a thick skin or thick head, I can't remember which.

Run groups is a topic all to itself. I know it seems like we close our eyes and throw darts to make run groups and at times I think that would be the easiest. Fact is that we don't have enough entries in any one class (except you know who) to create a single class run group.

At the ARRC because of the tradition of IT at the ARRC we are trying to make the IT run groups as "pure" (if that term can be used in the same sentence as "IT") as possible. There are some that would like to add some of the LeMons/Chump cars to the IT run groups but we are trying to hold to tradition.

We try to avoid closed wheel and open wheel cars in the same run group as well as try to keep cars with similar lap times together but as you know lap times only tell part of the story. There as many ways to put together run groups as there are car classes. The only thing I know in my short tenure in this job is however you set them up you are going to piss someone off.

All of this is to explain that I don't have a good answer for you today. Maybe when I get as much experience as Butch I will find the magic bullet that makes the perfect schedule and run groups.

seckerich
08-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Tom,

Seriously not a problem. One of the prerequisites for this is either a thick skin or thick head, I can't remember which.

I thinki we need both to survive!!

Greg Amy
08-26-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm quite interested to see how this year's ARRC works out. Given that next year's Runoffs are at Laguna Seca, it's unlikely that I can tow the car across the country (though I may rent like a Miata or something to run the STL race). So maybe we need to talk about a "gathering" of the old crowd back at the ARRC for 2014...

I miss that track, time to "go home".

Food for thought.

- GA

Knestis
08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Sorry - minor thread highjack. Is there a place to run our STU car at the ARRC...?

K

nickatgt
08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Absolutely! STU will be in run group 1. 2 qualifying sessions on Friday (20 minutes and 15 minutes) with a 20 lap or 40 minute race on Saturday.

Road Atlanta will also have a test day on Thursday October 31st

awegrzyn
08-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Nick, do you happen to have a schedule for the event? I'm thinking of towing from New Jersey.

nickatgt
08-27-2013, 07:34 AM
I will start a thread on the ARRC in a week or so however here is the rough schedule:

Thursday October 31
Road Atlanta Test Day

Friday November 1
AM - 20 Minute qualifying sessions
PM - 15 Minute qualifying sessions
- Pro-IT/CCPS Race

Saturday November 2
AM - 20 lap/40 minute Races groups 1-4
PM - 45 minute Trans Am Qualifying
- 20 lap/40 minute Races groups 5-7

Sunday November 3
AM - Warm-up for ECR & Feature Race
- Trans Am qualifying
- Quiet Time & PDX
PM - 15 lap Feature Race (SM) "Luck of the Draw"
- 100 mile Trans AM Race
- 2.5 hour ECR

SPiFF
08-27-2013, 06:54 PM
- 2.5 hour ECR

2.5 hour? :blink:

Chip42
08-27-2013, 07:04 PM
2.5 hour? :blink:

yup, longer ECR at the ARRC every year. I think it used to be 3 hours.. everyone who comes for the sprints goes home on sunday and misses it.

nickatgt
08-27-2013, 08:37 PM
What is the right answer? Originally we were looking at 3 hours but last year it was a pretty light turnout. One possible reason is that it is Sunday afternoon and everyone heads out early. Would a 90 minute event keep anyone around longer? 3 hour?

StephenB
08-27-2013, 11:17 PM
What is the right answer? Originally we were looking at 3 hours but last year it was a pretty light turnout. One possible reason is that it is Sunday afternoon and everyone heads out early. Would a 90 minute event keep anyone around longer? 3 hour?

I know this sounds strange but... use all the track time since the club paid for it. Then charge a certain amount for the 90min and another for the 3 hrs. throw a full course competition yellow at 90 min... the 90 minute people drop out then 2 laps later throw the green again and race another 90 minutes!

I bet some drop out early and get some money back, others decide to go till the end and then pay up. Also allows for a second driver if people wanted to.

Just a thought!
Stephen

Knestis
08-28-2013, 08:19 AM
As long as the ECR is at the end of the day Sunday, it's a hard one to fill - particularly as a "second" race. I would *really* like to take a shot at winning it outright this year in the TDI but it's really hard on traveling racers.

Just the difference between having it first thing on Sunday vs. last thing would probably keep more sprint entries there to run it.

K

EDIT - Better yet, while it sounds mercenary, put the sprint races that everyone REALLY comes to the ARRC for on Sunday. That will keep folks around.

Butch Kummer
08-29-2013, 02:46 PM
As long as the ECR is at the end of the day Sunday, it's a hard one to fill - particularly as a "second" race. I would *really* like to take a shot at winning it outright this year in the TDI but it's really hard on traveling racers.

Just the difference between having it first thing on Sunday vs. last thing would probably keep more sprint entries there to run it.

K

EDIT - Better yet, while it sounds mercenary, put the sprint races that everyone REALLY comes to the ARRC for on Sunday. That will keep folks around.

Great idea, K. Now just tell me/us which races every REALLY comes to the ARRC for! :rolleyes:

In years past I've talked to various groups about running on Sunday and everyone always recommends "the other guys". If we told the ITQ guys they get to race on Sunday, for instance, I'm betting we'd have half as many show up.

Knestis
08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
The sprint races SEEM to be the big draw - what makes the ARRC special.

But that said, it's really hard to know for sure what combination will work best. I'm kind of glad it's not my decision.

K

gran racing
08-30-2013, 08:01 AM
I like the idea of having the sprint races on Sat. Long tow home for some, having Sunday as a driving day back makes the event easier to attend.

So maybe we need to talk about a "gathering" of the old crowd back at the ARRC for 2014...

:D Yup, maybe. I've been wanting to get down there... Car is done for this year, but next year I hope to actually race.

itracer
08-30-2013, 08:58 AM
So maybe we need to talk about a "gathering" of the old crowd back at the ARRC for 2014...

Now that I have a car worthy of going down there, I want to go drive there. As long as the schedule is set early enough in advance, I would be interested.

I miss the runoffs style tech at the end of the event that made it a true championship. Impounding the top 6 and tearing down the top three on Saturday night let you know that you had what it took to win AND a legal car.

Simon T.
08-30-2013, 09:37 AM
2.5 hour or 3 hour just leave it on Sunday, I have a wedding to attend Saturday.