PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Runoffs

manny
08-23-2013, 05:39 AM
I hear the 2015 runoffs could be done at Daytona and being in the IT class what can one do or is required to be able to run in the runoffs? Just thinking ahead :rolleyes:

dickita15
08-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Depending on the car you can try to qualify in STL, STU or a prod class.

Chip42
08-23-2013, 09:06 AM
and the 2015 runoffs WILL be at Daytona. ink's dry on that one as I understand it. mid-O 2016, then maybe repeat the west-south-north/central cycle.

manny
08-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Right now its an ITB car but it's also on the EP list. Does that mean i need to run in the EP class during 2015 in order to qualify to be able to run in the runoffs?

Z3_GoCar
08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes, you have to run in the class you intend to qualify for. You won't have to do all that well, depending on where you live. This year everyone who raced STU, STL, EP, and FP out here qualified on points for the Runoffs. As there won't be any Nationals races next season, you can either be in the top three in your division, be in the top 50% in the Majors in your Region (The whole East coast), or be a former Runoffs champion. The paths to the Runoffs for us in 2014 are listed here:

http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/archives/2013/2014_Runoffs_Paths-1.pdf

I doubt they'll change by much for you guys in 2015.

Chip42
08-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Manny, isn't yours an A2 golf? FP would be a better fit and there are less entrants usually than STL or EP. so better odds.

manny
08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
It's an IT/B mustang and it's listed in EP i think. There are some changes but i was just thinking about being part of the runoffs especially since i live in Florida. I think it would great to be a part of it.

tom91ita
08-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Manny,

my ITB crx si qualified me for the runoffs this year.

the runoffs being the 50th and at Road America for the last time (for a while) was also the KITA i needed to get an old project car (88 crx si) upgraded from jackstands to an STL logbook and on track.

starting its swap to a B16 on labor day weekend.....

manny
08-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Tom, you bring up a good point. Do i need to start a another logbook for it to be in EP or is my present logbook ok?

Chip42
08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
present logbook is OK. if you mod the car extensively and want to reissue the logbook, take it up with tech and see what's involved.

mustang is definitely limited in options. STL has so much crossover from ITA, S, and SM that I'd choose prod like you originally suggested. are you Mike Horn?

as an aside - I don't know if they will be implementing the qualifying rules about being within some percentage of the pole, but if they do, ideas like this will be affected negatively. them might just do it for big fields, probably SRF, SM, STU and L.

manny
08-23-2013, 01:45 PM
No i'm not Mike Horn but i do know him, great guy to race with and also BS with :D

tom91ita
08-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Chip is likely the better authority on this.

IT is specifically allowed to run in STL so that made it easy. i had an uncaged parts car crx (well it was a "project" car as long as I was installing stuff on it and a "parts" car when pulling crap off it....) that was long intended for ITA (since buying it in ~'96) that i decided to go STL.

so now i have an STL car as well and hope to finish something better than DFL at the Runoffs.

hopefully at least one non Honda will break and not finish....

dickita15
08-23-2013, 06:03 PM
You may not have two logbooks for the same car but you can have two classes listed in the logbook. Just take the car and book to tech and tell them you want to race in two (or more ) classes and they will do an annual to make sure it is safety legal in both classes. This does not apply to IT running in STL or STU as an IT car is specifically allowed under ST rules.

924Guy
08-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Too bad they don't allow old IT cars...

dickita15
08-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Too bad they don't allow old IT cars...

That’s right I forgot about the 1985 cutoff date. My 79 is eligible because the spec line is 79-85. It may be the only carbureted car that can run in STL.

tom91ita
08-24-2013, 01:00 PM
You might want to check out the prod forums and see if anyone has converted your type car.

You may have to go with a fuel cell or add cage bars such as a dash bar etc.

manny
10-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Tom91ita could you give me hint or link to some type of prod forums, thanks.:023:

Simon T.
10-01-2013, 08:40 PM
I was dreaming about this yesterday actually, Daytona is closer than Road America, Mid Ohio, or Laguna and it seems you can run an ITA (IT7) prepped RX-7 in STL. You'd get raped, but...:p :eclipsee_steering:

team-gpracing
10-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Tom91ita could you give me hint or link to some type of prod forums, thanks.:023:

http://prodracing.com/

You'll definitely need to do some mods that IT cars don't require: fuel cell, window clips, etc.

Dano77
10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
What year Mustang is it? They are listed on the same Spec line form 79-93 all with a 2.3

So 79 chassis with a 93 2.3 and EFI, Solid axle and brakes form 14 different years. There has to be some differences that could be exploited on this chassis. HMMMMMMM

matt batson
10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
hey manny, good to see you still in it.

this is matt from way back in 04 and 05 when I raced with ya in my black Suzuki swift in ITB

you met me and my wife, and we met you and your family (two kids, right?)

We know you were moving back to florida...well we moved back to florida too (Deltona/Daytona area) and then had a kid. And then I got out of racing (2008).

Well he is four now, and I'm preparing to get back in and spend some of his college money.

anyways, I also saw that the runoffs were coming to Daytona, and have also been thinking of ways I could double dip...as running the runoffs is on my bucket list.

manny
10-09-2013, 06:56 AM
team-gpracing i havent been able to find where it says that a fuel cell is mandatory. i do agree with the clips and yes i can be at a lower weight too but all i want to do is to be able to get in.
Mat, great to hear from you. of course i remember you guys. congrats on your son :023:. yes i have moved back to tampa and yes still running the old mustang in ITB. you just cant kill an old dog lol. i just was thinking that it would great to be able to do the runoffs especially that it's at Daytona.

Chip42
10-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Manny, prod rules state that a fuel cell is required UNLESS the stock tank is contained within the frame rails and axle centerlines. I don't think the mustang fits that requirement, thus it would be required to have a cell.

Flyinglizard
10-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Some cars need a fuel cell and some dont. If the tank is in front of the rear axle and you have the stock rear bumper, you dont need the fuel cell. Many VWs do not.
Pretty sure that the Mustang needs a fuel cell. To run Prod.

Prod is fun , you get a whole bunch of cars that run way different power to tire and weight ratios.

Mike is going to try to run his Rocco at the Daytona Runoffs. That track has a top speed priority and thus we are going to radial tires for that track.

ITA_honda
10-09-2013, 10:35 AM
My 1990 Honda Civic Si would be classed in FP.

Baaahahaha not even competitive in ITA trim.. would need to sink the big $$ in to it.

This is why Im now racing in T4 :D

matt batson
10-09-2013, 11:17 AM
team-gpracing i havent been able to find where it says that a fuel cell is mandatory. i do agree with the clips and yes i can be at a lower weight too but all i want to do is to be able to get in.
Mat, great to hear from you. of course i remember you guys. congrats on your son :023:. yes i have moved back to tampa and yes still running the old mustang in ITB. you just cant kill an old dog lol. i just was thinking that it would great to be able to do the runoffs especially that it's at Daytona.

you can do eet!
you have till 2015 to save up for a fuel cell :D

you only live once....

Chip42
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Baaahahaha not even competitive in ITA trim.. would need to sink the big $$ in to it.

our FP EF civic hatch did 18's at Roebling - that's right in there with the miatas. straight line speed was an issue though. drag sucketh.

manny
10-09-2013, 01:49 PM
So let me see if i have this right. The runoffs are held in Sept, and it is in 2015. So that means i have to race in EP at the start of 2015, finish in the top 50% of my division at the least and be EP compliant by the turkey trot of 2014 due to the fact that here in Fla that is the first race of the 2015 schedule.

Greg Amy
10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
First race of the 2014 Majors season is Sebring in January, with Palm Beach right behind that.

Of course, we're nowhere NEAR able to predict what 2015's racing schedule will be.

Dano77
10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
And not to mention the car IS STx compliant as it sits.

Unless I read that wrong. If the model run starts before the 85 cut off, then previous models are included. 79 to 93 are all the same car according to the ITCS

tom91ita
10-10-2013, 10:05 AM

You could also go STL with you ITA car. i used my ITB crx to qualify for the runoffs while doing a motor swap B16 into an abandoned ITA crx project.

R2 Racing
10-14-2013, 08:38 AM
You could also go STL with you ITA car. i used my ITB crx to qualify for the runoffs while doing a motor swap B16 into an abandoned ITA crx project.
He's quite quick, and doing just fine in T4. :023: Unfortunately, he rarely has anyone to seriously race with in that class, as it's about as populated with competitive cars as.....well, STL.

And the problem with the EF Civic H/B in FP...and ITA, ITB, STL, and anywhere else, is that it'll never be as competitive as its CRX cousin, yet no classification process that I'm aware of uses wheelbase and drag differences as enough of a factor, to put the EF H/B and CRX at different classified specs, even though we all know that when set the same, the CRX will always be faster (in the right hands).

JS154
10-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Manny,

my ITB crx si qualified me for the runoffs this year.

the runoffs being the 50th and at Road America for the last time (for a while) was also the KITA i needed to get an old project car (88 crx si) upgraded from jackstands to an STL logbook and on track.

starting its swap to a B16 on labor day weekend.....

This is a combination for STL I have been waiting for someone to open their eyes to.

Greg Amy
10-15-2013, 08:22 PM
This is a combination for STL I have been waiting for someone to open their eyes to.
Oh, that's a common discussion topic; we were talking about that the first time STL was announced. But the general problem is that there are few that wish to take a very competitive ITA and turn it into a potential also-ran STL car... - GA

mossaidis
10-15-2013, 10:12 PM
yup. Also just as mysterious is if a properly built B16 will make over 170whp. Some have estimated 175 whp, yet no one has said and posted (dynos) so publicly.