PDA

View Full Version : RAL Weekend

Raceman77
08-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Well great weekend. Hats off to all the ones that ran the weekend.
Wow what a race in group 4. Congrats to the guest drive Mr. Patten. It was great to be part of a four car battle for the win.

JLawton
08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Details? Results?

Raceman77
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM
The starting order Ray,Dave Patten,JB,Mike,Mike T, Dan. Dan by turn 1 in first. Maylay erupted in down hill I think everyone made it through. Dan,dave,jb,ray took off. Dan dave side by side from turn 3 to front straight for about 4 laps. I had the best seat in the house. Had 1 Miata decide to stay with us 4. we all battled. second to last lap dan got 2 wheels off in 6. I decided to follow. Patten got by dan. ray got by me. last lap ray got by dan. I got by dan in 3. all I can tell you is probably the race of the weekend for all classes. results for IT7 Patten,Ray,JB,Dan,Mike,Mike T. Hope all the workers enjoyed.

Dano77
08-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I have the video downloaded into the computer. The rear faceing is way better as that shows all the good stuff. As soon as I can figure out how to shrink it and get it on here, you know the rest.

I tired of getting beat by my own car.

Dan

RSTPerformance
08-12-2013, 07:56 PM
I have the video downloaded into the computer. The rear faceing is way better as that shows all the good stuff. As soon as I can figure out how to shrink it and get it on here, you know the rest.

I tired of getting beat by my own car.

Dan

We would like to see the front view on the last couple laps so we can see the winners cross the finish :smilie_pokal:

jimalley
08-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Well we have heard from the Turtle Division :DHow about the rest of IT?

Dano77
08-13-2013, 08:58 AM
We would like to see the front view on the last couple laps so we can see the winners cross the finish :smilie_pokal:

Yup I need to figure out how to splice it together. When that happensI will show the exact second I figured out that is too deep in the brake zone.

Hey Jim, Big talk for a sell out.

Saw your former car early, backwards in 9. New owner did a great heads up move by STANDING on the brakes and sitting still. That allowed all of us to get thru and not wreck a couple other cars. Not bad for someone who hangs with the LTD boys.

itracer
08-13-2013, 09:26 AM
ITB results:
Sat PM:
Nat Wentwoth
Jason Benagh
Tom Kelly

Sun AM
Nat Wentworth
Tom Kelly
Zack Kelly

Sun PM
Nat Wentworth
Tom Kelly
Zack Kelly

Dave Patten
08-13-2013, 11:09 AM
If I wasn't wearing a full face helmet all you would see in Dan's rear facing camera is a big ass grin!

Its been awhile since I've driven an IT car and this weekend was one of my most enjoyable ones racing in a long time. (and putting the pass on my car owner for first didn't dampen it any!)

Now if I could only figure out why my computer doesn't want to open my gopro's MP4 files. I'm sure it has great shots of Dan's #77 trying to keep me behind it.

Thank you Dan for the ride and all the IT7 group for the great weekend!

jwasilko
08-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Saw your former car early, backwards in 9. New owner did a great heads up move by STANDING on the brakes and sitting still. That allowed all of us to get thru and not wreck a couple other cars. Not bad for someone who hangs with the LTD boys.

That was me. Big tip of my hat to everyone for not hitting me. It took a lot for me to just stay put, but I knew I had to sit. The guy in the red X1/9 almost hit, but got stopped in time.

The car was new to me, and I was struggling with a tendency to spin to the left under braking. I could usually catch it but with the cold tires of lap 1, I didn't.

Finally had time to get the car aligned yesterday (a couple of days too late) and took out the toe that was in the rear. Hopefully that makes it a bit more controllable.

-jeff

jwasilko
08-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Also, wanted to say that the driving in group 4 was great. People seemed really heads up, with folks pointing by out-of-class racers.

It really confirmed for me why I wanted to run IT not SM.

Dano77
08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Front and rear video from RAL at NHMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by_mJSoknNA Rear camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJU_TNRPgs front Camera

Enjoy, comments.

ner88
08-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Interesting start! :shrug:

StephenB
08-13-2013, 10:10 PM

Ummm ya, That was terrible! How did you not get a DQ for that? Did anyone talk to you after the race??

Stephen

Greg Amy
08-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah. I watched that start from pit wall and was amazed you didn't get a black flag stop-and-go for it. - GA

Ed Funk
08-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah, me too! When I wrecked the A car in the oval 3 years ago it was after a from the back start, Steph hadn't qualified due to work, and I started at the back due to a problem in the qual race the day before. Unfortunately we gridded behind a guy who refused to keep up with the pack. We started racing from NASCAR 3, cause that's when we could see the flag. At the end of the first lap, I got a furled black, and was so confused about what I had done, that I forgot to lift in time for 1. I know I'm supposed to ignore the furled black, but in 25 years of racing that was my 2nd, and I knew what I did the first time, hence no confusion.

Really surprised you didn't get at least a furled, because that really looked like a planned jump.

Dano77
08-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Not gonna defend or explain it away. It is what it is.

If the starter wasent happy with the way the field was forming up they didnt need to throw the green, Thats thier job.

Every one of us has at some point thought about how to get to the front as quick as possable, I acted on that thought. Got to the front of MY race and didnt impede any other cars on the way.

I did have contact with another class car towards the end of the race. He choose to be in the middle of our race and touched my rear bumper in a brake zone. OOOPS no harm no foul. It happens. Overall thought it was a good clean battle for 16 laps with the better car winning the race.

Dan, The New Most Dangerous Driver In IT

Andy Bettencourt
08-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Strategery.

ner88
08-14-2013, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cE45JL1zmA&feature=youtu.be

I'm in the white Miata.....:shrug:

Raceman77
08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
and why did you jump into the pits??

ner88
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
and why did you jump into the pits??
was that in the video? :D

Raceman77
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
well I was right behind you. and you dove off pretty quickly. in any case. the video shows 5 cars racing hard for 16 laps. no one touched anyone. and I am pretty sure I heard that the 88 even had a ball with us.

jevrolet
08-14-2013, 03:42 PM
He choose to be in the middle of our race and touched my rear bumper in a brake zone. OOOPS no harm no foul.
Dan, The New Most Dangerous Driver In IT

So.. yeah.. First off I didn't have a choice to be "in the middle of your race". You guys were running side by side the entire time. I had no chance to get by you. If I went high to get one car, the other car was already there. You have motor on me, so going up the hills and down the straight you had me beat. Everywhere else you were next to each other.
Also, I touched your bumper because under braking into turn 3, you changed lanes and moved in front of me. I had nowhere else to go.

no one touched anyone. and I am pretty sure I heard that the 88 even had a ball with us.

This is not true, the two RX-7s in front of me touched going down into three. There was tire smoke.

And, it was not a ball. It was frustrating. I would have loved to have gotten past and left you 4 or 5 to battle it out for the IT7 championship of the world, but you wouldn't let me by so I could go race the rest of the ITA guys... Nor did I expect you to.

Not mad about it. It was a learning experience. I went back and watched my video and I now know your weakness.

Dano77
08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
So.. yeah.. First off I didn't have a choice to be "in the middle of your race". .

This is not true, the two RX-7s in front of me touched going down into three. There was tire smoke.

First post huh, welcome to the site.

So in 16 laps of racing on a 12 turn course, call it 192 turns. There was tire smoke 1 time going into a breaking zone.

And again No Issues when you touched me into the same brake zone

So 2 touches in 192 turns.. That pretty good if you ask me. What about the SM/SSM/SM2 or any other group that had a heated battle for 16 straight laps that was decided on the last lap.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand what the issues are that people have with the IT7 race. I didnt see any one of the 7's go off track, smash another out of class car out of the race, beat on each other to the point that rescue squads needed to be called, or basically cause the general mayhem that is being said.

If thats not the general consensus, dont DD into the ITA race with your SM. There are plenty of other classes it fits in in NER. We dont want to wreck your 30,000 dollar car with our 1500 dollar specials.

On second thought I went off track at the exit of 6 on lap 15 by myself and caused no one any harm so I may be the Most Dangerous Driver In IT.

Dan 77 IT7 The Purple car with a Green Checker on the hood. Just so you know who your talking about.

Ed Funk
08-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Dan, The New Most Dangerous Driver In IT[/QUOTE]

Are not!

Dano77
08-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Wanna race for the Title Ed??

jevrolet
08-14-2013, 05:01 PM
First post huh, welcome to the site.

So in 16 laps of racing on a 12 turn course, call it 192 turns. There was tire smoke 1 time going into a breaking zone.

And again No Issues when you touched me into the same brake zone

So 2 touches in 192 turns.. That pretty good if you ask me. What about the SM/SSM/SM2 or any other group that had a heated battle for 16 straight laps that was decided on the last lap.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand what the issues are that people have with the IT7 race. I didnt see any one of the 7's go off track, smash another out of class car out of the race, beat on each other to the point that rescue squads needed to be called, or basically cause the general mayhem that is being said.

If thats not the general consensus, dont DD into the ITA race with your SM. There are plenty of other classes it fits in in NER. We dont want to wreck your 30,000 dollar car with our 1500 dollar specials.

On second thought I went off track at the exit of 6 on lap 15 by myself and caused no one any harm so I may be the Most Dangerous Driver In IT.

Dan 77 IT7 The Purple car with a Green Checker on the hood. Just so you know who your talking about.

Dan,
I didn't say I had an issue with your driving. I was actually impressed with the pass you made on me in turn 2 on lap 1. I even gave you kudos when I posted the video.

I replied simply because there were some inaccuracies in some of the earlier posts & I wanted to correct them.

I thought you guys did have an amazing race. It was fun to watch but frustrating to try & get by.

ner88
08-14-2013, 05:32 PM
lets see...run groups for 2014.....IT7 & SRF....:D

Ed Funk
08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Wanna race for the Title Ed??

Sure, wheel chairs with our wives pushing, start at the crows nest.

Ed Funk
08-14-2013, 05:54 PM

How 'bout Groups 1-6, Miatae. Group 7, Anything else open wheel. Group 8, anything else closed wheel.

Dano77
08-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Dan,
I didn't say I had an issue with your driving. I was actually impressed with the pass you made on me in turn 2 on lap 1. I even gave you kudos when I posted the video.

I replied simply because there were some inaccuracies in some of the earlier posts & I wanted to correct them.

I thought you guys did have an amazing race. It was fun to watch but frustrating to try & get by.

I understand the frustration with multi class racing. And Im sorry we didnt let you go, if we did our own races are ruined.

When I said you had a choice, Drive faster, slow down, get off the track. Thats what I meant. Again not being a jerk, just multi class racing.

Where did you post it, kinda want to see it. Thanks

Dan

Raceman77
08-14-2013, 07:49 PM
so why would we move in with SRF? Is there a problem with IT7 in this run group? maybe move EP,FP.

Matt Rowe
08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Overall I thought the racing in group 4 was very clean especially given how close some of the battles were. I also have to give Brian a thumbs up for making some very good decisions on two different starts and saving himself and several others from having a bad day. While one of the challenges with multi-class racing is the risk of getting caught up in someone else's battle my observations were people were generally being considerate. I hope no one is seriously suggesting changing the groups, I think it's a great group of racers already.

The only thing I'll say about the start is just because they didn't wave the start or throw a black flag doesn't mean it's okay. Maybe the starter missed the move or maybe the officials had enough on their hands but from the video that looked like a heck of an advantage. Keep in mind that adding a car with a 10-15 mph head start into the back of a closely grouped field is a recipe for disaster. Starts are risky enough but most drivers aren't expecting someone charging through the pack with that kind of closing speed just as the green comes out and everyone jumps left or right. My point is even if you think the advantage is borderline legal it's still a risky move.

StephF
08-14-2013, 09:18 PM
So Dan.....what does your mom have to say about your video?
Which would win out, the mother in her or the steward?
:rolleyes:

jwasilko
08-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Here's my video from Sunday morning group 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCUuCMnevLg

team-gpracing
08-15-2013, 09:59 AM
maybe move EP,FP.

Hell no! I like you guys!

I hope no one is seriously suggesting changing the groups, I think it's a great group of racers already.

Yes, I believe Jerry was cracking wise.

Sure, wheel chairs with our wives pushing, start at the crows nest.

I would pay real cash money to see this. Pretty sure Steph might make you switch half way through though.

Serge
08-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Why are you insulting the SRF folks?

Ed Funk
08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I would pay real cash money to see this. Pretty sure Steph might make you switch half way through though.[/QUOTE]

Dunno, Steph's really not into that whole swapping scene.

Dano77
08-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Niether is Jaime.

Maybe if we ride the wheel chairs down form 5 into 6 with our own Mad Max type equpiment on the wheel chair, Now we are talking.

lawtonglenn
08-15-2013, 09:57 PM
...and I now know your weakness.