PDA

View Full Version : Barber Double SARRC

tbtapper
07-18-2013, 09:41 AM
I have raced Barber twice. Pretty sure it was back when other "management" was operating the facility. Enjoyed the track as a change of pace from my usual VIR, RA, CMP and RR.

The one thing that sticks in my mind is (was) the "personality" of the track. I recall being pretty stressed over possibly dropping a wheel off the track somewhere or maybe spilling a little coolant out the over flow tank or my jack stands leaving a mark on the asphalt. I also recall someone comming round and demanding $75 or $85 for use of electricity for the weekend. (This would be a 24" enclosed with a 900w microwave, 2 24" flourescents and a tiny compressor)

My point is that I would like to participate in the upcomming event but I don't want to spend what is to me a large sum of $$$ and time to be made to feel unwelcome and heaven help if I am involved in a "racing event" end up with huge bill for damages.

I would be interested in other persons opinions of how Barber is currently operated and what sort "attitude" I can expect to encounter. Also, what's the current deal with electricity?? I recall that VIR started doing something similar but it was like $25 or something.

Thanks

tbtapper
ITA 46

chuck baader
07-18-2013, 10:09 AM
They have become much more user friendly. As long as you notify them if you spill gas/oil, etc. they will come and treat it and it goes away. Jack stands do need wood under them or, like I do, I weld a flat piece of 10ga steel to the bottom and forget about it.

Track damage...SCCA, I believe, covers guardrail and excessive grass damage...so, it is basically like any other track at this point. See you there.

pballance
07-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Come have fun at Barber.

Alabama Region (Birmingham) and TVR Region(Huntsville, Al) are hosting the event this year. We are trying to make it as driver friendly as it can be. New for this year is sign the waiver at the gate and register at the tower.

In addition to being a double SARRC race, it is a 2 day time trial and you can enter one or both days time trial. If one of your crew/family wants to drive the track in the TT, we can probably make that happen. :)

Camping is permitted in the paddock, but they do have a charge for the power. We don't control the amount charged, it is set by Barber. I think it was $50 last year for the two days.

Incidental damage caused by racing incidents are covered by SCCA insurance. In addition, Barber has realized that there is a certain amount of wear and tear that will occur that does not require high $$$ repairs to the earth. :happy204:

Come play with us, I think you will have a good time.....

chuck baader
07-18-2013, 03:55 PM
They do change for camping and electricity is 25/day, however, you can split a pole, etc. There are 50a, 30a, and a couple of 15a plugs on each pole.

autoxmike
07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Linky to event info & registration?

Feeling lazy today

chuck baader
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/97D3F55C-CAB0-10C8-28C456E10B61678C#.UehSezucH9w

tbtapper
07-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks all for the responses. All that sounds much improved and more "reasonable" as in similar to other race venues.

Assuming my car performs ok at Charlotte I will be at Barber.

tbtapper
ITA 46

JeffYoung
07-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Will there be a split start with teh SRFs in the IT group?

Combining SRFs and IT cars or SMs is a recipe for disaster guys.....

chuck baader
07-21-2013, 12:03 PM
From the Alabama region web site:

"Split start is on the agenda if we get enough entries in the group to warrant it.

Those poor SRF drivers have to run with someone. They do not want to run with us Formula guys."
1998 AMAC DSR #36

JeffYoung
07-21-2013, 12:38 PM
They are basically a formula car with fenders, they make their time like formula cars, and the most dangerous racing I've ever done has been mixed IT/SRF groups.

If there is not a split start, I probably won't chance it.

The earlier the decision can be made the better.

Thanks guys.

TomL
07-21-2013, 01:11 PM
They did a split start last year, but it would have much been better if they hadn't. There was one ITX Porsche that was a bunch faster than anything out there, so the IT group started first. However, the SRFs were some thing like 9 of the next ten fastest cars. Almost the entire SRF field ended up passing most of the IT group - I spent about as much time looking in the rear view mirror as looking out the windshield.

If the SRF group had started first, everything would have been great.The problem is that the GCR says the group with the fastest car must start first. In a case like last year, with one fast car in an otherwise slower group, you make the entire faster group pass people that they would have never seen absent the split start. Usually, a split start (and a small gap) would minimize the SRF/IT interaction. But if the same situation repeats this year, it would be better to NOT have a split start.

I think the GCR should be changed to allow the race officials to choose which group to start first. Fastest first is usually correct, but when a situation like last year's comes up, some times the "slower" group should be out front.

JeffYoung
07-21-2013, 02:31 PM
I'd be perfectly fne with that.

I hate ultimatums and really appreciate the effort put into this race, but I'm already trying to choose between this event and Summit for a Labor Day race. I like Barber a lot and the region are great people but the shorter tow plus the run group setup means I'll probably do Summit.

NCR used to try to do this and a large group of IT drivers finally got it changed. SRFs and IT cars, particularly S/A/R cars just don't mix well.

They did a split start last year, but it would have much been better if they hadn't. There was one ITX Porsche that was a bunch faster than anything out there, so the IT group started first. However, the SRFs were some thing like 9 of the next ten fastest cars. Almost the entire SRF field ended up passing most of the IT group - I spent about as much time looking in the rear view mirror as looking out the windshield.

If the SRF group had started first, everything would have been great.The problem is that the GCR says the group with the fastest car must start first. In a case like last year, with one fast car in an otherwise slower group, you make the entire faster group pass people that they would have never seen absent the split start. Usually, a split start (and a small gap) would minimize the SRF/IT interaction. But if the same situation repeats this year, it would be better to NOT have a split start.

I think the GCR should be changed to allow the race officials to choose which group to start first. Fastest first is usually correct, but when a situation like last year's comes up, some times the "slower" group should be out front.

chuck baader
07-21-2013, 03:22 PM
A better fit would be with the sport racer/open wheel guys.

The problem with the IT group is, First...we don't ever run with them, and second..we can't see them worth a damn:026::dead_horse::026:

JeffYoung
07-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Agree completely.

Tom Donnelly
07-22-2013, 09:07 PM
I agree too. You can't see them, they appear out of nowhere.

It was one of the reasons I switched from the ProIt last event.
Besides Zsolt's convincing arguments!

RX555
07-22-2013, 09:41 PM
I did this race last year too, and agree with comments above about running with SRF. Other thing to add is when they catch you, it's not one car but a train of 4-5 or more. I had one bump me, but no damage.
I do love running at that track, but am considering the Mid Ohio race the same weekend as I haven't run there yet. Other thing swaying me toward MO is that the track time at Barber is less than the last two years since they have the Time Trials and no Pro IT Race. We'll see, though.

pballance
08-16-2013, 12:07 PM
FYI. Email that was sent to workers and racers. Right now ITS is slim with only 2 of us. ITA at 8

First of all: Thank you to the workers who have registered for this event. Without you , we cannot hold the event. Also to the entrants - we are doing this event for you so thank you for entering.

We have worked out an agreement with Barber to get us in the track earlier on Friday. Registration and Tech will open up at 1400. Entrants/workers will have access to the track at 1330. You will have to sign the track waiver at the gate, proceed to park your rig in the paddock area, and then go to Registration in the race tower building. Register, get your tech card and proceed to tech.

If you arrive before 1330, Barber staff will hold you in Lot G until 1330.

As usual, Barber is collecting for the right to use their electrical power and camping on site. Power and camping is $25 each per day. Barber will be at Registration to collect but can only take cash or check. If you have to use a credit card, they will have to go back outside the gate to the Credentials building. Lets not do that.

Power is limited so if you do not need power, our Paddock Host will prevent you from parking in an area where the power is available. This is so those that actually need power can park there.

Race gas is available in the paddock. Credit card is the only method of payment. They will have 93 and 98 unleaded and 112 leaded. 110 leaded has been discontinued.

Appalachian Tire (Hoosier) and Competition Tire South (Goodyear) will be onsite so if you need races tires contact them. Trackside Tim will be on site to provide those parts and accessories that everyone seems to need on a race weekend.

Many of the road racers have signed up for the Time Trials to use that track time as practice and to get to learn Barber. That is what we intended to provide you but I have learned that many of you do not know what TT is. We are running 3 TT groups (large bore fendered, small bore fendered and formula/sportsracers/SRF). On Saturday, each TT group will run once before SARRC Qual and twice between Qual and SARRC race. On Sunday, TT runs once before Qual and once before SARRC race and once after. The only difference between TT and a normal Practice day is that TT passing rules are in effect (passing on the straights with a point-by). Plus, the TT sessions are timed unlike a practice day.

We are hurting for F&C workers at the moment (as in not enough to run the event). We have a surplus of workers in some other areas (like Pit/Grid and T&S). If any of you can volunteer to move over to F&C, we would appreciate it. Prior F&C experience is not necessary. Workers, please help us out here!

Any questions or otherwise, please email me [email protected]

Craig Farr
TVR Race Chair

pballance
08-20-2013, 01:55 PM
TTT, SARRC entries up to 108, TT entries up to 64

Looks like it iwll be a fun weekend if we can just get a few more ITS and ITA cars to come play.

Paul

Knestis
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Note that this is a round of the IT National Tour, too!

www.itnationaltour.com

K

chuck baader
08-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Had to cancel my registration...sold car.

seckerich
08-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Had to cancel my registration...sold car.

Bought a Miata??? :D

chuck baader
08-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Bought/built nothing yet. If I were going to stay in ITA it would be a Miata:dead_horse: Looking to go to ITS, so looking, looking, etc.