PDA

View Full Version : 7/12 LRP PDX - Instructors Needed

gran racing
07-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Okay, so it's actually called PDX but whatever. SCCA is running a PDX event in conjunction with the Fri / Sat regional races. The region has novices who want to attend but the region is turning them away due to not having enough instructors. IMO, that really sucks. SCCA really, really needs to grow a PDX / HPDE program in order for our club to grow. Many of us have complained that there's no real path into w2w road racing, and people need to join NASA or do go with other orgs to get started and we somehow expect them to come running back to SCCA.

Even if you don't have a lot of experience, remember back to how crazy things were as a novice and you really just wanted to keep the car on track, be able to drive the car home, and have fun.

If you can, please register for the event even if you can't race that weekend via the motorsports.reg site. If you are racing, sure seems like a no brainer (although they do currently require that instructors have an incar communicator.

IMO, they should eliminate this requirement for this event to get novices in AND given the horrible car counts, the region sure could use the money. If you're already going to be there racing and either own or can borrow an in-car communicator, it's a no brainier. Even if it's "all about me" type of deal, a free test day on the day of qualifying? Nice!

lateapex911
07-05-2013, 09:56 PM
I'd consider as I think I'll be there, but I have no communicator. So I'm out.
MoHud should think this thru. Lots of guys do this in street cars, and they aren't always super loud. I was Chris Raffelis instructor years ago and we were fine in his M3.

lawtonglenn
07-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Jake

I have a Nady Communicator from a few years ago instructing with ACNA, BMWCCA, and PCA

PM me your address before 10am Sat and I will have it in the Priority Mail to
you and you will have it Tue (latest Wed)... I will eat the $5 Priority Mail fee and
you can hand it back next time we're racing together, no rush

If you don't want it, the offer is open to anyone else that needs a communicator for next weekend

erlrich
07-06-2013, 06:59 AM
I'd consider as I think I'll be there, but I have no communicator. So I'm out.
MoHud should think this thru. Lots of guys do this in street cars, and they aren't always super loud. I was Chris Raffelis instructor years ago and we were fine in his M3.
Agree - in a street car there shouldn't be a problem. I was instructing a guy in a very nice sounding street Mustang - with a nice aftermarket exhaust - at our last PDX on Shenandoah Circuit, and had zero trouble communicating. Doesn't LRP have a really low sound limit too? It's not like you're going to be jumping into a friggin' IT7 or something ;)

Greg Amy
07-06-2013, 08:03 AM
I just heard this weekend that instructors are needed; someone noted that novices are wait-listed, waiting for instructors. Thought about doing it until someone pointed out the communicator requirement...and I've already loaned mine to Jeff Lawton.

Might be time to contact the Audi/BMW clubs and see if any of them are interested in instructing. Those guys are usually equipped for these type of events.

- GA

JLawton
07-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Dave,
Post this on FaceBook............

gran racing
07-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I spoke via e-mail with D.J. whose organizing this and sounds like things are good in terms of having enough (or at least very close to) instructors.

Glen, did Jake take you up on the communicator yet? Know someone else who could use it but we're getting close time wise. Are you going to LRP?

lawtonglenn
07-08-2013, 08:03 AM
I didn't hear from Jake, but can put the communicator in the Priority Mail to
you today ... likely delivery Wed ... I can't make it this weekend to LRP, too much
time off work ... PM me your address, ok?

gran racing
07-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Gulick's mail route is screwy and he doesn't receive half the stuff sent to him anyway. I'll PM you my address and either he or Cy Peake (and SM driver) will use it to help out. Thanks Glenn.

pfcs
07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Hel! When I instructed with EMRA, I used four feet of 1/2" clear plastic hose with one end stuck into the side of the student's helmet. It was kinda 1 1/2 way communication-he could hear clearly but needed to REALLY shout for me to get it.
But it was infinitely better than nothing!

EDIT: if you want hi-tech, you could use two hoses!

lawtonglenn
07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Dave: PM sent and communicator shipped!