PDA

View Full Version : Glen July Sprints July 19-21

Dano77
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Im in the process of registering and reading the supps. Is this a Double NARRC race as advertised on the NARRC site. Reads like only one 12 lap sprint on sunday. Is the 7 lap race saturday a points race? Changes you rstrategy going into it if its for points, NOT Qualifing like it reads.

http://www.glen-scca.org/RoadRacing/2013/JulySupps.pdf

Maybe Im reading it wrong.

Dan, 77 IT7

Terry Hanushek
06-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Dan

Is the 7 lap race saturday a points race? Changes you rstrategy going into it if its for points, NOT Qualifing like it reads.

There are probably others that can speak more authoritatively on NARRC points but I believe that NARRC (and MARRS and NJRRS) give points for all races on a weekend. Each series is different in the amount of points awarded for qualifying races (half, full). For the July Sprints and Summer Thunder at NJMP in August, the Saturday race will serve as qualifying for the Sunday race.

So, being a qualifying race and getting series points are not mutually exclusive.

HTH

Terry

Abhi
06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Dan

There are probably others that can speak more authoritatively on NARRC points but I believe that NARRC (and MARRS and NJRRS) give points for all races on a weekend. Each series is different in the amount of points awarded for qualifying races (half, full). For the July Sprints and Summer Thunder at NJMP in August, the Saturday race will serve as qualifying for the Sunday race.

So, being a qualifying race and getting series points are not mutually exclusive.

HTH

Terry

Not sure about that. At NHMS, we had 3 races, but on the NARRC website, I only see points awarded for two of them.

Abhi

dickita15
06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Narrc gives points for both Glen races. The region only gives trophies on Sunday

mossaidis
06-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Not sure about that. At NHMS, we had 3 races, but on the NARRC website, I only see points awarded for two of them.

Abhi

That 'cause the 2nd race (sun am) was a NERRC race and a qualifying NARRC race, but not a NARRC race.

lawtonglenn
06-14-2013, 10:43 PM
2013 NARRC Series
13 Rounds on 7 weekends

Rounds 1 & 2 - May 11-12 - Pocono - NNJ & Tri - Double
Rounds 3 & 4 - May 25-26 - NHMS - NER - Double
Rounds 5 & 6 - June 21-22 - LRP - NER - Double
Rounds 7 & 8 - July 12-13 - LRP - MoHud - Double
Rounds 9 &10 - July 20-21 - WGI - Glen - Double
Rounds 11 & 12 - August 17-18 - NJMP Thunderbolt - JRB - Double
Round 13 - September 20-21 - LRP - NYR - Double Points

StephenB
07-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Where is everyone :( I hope that we get more people to show up!!!

Stephen

StephF
07-11-2013, 05:52 PM
You will. I know we haven't registered yet, and I bet that's the case for a few folks. We are going, as long as the equipment is up for it. I think the mandatory pay online makes people wait until the last minute.

tdw6974
07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Better bring the cool suit!!:D

StephF
07-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Supposed to be cooler there than here. Temps in the low 80's I heard?

mossaidis
07-16-2013, 06:09 PM
20 SMs, 20 SRFs and 18 ITA cars registered so far! Yeah!

Kai Noeske
07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Had registered but had to cancel - caught a bug on the plane :( .

Have a great weekend all!

vicktorvolpe
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Because Steph was asking what happened in the spec pinata race....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz7K-8b8RhA

:shrug:

I'm fine. my car only needs some suspension work I hope. Blue car is totalled. Driver was ok yesterday afternoon, though his bell got rung good. I need to check on him today.

Took 7ish guys, two jacks, and a winch to get his car into the trailer. Smarty and Weaver were big helps, thanks guys.

-Vick (Some random SM driver).

Ed Funk
07-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Car on the right. Middle guy innocent.

Dano77
07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Car on right was form up this way, Not like he hasent ever hit anyone. Might be why he has a spare car.

joeg
07-22-2013, 09:54 AM
situational awareness

Hate when that happens!

StephenB
07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I helped them load it, that car was in bad bad shape :( really unfortunate to see that happen to anyone. Wrong place wrong time. I bet the guy in the right had no idea they were three wide, although you need to assume so on that first lap.

Stephen

vicktorvolpe
07-22-2013, 12:04 PM
I helped them load it, that car was in bad bad shape :( really unfortunate to see that happen to anyone. Wrong place wrong time. I bet the guy in the right had no idea they were three wide, although you need to assume so on that first lap.

Stephen

Stephen thanks for the help loading.

-Vick

ner88
07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Seems to me the guy in the middle created the problem. He certainly knew where all the other cars were. Pick one and draft! :shrug:

ner88
07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Car on right was form up this way, Not like he hasent ever hit anyone. Might be why he has a spare car.
How many spare cars do you have Dan???:D

Dano77
07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
How many spare cars do you have Dan???:D

There might be a few old crappy cars laying around in NH for various drivers to use in a pinch. They arent just for me.

Ed Funk
07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Seems to me the guy in the middle created the problem. He certainly knew where all the other cars were. Pick one and draft! :shrug:

He was already going faster than left or right, why draft? He also had at least 6 inches on either side when he made the move, purple car moved way to late to block the hole!

RSTPerformance
07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
The guy on the right moved over for no reason... track is straight and the next turn is a right hand turn.
Not sure what way it would go if a proest was fied as it was more of a racing incident where the guy on the left and the one following were inocently taken out. I wouldn't expect this driver on the right to do this again. Hopefully he learned something so that he/she has people to keep racing with in the future.

Raymond

benspeed
07-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Fantastic racing in the Pro IT. Very clean and concienteous racing - excellent situation awareness. I know I gave a fellow in the 300Z a show when I nearly lost it in the bus stop on the third lap coming in a little hot.

Bummed that my in-car only got the first two laps and then the battery died.

Great to see all the drivers and a huge thanks to DA, Terry, Geoff and the whole Pro IT management group, Glen region folks and the workers.

Can't wait for the Pro IT next weekend - that will be THE BIG SHOW!!!!! ARCA - anybody have a car for my? Will take a top 10!!! I ran close to ARCA times in my GTA car :-)

Andy Bettencourt
07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
The guy on the right moved over for no reason... track is straight and the next turn is a right hand turn.
Not sure what way it would go if a proest was fied as it was more of a racing incident where the guy on the left and the one following were inocently taken out. I wouldn't expect this driver on the right to do this again. Hopefully he learned something so that he/she has people to keep racing with in the future.

Raymond

My thoughts are that he was trying to 'squeeze ' the black car over so he would have a better run through the bus-stop....not knowing that move would cause the incident because he was unaware of the blue car.

Bad move, bad result.

Your's in Monday-Morning Quaterbacking,

;)

AB

kcolbey
07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Looking to see if I can learn something from my weekend. (skip toward the end for the crash, watch the previously laps to see what led to it)Doesn't seem to want to embed? (http://youtu.be/qj0oVyB3Wek)
Is this just one of those racing deals? It's my first time that I've ever hit another car, and needless to say that it doesn't feel too good.

Andy Bettencourt
07-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Looking to see if I can learn something from my weekend. (skip toward the end for the crash, watch the previously laps to see what led to it)Doesn't seem to want to embed? (http://youtu.be/qj0oVyB3Wek)
Is this just one of those racing deals? It's my first time that I've ever hit another car, and needless to say that it doesn't feel too good.

I think you will get a variety of comments on that one. Some will say you dove-bombed him, some will say he chopped you.

What do YOU think happened?

JLawton
07-23-2013, 07:19 AM

First off, that is the fastest RX7 in a straight line I've ever seen!!!

It's easy for us to sit back and watch it over and over and give our useless comments........ :)

I personally would not have stuck my nose in there............

team-gpracing
07-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I think it's his line.

Do you think you would have been able to hold the inside line if he gave you a car's width? You looked pretty hot coming in.

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2013, 10:37 AM
I think it's his line.

Do you think you would have been able to hold the inside line if he gave you a car's width? You looked pretty hot coming in.

While that may or may not be a valid point, it never got to that because the RX7 went right to the Apex.

It's an age-long debate. The CRX was obviously there so some would say the RX-7 needed to give racing room or risk contact. Others would say it was an impossible pass and the CRX needed to back out.

Dano77
07-23-2013, 11:17 AM
It's an age-long debate. The CRX was obviously there so some would say the RX-7 needed to give racing room or risk contact. Others would say it was an impossible pass and the CRX needed to back out.

I have benn on both sides of this. and been both guys in the past. This is a tough call.

That is one FAST RX7. I should have gone but would have been beat. He dosent go anywhere else form what I understand. He probably feels the same about NHMS.

Abhi
07-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Some will say you dive-bombed him, some will say he chopped you.

It will be interesting when Mickey posts his video from the Saturday race. The #72 did his fair share of blocking & chopping.

Personally I was not so happy with the #72 when he drove me off the road in the Sunday race.

Watch this video from about the 1:40 mark. It is the first half of the race.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-rcRL5xhzWxZmZacVZ3UUxxTGc/edit?usp=sharing

This is the second half. I couldn't figure out how to put them in the same file. That is one fast Nissan 240SX.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-rcRL5xhzWxUFAwR1o2VjJfZDg/edit?usp=sharing

I am taking up a collection to buy the #72 a rear view mirror. :)

Also that is the fastest RX7 in a straight line that I have ever seen.

Abhi

mossaidis
07-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi,

I don't have much time right to post after-thoughts regarding WGI. In all, it was a good time, though not without it's frustrating moments. In general, I got quicker every session since I have not been back in a while. I certainly could have used a test day before hand. A well-prepared car was my saving grace as I think I left 1+ seconds out there. I did learn from some SM's running in STL how to navigate the bus stop and turn 11 w/o lifting. I worked my way up to taking the carousel at full speed finally since Bruce Perry in 1st place was my motivating factor. Last thoughts... yeah, that #72 IT7/A was uber fast in a straight line AND dead slow in the corners. I need to plan my passes better as I almost tapped him many times. (Don't mind the hand signals.) Owner of the IT7 car when asked says his car is NOT ported. :)

Sat AM qualifying
https://vimeo.com/70831774

Sat PM qual race (3rd place)
https://vimeo.com/70863933

Sun Race is being uploaded...

Mickey

gran racing
07-23-2013, 11:47 AM
What were the ITA race results and times?

mossaidis
07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
I sent you the jpg of results. Feel free to post here.

jwasilko
07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
yeah, that #72 IT7/A was uber fast in a straight line AND dead slow in the corners. I need to plan my passes better as I almost tapped him many times. (Don't mind the hand signals.) Owner of the IT7 car when asked says his car is NOT ported. :)

Holy carp that's a fast RX7.

Drew M
07-23-2013, 12:36 PM
While that may or may not be a valid point, it never got to that because the RX7 went right to the Apex.

It's been my understanding that if the passing car isn't able to get it's nose up to the door of the car being passed, then the car being passed is within its 'right' to take the apex away.

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2013, 01:39 PM
It's been my understanding that if the passing car isn't able to get it's nose up to the door of the car being passed, then the car being passed is within its 'right' to take the apex away.

And since that is not written anywhere in the rulebook IIRC, it is also a risk to 'take' it away as seen in the video. If I even think there is a nose in there, I choose to leave some room.

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2013, 01:40 PM
This is the second half. I couldn't figure out how to put them in the same file. That is one fast Nissan 240SX.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-rcRL5xhzWxUFAwR1o2VjJfZDg/edit?usp=sharing

Abhi

The areas where he really gets away is a combination of you getting balked up and his torque. When you have space, you run heads up. It's strong, no doubt.

Dano77
07-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Holy carp that's a fast RX7.

Andy, Greg I think your car is in NY

Get it before I do.

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Andy, Greg I think your car is in NY

Get it before I do.

That grey one? Shit, I could win ITA with that kinda power. :)

Drew M
07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
And since that is not written anywhere in the rulebook IIRC, it is also a risk to 'take' it away as seen in the video. If I even think there is a nose in there, I choose to leave some room.

Agreed. Its cheaper to give up a position than fix the car.

Ed Funk
07-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Rotaries have torque?

benspeed
07-23-2013, 04:04 PM
I would have waited on that pass attemp "from Banzai Ben". Got to make it a clean one or only a little rub. He had to know you were there so he can't beg much innocence though.

My wallet hath teacheth me - wait or pay...even those little rubs add up to a lot of body work and paint by the end of the season.

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Rotaries have torque?

He was talking about the 240SX.

Rotaries have 5:12's. LOL

benspeed
07-23-2013, 06:58 PM
I would bet the ita rx7 had 5:12 gears and big profile tires - that was my its wgi setup with my many rx7 s

kcolbey
07-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Hmm... pretty much what I expected. In the car, I was thinking "I've finally got a better run down the straight, I've got this!" A few laps before you can see him point, so my thinking was, again, if this is close, he'll leave some space.
Also from in the car, I think I would've been able to hold the inside, but it's doubtful I would've done anything other than let the silver Miata catch us both. I run out of 3rd gear on the short heel straight, and can't leave it in 4th around 9.
Now, when I watch the video and think about it more, I can see that he had cleared me. I should've packed it in and waited.

It's all part of learning to race, not just drive fast I guess.

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2013, 08:29 PM

Fo-Sho!

raffaelli
07-23-2013, 10:12 PM

I would say 72 could have (should have considered straight line speed) left room. The 69 didnt have the turn and should have backed out. Both cars ok?

raffaelli
07-23-2013, 10:16 PM
... In the car, I was thinking "I've finally got a better run down the straight, I've got this!"..

Been in there before....all part of the learning curve.

StephF
07-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Age and treachery over youth and enthusiasm....

benspeed
07-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Heres a factoid - ive got an Aim solo lap timer that gives the ability to download a ton of data. Top speed was 134 mph - wonder if folks think thats fast or slow. Ive never had a working speedo so ive never known what speed im running. Also interesting is that top speed varied a lot telling me i need to work on a consistant run out of t1. Never got any drafts so i bet another 5 mph is there

JLawton
07-24-2013, 08:25 AM

:023:

I know it must have been frustrating getting stuck behind him. In any other RX7 you could have powered by him on the straight. But after seeing some other video of his driving, he definitely needs to be more aware. In Abhi's video he chops an ITS RX7 in the esses that I was holding my breath on. I think if the ITS RX7 had stayed on the power there would have been a multi car pile up.

As I like to say in these situations. it takes two to tango.........

mossaidis
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Here's Sunday's Race. Good times with a green Meotor and Phil in his 944 cup car all the while trying to catch up to Bruce Perry who has slowing down in his last 3-4 laps due to handling/rear tire issues. Lots of hand shakes after the race. Bruce said he never worked harder for 1st place. (Big Smile)

https://vimeo.com/70943873

I got the carousel at full speed and 11 w/o lifting much. I need to work on 12 and that bus stop.

PS. The Green Meotor had mech issues... I think and park it on the uphill for the latter part of the race :(

lawtonglenn
07-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Here's my Sunday race (cycle HD off if video is choppy)

http://vimeo.com/70967976

http://vimeo.com/lawtonglenn

I got a realllllly nice (lucky) start, where a hole opened up and I went into it,
and nobody else tried to take it... awesome... went from 9th OA to 5th OA
while still in the esses!

Tom Capizzi won the race overall in the white ITR Autotechnic E46... um, oops,
did I say ITR, I meant "ITS"... beating everybody, all the ITR cars too

The excellent part is me and Jon Farbman (Green/Black Flatout ITS Miata) racing for 2nd
throughout the race... we switched positions 4 times! He ended up taking it, though the lapped
traffic introduced considerable uncertainty as I strove to catch him on our last lap (2:16.9) ...
be sure to watch the second to the last turn at the end of the video (28:00)

racing close like this is a BLAST!! Thanks Jon!

StephenB
07-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks for sharing your video Glen... It was cool to see my car, only sad part is that you got me on the start! Here is my full video from the race on Sunday.

I was really excited to stay with the lead pack of ITR cars for the first time. Came in 4th but oh so close to second!

I had a terrible start and as you will see from the video I need some more HP!! In the draft I can "keep up" but certainly not gain any speed to make a pass :( Brakes and cornering are DEFINETLY the strength of the RX8, I wonder how much better it would be without used tires I got for free from smarty that had 12 heat cycles on them from an S2000...!

Stephen

Quality isn't that great since I don't own any software that I can download the file with. I have Roxio Creater 2010 but for some reason it doesn't download the sound with the video. If anyone has suggestions on good software that would work for an AVI file let me know :) (This was obviously a trial version of wondershare that I used as you can see the watermark...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZ9MOkynes&feature=youtu.be

Flyinglizard
07-31-2013, 10:00 AM
VLC media

awegrzyn
08-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Quality isn't that great since I don't own any software that I can download the file with. I have Roxio Creater 2010 but for some reason it doesn't download the sound with the video. If anyone has suggestions on good software that would work for an AVI file let me know (This was obviously a trial version of wondershare that I used as you can see the watermark...)

Just buy PowerDirector 11 for $50 and your videos will be pro. It's super simple and once you learn it you'll be able to use all others. My favorite Sony Vegas Pro ($900) is "free", but it requires to look for that YouTube "installation" video.

What camera are you using? Your movies have 240 resolution only. If your camera captures low resolution there is not much software will do.

Eagle7
08-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Just buy PowerDirector 11 for $50 and your videos will be pro.

+1