PDA

View Full Version : Rx7 it

#8rx7
06-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Anybody have any info/pics on front splitters for a 1st gen? There are some available from various suppliers but are there any ideas on homemade or other options.

lateapex911
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM
I've seen tons, and sorry to IT7 guys,(I used to be one of them) most of the homemade stuff looks, and performs like crap.
Making your own airdam is time consuming and likely more expensive than buying one.

Mike at ISC has a good one that fits well, is legal, and functions properly. And it's cheap. problem is, shipping is pricey and he might no longer be making them, as the 1st gen Rx-7 is nearing the end of it's run.
Call him and see if you can talk him into running a batch. Then get TWO. The shipping will be halved essentially, and you WILL need a second, unless you have it as a spare.

If Mikes not cooperative, then try and find someone that has one, get the proper mold release and resins, cloth, etc and pull a mold off it. it's a good piece, and could form the basis of something even better.

I know Dan Sheppard up in NH has one on his car since that one used to be mine. He'd probably be willing to talk about molds and such, but I think before you do that, call Mike at ISC.

blueray
06-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I bought Mike's last two. At least that's what he told me at the time (couple of years ago). Dad has a decent homemade one from aluminum. I can try to get some pics of it if you want? Course it's bent up along the bottom now from going on the trailer.

jr2dad6888
06-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Well, I have a brand new one that hasn't been on a car yet. Looks like I better figure out how to duplicate it before it gets put into service.

Dano77
06-06-2013, 09:45 AM
This is a copy of the ISC/Mazda Comp part that was installed on the 95 IT7 car 2 weeks ago

http://www.carbodykitstore.com/mazda-rx7-speed-style-front-lip-p-6053.html?cPath=53_260

Free Shipping. We cant duplicate it for this amount.

Dan 77 IT7

lateapex911
06-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Good find

RX555
06-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Then there's the question of do we really need them? I was told back when I started that all they really did is add drag and car was faster without it. It looks like it should increase air into brake ducts and maybe force a bit more air into rad/oil cooler, though.

Simon T.
06-11-2013, 05:26 PM
This is a copy of the ISC/Mazda Comp part that was installed on the 95 IT7 car 2 weeks ago

http://www.carbodykitstore.com/mazda-rx7-speed-style-front-lip-p-6053.html?cPath=53_260

Free Shipping. We cant duplicate it for this amount.

Dan 77 IT7

So you DO have one? I've been eying those for down the road due to cost but was unsure how reliable the source was. :p

Dano77
06-11-2013, 07:32 PM
The 7 car out of our shop has the Mazda IMSA Plastic front spoiler. The 77 car has the ISC spoiler on the front. The 95 has the one I mentioned on it.

Nice piece and pretty well made. Cant beat the cost and shipping.

lateapex911
06-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Then there's the question of do we really need them? I was told back when I started that all they really did is add drag and car was faster without it. It looks like it should increase air into brake ducts and maybe force a bit more air into rad/oil cooler, though.

I haven't wind tunnel tested it, but common sense suggests strongly that the car will be faster and have less front end lift with one. As well as VERY important brake cooling and better air to the radiator and oil cooler.

Are the ones available the absolute best (legal) solution in terms of lift reduction, drag reduction and air control?? Probably not. But way better than the stock front end.