PDA

View Full Version : STL Weight classification exercise

JeffYoung
04-06-2013, 01:27 AM
1600 cc, wishbones up front, struts and trailing arms rear, FWD.

2160 x .95 = 2052 right?

tom91ita
04-08-2013, 10:52 PM
1600 cc, wishbones up front, struts and trailing arms rear, FWD.

2160 x .95 = 2052 right?

Looks right to me.

Greg Amy
04-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Except...where did the -5% come from...?

GA, suspecting Mr Young of playing word games, but curious enough to play along...

Andy Bettencourt
04-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Assuming a DOHC, I would get:

No weight reduction because it's not a strut front and no addition because it's not RWD.

What am I missing?

tom91ita
04-09-2013, 07:44 AM
i was just looking at the rules again and realized i had screwed up in my comment.

when looking at the GCR on line, i keep forgetting to look if i am in the STU or STL specific sections because the top of the page says Super Touring and sometimes i am in the wrong section.

i had seen this but it was part of the STU specific ruleset:

Front wheel drive cars may reduce their minimum weight by 5%. Front wheel drive cars with a strut type front suspension may reduce their minimum weight by an additional 2.5%.

but in the STL section it says this:

Rear wheel drive cars in STL must add 2.5 percent of their standard STL weight.
4. Front wheel drive cars with a strut type front suspension may reduce their minimum weight by 2.5 percent.

JeffYoung
04-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Yep, no word games, same error as Tom. I read the STU rule and thought it applied to STL.

Robbie
04-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Back to the Elan? If so, do it!

Greg Amy
04-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Yep, no word games, same error as Tom. I read the STU rule and thought it applied to STL.
It's actually a common error, one that I've considered addressing. I don't like that we add for STL and subtract for STU, but there's very little support for changing them (now that STO is gone I may re-try).... - GA

JeffYoung
04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Back to the Elan? If so, do it!

I've got a very good motor in the TR and some very high end shocks on it now (Koni 28xxs), and one better motor on the way. That's probably 3-4 years of pointy end racing, but considering my next move. I won't sell the TR, too much sentiment there, but weekly brake maintenance on the car is starting to wear on me.

Thinking either a 944S for ITS since S is so strong around here, but also considering the Elan for STL. Double wishbone ladder frame, WIDE track, good aero, and good power for its displacement (1.6 and 130 stock hp). Been talking to a builder about the potential on the motor and if it pans out I may do it.

You can get a ratty one for $7-8k now too.

Robbie
04-09-2013, 08:02 PM
They're neat cars. Another nice thing is all of the motor parts swap with Geo Storm GSi's or Impulse/Stylus XS's.

If you need a head to show a builder, let me know. I've got a few spares. I've been an Isuzu fan for over a decade and have accumulated quite a pile of parts.

Chip42
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
another dad at my kid's daycare is also a stylus/storm fan. he has a few, one with serious mods, and I drive by his house daily. so I could also help deliver the knowledge.

$7k for a car before race costs though.... gulp. I could spend that much on a civic, including prep, and do pretty well. becomes an uphill battle for you.

but I know you like the oddballs and the challenge. I never did think of you as the FWD type, though.

Robbie
04-10-2013, 09:00 AM
another dad at my kid's daycare is also a stylus/storm fan. he has a few, one with serious mods, and I drive by his house daily. so I could also help deliver the knowledge.

$7k for a car before race costs though.... gulp. I could spend that much on a civic, including prep, and do pretty well. becomes an uphill battle for you.

but I know you like the oddballs and the challenge. I never did think of you as the FWD type, though.

Would this guy be named Eddie, Luc or Tim?

Chip42
04-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I honestly don't know his name... we've probably talked for a combined 3 hours about cars etc but names never came up. He lives near Apopka, FL.