PDA

View Full Version : The end of the world?

dickita15
03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Well I put on my Tech hat this morning and issued a brandy new log book for what may be the first in the country ITR Corvette. Very neat a tidy build but I would expect nothing less from Brian.

Chip42
03-23-2013, 01:53 PM
I knew we classed that car for a reason, glad to hear it's ready to go!

Definitely NOT the end of the world.

Andy Bettencourt
03-23-2013, 02:05 PM
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/FOM09/613D91B6-63BD-4C78-9022-10D1D953683F-20972-00000F5958C259C1_zps830eca73.jpg

Would be nice to get that 'extra' 50lbs back for DW's in ITR...

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/FOM09/24378FC2-456C-4A11-B943-385716B57C42-20972-00000F5938A4B1AB_zpscc581c93.jpg

Greg Amy
03-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Sweet. Reminds me of the old Corvette Challenge cars...and I bet the prep level is pretty similar. - GA

Ron Earp
03-23-2013, 08:07 PM
That's a nice car right there and I bet it'll be a hell of a car to beat in ITR. Beautiful, and I ain't no Corvette lover by a long shot. Would love to see more detail pictures.

JeffYoung
03-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Nice build. Quit bitchin' about the 50 lbs and go develop/drive the car.

What's up with that exhaust?????

Ron Earp
03-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Was thinking the same thing about the exhaust.....hopefully it isn't wearing some off the shelf headers too.....

Abhi
03-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Is this Corvette going to run in the Northeast ? Someone to finally give Dave Maynard some competition ?

Maybe he is going to need that new built motor that he is putting in the orange BMW. :)

Abhi

StephenB
03-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Is this Corvette going to run in the Northeast ? Someone to finally give Dave Maynard some competition ?

Maybe he is going to need that new built motor that he is putting in the orange BMW. :)

Abhi

I was at Daves place the other day... That orange BMW is going to be VERY fast this year... :)

Stephen

dickita15
03-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Brian said he expects to be at NHMS in April. While it looks like a nice build I would certainly thing it will take some development.

924Guy
03-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Ermagad!!!

Very nice, will be fun to see that beast pounding 'round the track. Almost makes me want to build one too...

Ron Earp
03-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Brian said he expects to be at NHMS in April. While it looks like a nice build I would certainly thing it will take some development.

It will take development but the challenge is enjoyable. It is cool to see something new emerge in IT.

Andy Bettencourt
03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Far from off-the-shelf headers. Brian did a TON of research on that side of the build. He actually worked for Kim Baker back in the day...

BrianB
03-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Hey Everyone,
thanks again to Dick for coming by to issue the logbook.The Corvette is officially a race car which is a nice point to be at after a long build!Thanks to Andy also for his efforts to get it classified.
The headers are Bassani TRI Y headers that were developed for the C4 with good results. The 1 5/8" primaries to 2.5" at the collectors I think will work best with the restrictive TBI intake.
The big questions right now are whether the TBI motor can be responsive and produce competitive power and whether the smaller 84 brakes can slow down 3200# quickly... otherwise there is allot of upside to the car...
Will find out soon...cant wait!

Brian Bagnall
#3 ITR Corvette
NER

JeffYoung
03-24-2013, 09:40 PM
It's a great build, I really like this car.

I wouldn't rely on any conventional wisdom with this car and the exhaust, which in my opinion will be absolutely key to getting it to rev some and actually make some power out of the torque.

No offense at all, but even with the rudimentary knowledge I developed with my motor (which has similar restrictions on the intake side) it's hard to believe pipe lengths out the back like that with mufflers that far back make sense.

I'd definitely pull out the Pipemax or Headerdesign programs or talk to Burns. IT builds are really like nothing else out there. I shifted my torque peak up a few hundred RPM by working with Burns and it made all the difference in the world in peak power.

BrianB
03-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks Jeff, the picture of the car was at a muffled event at Lime Rock.The system on the car i believe is in the right direction but time will tell whats best.
It's a whole new world

ulfelder
03-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Also, it doubles as a RallyCross car - look at the altitude of the back end!

(Just giving grief to my good friend Bags. : ) )

BrianB
03-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Hey Steve,
Its valuable advertising space when its up in the air like that! Got a new book coming out? :)

Andy Bettencourt
03-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Spring suppliers and choices are very limited.

Ron Earp
03-25-2013, 08:41 AM
www.coilsprings.com Call, don't email, and ask to speak to an engineer. They'll try to ask you car type, etc., just tell them it is for a one-off car project from the get go and cut through the tape.

They will wind any diameter spring with rate and end of your choosing for reasonable money. I have used them extensively over the years with the oddball cars I've done; Jensen, Torino, and the Mustang. Clearly the latter two were more successful than the former.....

joeg
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Does it use a transverse leaf spring in the back?

Lots of options.

Ron Earp
03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
DOH! Now that I didn't consider.....but if it does, there are a lot of springs that could be used since mucho muscle cars used them.

R

Chip42
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Ron, it's a single TRANSVERSE leaf spring, not used much outside of the 'vettes and some FWD (W body?) GMs. ruels say you have to use the same type of sring, so it's all about finding a way to preload it and lower the ride height / stiffen the car, assuming no one sells lower / stiffer replacements. one of the many unique features of this car. It's going to be a challenge, and I look forward to seeing the results.

Ron Earp
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
10-4. But them is fun times, fabbing up new stuff and what not. Anybody can buy something off the shelf that someone else dreamed up....

BrianB
03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I have lowered the rear,there is some adjustment at the rear only.With composite transverse leaf springs,the car is as low as the spring rate will allow in the front.It makes corner weighting more difficult but the car isn't so far off that rear adjustment only doesn't get it there...It has 84 Z51 springs with 85 Z51 sway bars. this is the stiffest combination of factory C4 components. We'll see...

Flyinglizard
03-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Sweet car.
I have many laps in the 89-C4. Fun Vett..
Fastest was/is with the rear bar off. Left foot trail brake deep, and lots of power on apex. The owner hooked up the rear bar but goes lots slower.
With so little power, you need to get it lit early . With the bar hooked up you could not mat the power, unhooked you could. Work the settings until the power can be 100%. I dont see how it can be done without trail braking this car. With so many laps on this car we tried about everything.

There are lots of rear springs around and dropping links. Low is better .
Very little toe out each end ( 1mm), helps it roll clean. We had lots of tire pressure on Kumhos. I Hope to get North for some laps and races @ WGI.,mid July. Contact me if you need some go faster guidance. . MM

PS, you can corner weight the car with the front sway bar links.

BrianB
03-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks MM, I'll give you a call!

924Guy
03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
What about using the leafs from the later cars (C5/6/7)

Maybe we should ask the guys in the know, see if they'd fit... and if the rates might be any better...

JohnRW
03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
http://landrumspring.com/main.html

These guys have good leaf spring tech on their web site. I remember (....kinda fuzzy now...was a decade ago...) working with them to sort out the rear leaf springs on the '65 Mustang race car.

JW

CRallo
03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
great looking build!!! awesome to see! Might ruin the look of ITR though... :dead_horse: but not really!

Dave has competition already, just ask Rob about that...

Also, it doubles as a RallyCross car - look at the altitude of the back end!

(Just giving grief to my good friend Bags. : ) )

Going to try to drive under the back of his car also?! :p

Ron Earp
03-26-2013, 02:42 PM
http://landrumspring.com/main.html

These guys have good leaf spring tech on their web site. I remember (....kinda fuzzy now...was a decade ago...) working with them to sort out the rear leaf springs on the '65 Mustang race car.

JW

We use their springs on our Mustangs and they are great to work with. I didn't know they did leaf springs.

If they don't show what you want on their site then call them. They did special rate springs for us that included spring dyno sheets for about $50 a spring.

Ron

JIgou
03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
www.coilsprings.com (http://www.coilsprings.com) Call, don't email, and ask to speak to an engineer. They'll try to ask you car type, etc., just tell them it is for a one-off car project from the get go and cut through the tape.

They will wind any diameter spring with rate and end of your choosing for reasonable money. I have used them extensively over the years with the oddball cars I've done; Jensen, Torino, and the Mustang. Clearly the latter two were more successful than the former.....

Very interesting. I've eyeballed them more than once, trying to decide which coil springs to put on the front of my motorhome. They have a pretty attractively-priced offering for my application (comes with supplemental airbags from the factory that always end up leaking - hot setup is to install weight-specific springs).

benspeed
03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Can't wait to see it on the track Brian! Looking forward to checking it out

Is your 968 still in your garage?

Flyinglizard
03-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Nice talking to you Brian.
Here is the gear chart page. There is also an exhaust size equation..

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

StephF
03-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Very nice! Can't wait to see it in person this season.

BrianB
03-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Hey Ben,
You coming to NHMS in april? Yeah! the 968 is still here.I love driving that car!!!

Mike,thanks for sharing that wealth of knowledge you have...this compilation of calculators is awesome...

Brian

benspeed
03-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Hey Brian probably won't venture out much this season.ooking at only four or five events close to NJ.

Cheers!

ulfelder
03-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Hey Brian probably won't venture out much this season.ooking at only four or five events close to NJ.

Cheers!

Ben, I've got a limited schedule myself this year - busy with work stuff - but you should definitely try to make the big WGI Regional/Pro-IT weekend in July. That's the one I've got circled on my calendar! :D

benspeed
03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
That is one event I will be sure to do WGI is my favorite!

Ewelina88
04-22-2013, 01:26 AM
That's a nice car right there and I bet it'll be a hell of a car to beat in ITR....