PDA

View Full Version : Rotaries in STL

racermr2
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Greg Amy: I'm confused over how rotaries are treated in STL. Are they full fledged STL vehicles or are they only given "a place to play". The reason for my confusion is a rotary vehicle won the majors at Sebring recently. This win knocked a fully legal STL competitor out of contingency money/prizes. Understand, I don't care whether they are in or out but my STL build is at a stage that I need to decide whether my vehicle will be piston or rotary. I read your other posts on the subject as well as other forum member responses but I'm confused since the rotary win at Sebring. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Greg Amy
02-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Two ways you can build a rotary for STL:

- ITA/S specs, 9.1.4.2.H.2. Cars must be prepped 100% to IT specs, including weight.

- STL specs, 9.1.4.2.I, Table A. Car must be prepped 100% to STL specs and must weigh per the chart, plus 3.5% if installed in a RWD chassis.

An ITS-spec RX-7 finished 3rd in the 2012 Runoffs in the STL demonstration class, so they have potential...

- GA, who's hoping that rotary was also a "fully legal STL competitor", otherwise someone shoulda tossed some paper at it...

Andy Bettencourt
02-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Greg Amy: I'm confused over how rotaries are treated in STL. Are they full fledged STL vehicles or are they only given "a place to play". The reason for my confusion is a rotary vehicle won the majors at Sebring recently. This win knocked a fully legal STL competitor out of contingency money/prizes. Understand, I don't care whether they are in or out but my STL build is at a stage that I need to decide whether my vehicle will be piston or rotary. I read your other posts on the subject as well as other forum member responses but I'm confused since the rotary win at Sebring. Any clarification would be appreciated.

So as Greg eluded to, assuming legality, the rotaries ARE full fledged STL cars when in legal IT-trim.

Now having said that, regardless of the Runoffs results from the maiden trip to RA, a full-tilt-boogie effort in an ST-spec car should have a better power to weight and better aero than the rotards.

lateapex911
02-26-2013, 01:58 AM
This is a classic "one win" means little situation, I think.
Was the car legal?
Was it a full build?
What was the competition like?
Who was the driver?
Who were the drivers he was up against?
How did the times compare to say, ITS?
What was the prep level of the competition?
What tires were they on?
etc etc etc etc .....

Purely by the numbers a full tilt ITS RX-7 will make maybe 185...and at 2680, out weighs STL cars by a significant amount. They are great cars no doubt, and the Huffmasters (among others) have wrung incredible performance out of them, but, the numbers aren't in their favor.

If you love rotaries, and thats a first priority, then you can be competitive locally.
If winning the Ruboffs is your fist priority, then you really have to do some in depth research.

Knestis
02-26-2013, 06:52 AM
But JAAA-aake, it WO-nnnnnn....!!!

Greg Amy
02-26-2013, 08:35 AM
...regardless of the Runoffs results...

This is a classic "one win" means little...

But JAAA-aake, it WO-nnnnnn....!!!

I love it when the ex-ITAC Cybersisters go into coordinated attack mode..."woman scorned" and all that...:happy204:

;)

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/cybersisters.htm (http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/cybersisters.htm)

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/Assets/cybersisters.jpg

Andy Bettencourt
02-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Not attack mode by any stretch. I will fully admit that the rotards seem to be more competitive than I thought right away. Now whether that is because STL builds have less potential than they show me on paper or the development is slower than expected I am not sure...but in a year or two, I would still think there should be no example within a second per lap of the top dog at the Runoffs.

And by the STAC's own admission from the outset, they were weighted up so as to NOT create waves for the 'piston-based' class. So the STAC either screwed up and has accepted them as front runners (doubtful) or is just waiting for development to progress.

lateapex911
02-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Scorn has nothing to do with it, just trying to answer the OPs question, and as a non Advisory Committee guy, I can be pretty open, possibly objective. ;)

The way i look at it is: IF say, King Motorsports were to do a full on effort and build a proper CRX for STL, and have say Bob Endicott drive it, how would it fare against say Huffmaster in an ITS RX-7??

Now, that assumes (as a starting point) that the CRX with a top flight engine is going to be a top tier contender. Of course there might be other cars that can exceed the power to weight ratio that folks think a Honda motor can on paper, but so far it's a good choice for what is possible. One thing we do know is that the ITS RX-7 is at the point on the development curve where (if history holds) large gains are not to be had.
As a class, STL is on the steep part of the curve, so larger gains are expected.

BUT, there are other factors that will affect those gains, the first being the popularity of the class.

Knestis
02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh, no you DIT-nt, bitch...!

Waitaminute...

K

Dano77
02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I will be over here smiling and waving.