PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen Hotel Recommendation

jrem72
02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Going to race in the Major at Watkins Glen in July. Can anyone recommend a reasonable and decent hotel in Watkins Glen?
Thanks
JR

jwasilko
02-10-2013, 11:24 PM
I've stayed at the Seneca Clipper Inn quite a few times and it's been good.

lateapex911
02-11-2013, 02:34 AM
Seneca Lodge is the "classic". Rooms are 'vintage'. But the bar is road racing history.

Also pretty historical (Lots of F1 pictures etc) is the Glen Motor Inn. Nice owners, but again, pretty dated. (the bar is right out of the Brady Bunch) But, awesome views of the lake. And cheap.

Ed Funk
02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Glen Motor Inn...EZ to find, good food....hard to park a truck and trailer.
Montour Falls, Relax Inn...cheap, clean, small, small parking area.
Inn at the Falls, beautiful B&B, beautiful view of falls right outside your
window. Minimal parking.

Best bet for almost all is drop your trailer at the track before checking in, because most have minimal or difficult to access parking.

Eat at the Seneca lodge....don't stay there...rooms are a bad joke!

BruceG
02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Within a 20 mile radius of WGI, there are 22 hotels listed, including Hampton Inns,Best Westerns, Courtyard Marriots(sp),ad naseaum.......Obviously some will have room to park a trailer but as Ed says....leave it at the track. Ithaca appears to have some good choices with the school being there.

StephF
02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Whatever you choose, book it now.

BruceG
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Whatever you choose, book it now.

Bunch of hotels in Elmir/Corning, too,....but I know you and Ed like to stay in Horseheads........LOL:dead_horse:

Drew M
02-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Apart from a few hotels, they're all bed/breakfasts. I literally look at the google maps of downtown WGI and call the different places that are noted. I don't recommend the Motor Inn.

I can't remember the name, but there's a small place with individual cabins that is just past the motor inn. Theyre rather new and are right on the lake, not that you are ever really there during daylight hours anyways. I DO recommend that place. The only drawback is that our room had only a space heater for heat. That was a little cold in October.

slopok
02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Most of the motels in the village of watkins glen are overpriced dumps with a minimum stay. Try corning or horseheads just minutes away and you wont pay (race weekend rates). There's a few very good eating establishments also if your into that.

jrem72
02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the info!
JR

Greg Amy
02-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Eat at the Seneca lodge....don't stay there...rooms are a bad joke!
You're soft, Ed. Nothing like sitting out on the deck drinking some JD and enjoying the conversation of fellow racers. And you're 10 minutes from the track. No concierge to call, but that place has character and I like it. And the barkeep brews his own beer!

Now, if you ever decide to stay at the Glen Motor Inn, don't get talked into the "Gorgeous View" across the highway from there (they own it, and that's their overflow). That's pretty much Americana "motel" and all that that implies (no phones, and the steps for "in case of fire" start with "1: evacuate room into parking lot; 2: knock on doors of other guests to let them know". And bring your can of WD-40 with you into the room to grease up the squirrel cage bearings in the window A/C...)

- GA

BruceG
02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
You're soft, Ed. Nothing like sitting out on the deck drinking some JD and enjoying the conversation of fellow racers. And you're 10 minutes from the track. No concierge to call, but that place has character and I like it. And the barkeep brews his own beer!

Now, if you ever decide to stay at the Glen Motor Inn, don't get talked into the "Gorgeous View" across the highway from there (they own it, and that's their overflow). That's pretty much Americana "motel" and all that that implies (no phones, and the steps for "in case of fire" start with "1: evacuate room into parking lot; 2: knock on doors of other guests to let them know". And bring your can of WD-40 with you into the room to grease up the squirrel cage bearings in the window A/C...)

- GA

Greg enjoys the Bates Motel concept.....LOL.

Ed Funk
02-12-2013, 07:32 AM
:024:
you're soft, ed.

Not if i take the right meds.

Seneca lodge has two room "suites". The master bedroom has a double bed....you can keep your knees against the bed, and your butt against the wall...all the way around. The second room is also a sleeping area....if you brought your sleeping bag and like sleeping in a sitting position.

Now, if you ever decide to stay at the glen motor inn, don't get talked into the "gorgeous view" across the highway from there (they own it, and that's their overflow). That's pretty much americana "motel" and all that that implies (no phones, and the steps for "in case of fire" start with "1: Evacuate room into parking lot; 2: Knock on doors of other guests to let them know". And bring your can of wd-40 with you into the room to grease up the squirrel cage bearings in the window a/c...)

concur, their main rooms are about as "quaint".

- ga

Drew M
02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I prefer to camp, personally. All you really need is a shower, and the showers at The Glen are plenty nice enough.

jrem72
02-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Thought they didn't have showers at The Glen?

tdw6974
02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Now 2 sets

jrem72
02-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Nice, in that case camping is an option.

ulfelder
02-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Sheesh, tough crowd here. I stayed at the Glen Motor Inn last year and found it perfectly decent.

team-gpracing
02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Nothing like sitting out on the deck drinking some JD and enjoying the conversation of fellow racers. And you're 10 minutes from the track. No concierge to call, but that place has character and I like it. And the barkeep brews his own beer!

I'm with Greg (except for Ed being soft....can't comment on that). I love the Seneca Lodge. It isn't very fancy, but it gets the job done. If you drink enough at the bar, the room doesn't matter anyway.

Ed Funk
02-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Only drink non-alcohol beer....less than 0.5% alcohol. Have to drink a truck load to stay there!

Drew M
02-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Now 2 sets

One near the heel of the boot and another at the top of the esses/kinda close to the pyramid store.

CRallo
02-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Just do the Seneca Lodge. Nothing in or around WG or MF has great rooms... They are all livable. Seneca wins with it's location, food/drink and atmosphere.

What are you running at The Majors?

wepsbee
02-28-2013, 08:22 PM
One near the heel of the boot and another at the top of the esses/kinda close to the pyramid store.
Another one which I find cleaner is down the gravel road behind the back straight.
Go under the tunnel as if you were leaving but hang a right after exiting the tunnel.