PDA

View Full Version : Reducing weight on topside of car

stevestratton
02-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Building out a 1990 Miata for STL and want your opinions on spending $$$$ to reduce the topside weight on the car. In particular, windows, hood and trunk? Already working on the motor, need to buy an ECU management system and wondering if I should upgrade the current ITA suspension or spend the money to, in effect, make some adjustment to the CG??? :shrug:
Thanks Steve

Rabbit07
02-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Building out a 1990 Miata for STL and want your opinions on spending $$$$ to reduce the topside weight on the car. In particular, windows, hood and trunk? Already working on the motor, need to buy an ECU management system and wondering if I should upgrade the current ITA suspension or spend the money to, in effect, make some adjustment to the CG??? :shrug:
Thanks Steve

There is a fiberglass top available out there in the world.

stevestratton
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks, I'll start looking there for weight savings. :D

Matt93SE
02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
I've seen a few carbon fiber tops floating around out there for about $1000 (used). weigh under 10lbs.

never looked at the rules for a top, but I know hood and trunklids are legal for composites..

Rabbit07
02-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Carbon Roofs are not permitted in super touring.

Z3_GoCar
03-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes, it can't be carbon. I know tha Miata's are using a replica hardtop that's way lighter than the OE as they're a single lay up of fiberglas and kevlar and they don't have all that stuff for a nice inside padding or mounts that the oe top has.

Prof. Chaos
01-13-2014, 07:42 PM
You're on the wrong side of the country, but I know 7s Only in Buttonwillow, CA, makes really lightweight fiberglass Miata tops with plexiglass rear windows. I believe they weigh about 10 pounds. Shipping would probably be expensive, but I have heard of people shipping inexpensively via Greyhound.

TomL
01-14-2014, 06:34 PM
I got a lightweight fiberglass top with light Lexan rear window from Treasure Coast Miata in Florida. About 15 pounds and cheaper that a stock top. It's fairly well done. If you don't already have a stock top, it's easily the way to go.

lawtonglenn
01-14-2014, 10:22 PM
... "7s Only" ...makes...Miata tops

and around here, "Sal's just Pizza" makes calzones, salads, and cannolis

:shrug:

Lesson: think ahead before naming your company