PDA

View Full Version : Rear wing/spoiler specs

racermr2
01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Greg Amy: I just read the latest version of the ST Rules for January, 2013. To say the least, I'm confused. Did the STAC and CRB delete the use of rear wing spoilers for STL? I cannot find any reference to the specifications for width(across the trunk), chord depth(front to rear), mount height, etc. Was this an oversight or are rear wings "No Longer Allowed"? I've read the entire ST Regs 3 times and I can't find it. Please define what is the rule for 2013.

Greg Amy
01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Sharp eyes... ;) Glad to see someone paying attention.

There have been NO changes in the regs regarding aero. We had some significant typos in the January 2013 GCR, as we were trying to combine some common STU/STL stuff into the main body with the loss of STO. I'm hoping we've addressed all of them, and the corrections will appear in the Feb 2013 version.

To summarize, reiterate, repeat, and be redundant: there have been no changes in the regs, over and above Dec GCR and collective BoD-approved rules changes.

Someone give this man a +1 Internet points.

- GA, hoping we coulda gotten away with it, but dammit, someone actually read the rulez...

racermr2
01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Greg: Thx for your prompt response. Also be aware there is quite a bit of redundancy in the ST rules especially under the spoiler/splitter section. I'll wait until the Feb update is out. Thx.

Greg Amy
01-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Any feedback you can offer to clarify the regs is much appreciated. With the loss of STO from the category, we're trying to combine as much as possible back into* the main body, so there's always the possibility of errors.

- GA

* You may recall we spent a lot of 2011 moving class-specific stuff into class regs. Now since STU and STL are very similar, we're reversing a lot of that...

racermr2
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Greg: Additional review has revealed"Houston, We have a problem". Specifically the regs state that the rear wing with end plates cannot exceed 48.25" in width(across the back) and must be mounted 6" below the roof peak. Further, a competitor can use the APR SCCA spec wing. This is where the regs present the problem. I contacted APR to purchase a wing only to find that the specs on the wing indicate the wing with end plates attached measures 10" in height from the trunk deck. The regs clearly state that the end plates at its' highest point is where the measurement is taken for the 6 inches below the peak. My vehicle measures 14" from the roof peak to the trunk deck. If I use the APR SCCA Spec wing at 10", I will only be 4" below the roof peak and therefore ILLEGAL per the regs or am I missing something in my logic. Further, I don't feel it is reasonable to spend $900+ dollars for a rear wing designated by SCCA only to be found illegal nor do I feel it is reasonable to expect a competitor to spend that sum and then have to modify a component to meet the regs. Therefore, what is the answer?

Greg Amy
01-20-2013, 02:48 PM
...I will only be 4" below the roof peak and therefore ILLEGAL per the regs or am I missing something in my logic.
Nope, you got it right. You'll need to adjust their mounting brackets to meet the regs; I had to do the same thing with Brooks Motorsport's wing.

...I don't feel it is reasonable to spend $900+ dollars for a rear wing designated by SCCA only to be found illegal...
Note that this wing is not "designated" or approved by SCCA in its entirety. We allowed the airfoil because it is variable chord across its span; while the inner part is 1/4" inch too wide, the outer sections are well within the spec (6.5", I think?) We also verified that the end plates were within the category's size limit.

This does not allow the wing to be mounted in a non-compliant manner.

Therefore, what is the answer?The answer is you need to either modify your mounts to place the wing in compliance on your car or work with APR to provide brackets for your car in compliance with the regs. Or make new ones. Or purchase someone else's wing...

Sorry, man.

- GA

Matt93SE
01-20-2013, 06:26 PM
A slight clarification here... The APR wing was designed/specified for use in World Challenge TC. Before I bought one a couple summers ago, I had them measure the thing in the shop to find out it was 1/4" too big in the center, but the chord is only 6.5" or so on the sides. Overall it fits within the area spec'd for an 8.5" x 48" wing, so I (and a couple others) wrote letters to clarify its legality in STU.

Mounting brackets and endplates are a different story, but the wing itself is legal.

Regarding the height below the roofline, I thought the rule was the high point of the wing- not the endplates- was the measurement point ???

Greg Amy
01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Regarding the height below the roofline, I thought the rule was the high point of the wing- not the endplates- was the measurement point ???

"The entire rear wing assembly, including the end plates and any wicker, shall be mounted a minimum of 6.0 inches below the peak of the roof."

-GA

Matt93SE
01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I stand corrected/clarified. Thx. Been a few weeks since I read the rules there.