PDA

View Full Version : New Road Course in CT - 2014 - Thompson

robits325is
01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
http://www.racedayct.com/2013/01/plans-for-2014-opening-of-new-road-course-at-thompson-international-speedway-emerging/

http://www.improvedtouring.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=500

mossaidis
01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
looks roughly like 2.25 miles...

Matt93SE
01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Looks like a fun track. Glad to see another one being built, no matter where it is..

BruceG
01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Most of you are too young to remember that the old Thompson road course was one of the big 5 in the 60's/early 70's......along with LRP,Bryar Motorsport Park(NHMS, now but only a great RR track then), Bridgehampton and WG.

It will be great to have another track in CT. Now this new course,LRP and NHMS will be just 2 hrs from my house in So VT.:026:

PS: should say that Bryar was at a different location in Loudon than NHMS.

StephenB
01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Bryar was at the same location as NHMS. Turn 5 is the old turn 5 but then enters down into turn 6 backwards. after NHMS was built pavement from bryars turn 4 still existed outside turn 9 (just before turn 3 of the oval) not much else left from the old track though.

Stephen

JLawton
01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
And unlike a lot of other "start-ups" in the country, I think this one will actually come to fruition. I'm sure like LRP, it's close enough to get all the NYC guys/clubs so I have no doubt they'll have a full schedule. Do you think LRP management will get the drift and start making the costs a little more reasonable? ;)

Some good points of discussion:

- Will it dilute our already slim worker pool?
- Will it dilute the entries for the other tracks/events?

gizmo83
01-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Where in CT is this?

Dano77
01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Location, Approx half hour to 45 minutes south of Worcester off 395. Its a straight shot south from exit 10, Auburn exit off Mass Pike.

Dilute the worker pool, Not as bad as I would think. Its closer to CT,NY so they may actually drive to it, same with entries.

Its the home of the FIRST Closed/race track in SCCA. Was part of the first SCCA National Racing Program. There is Massive history associated with thisplace, Penske, Fitch, Cunningham, Donahue, Pete Morrison, all the greats have raced there. Skip Barbers First race school of any kind was done there, course was written on a napkin in the bar the nite before.

StephF
01-03-2013, 09:15 PM
And unlike a lot of other "start-ups" in the country, I think this one will actually come to fruition. I'm sure like LRP, it's close enough to get all the NYC guys/clubs so I have no doubt they'll have a full schedule. Do you think LRP management will get the drift and start making the costs a little more reasonable? ;)

Some good points of discussion:

- Will it dilute our already slim worker pool?
- Will it dilute the entries for the other tracks/events?

A long as Skip owns LRP, you will NEVER see "more reasonable costs." We want them more than they want us. SCCA (club racing) and its ilk are nothing but the squashed bug on Skip's windshield: annoying and somewhat unavoidable.

raffaelli
01-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Where in CT is this?

Hi denise,

Is it on the other side of Ct in the northeast corner near where 84 crosses into MA

gran racing
01-04-2013, 08:54 AM
There's this really cool Mapquest thing on the net Chris. :D <ducks>

team-gpracing
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Jeez Steph! Don't like Skip much do ya?! :D

I am equidistant between it and NHMS! Color me excited.....albeit a bit skeptical. I'm just saying that tracks have been dangled for so long in N.E. I am a bit jaded.

After reading the article, is there any chance that we could have an event this year? Looks like they plan on opening before the end of the season.

1stgen
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
A long as Skip owns LRP, you will NEVER see "more reasonable costs." We want them more than they want us. SCCA (club racing) and its ilk are nothing but the squashed bug on Skip's windshield: annoying and somewhat unavoidable.

I think your just a mean person.....
He's been very good to the mohud program over the years, and has been more helpful than some may realize.

Dano77
01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please tell me thats sarcastic,

BruceG
01-04-2013, 02:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please tell me thats sarcastic,

All it takes is one trip to the mens(can't vouch for the ladies) restroom in the A paddock at LRP to see that "image" isn't high on his list.......LOL.:dead_horse:

Ed Funk
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
1stGen, she worked at LRP early '80's to early '00. From maintenance to security to management. She was the major events manager for the last couple years she was there. I don't think she's mean,and I'm married to her! :). She worked with and for Skip during the time that he became sole owner and witnessed some really hair brained ideas originate with the man. If he could get anyone else to pay $1 more than we do, we'd be gone....in a heartbeat! He has no loyalty to the SCCA but loves to use and or abuse our workers...ask those in attendance at the Vintage weekend. If you really feel that he helped out MoHud, I'm just wondering what flavor the coolaid was that day.

StephF
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
I think your just a mean person.....
He's been very good to the mohud program over the years, and has been more helpful than some may realize.

No. He's right. I am mean. :rolleyes:

I also know what I am talking about. I am very glad he was good to Mohud. If someone else wants your date and pays more $$$, please be sure to wear padded underwear so the slamming door doesn't bruise your perineum.

Oh, here: I helped you with this one. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=perineum

1stgen
01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
What I find funny is that you all lack a sense of humor....in fact some of you act worse than the people on the vortex or any other fanboi car site there is. Intelligent conversation would be appropriate but apparently some of us are just big children.

Ed Funk
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Not at all! You should have seen her laughing as she composed her last post!

1stgen
01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I propose full thunderdome action at pocono then.......we can call it the rumble in the pines....

Greg Amy
01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Oh, here: I helped you with this one. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=perineum
Huh. Explains why I was putting that stuff on incorrectly...felt right, though...

Unlike you folks, I'm not that excited about this "track". Lots of constant turns, no long straights? Just looking at the scale of the drawing, with the oval at 5/8-mile; quick estimate puts the track distance at around 1.5 miles... I suspect it's going to be a tight little go-kart track that only something starting with "Miata" will be competitive at; FWD will be the suck. Think Lime Rock Park with the whole track being nothing more than three iterations of T2 through the Esses and not a whole lotta anything else...keep that in mind, all you "we don't want to run the chicanes at LRP!" crowd. Not a very large paddock, either, I suspect 125 entries will get shuffled into the oval, skidpad, and lawn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more options, but with "new" tracks popping up over the last couple decades such as the revised Watkins Glen, Virginia Int'l Raceway, NJMP, Barber, and so forth, the bar for "good" tracks has been significantly raised; it's going to take a lot more than nostalgia to make this a fun and desirable place to race. Hope I'm off base.

Should be a fun HPDE, autocross, and Solo 1 track, though.

GA

Andy Bettencourt
01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
It will all be about the flow and elevation changes. If it works, 1.5-1.8 miles would be ok. If it doesn't flow, it won't be much fun regardless of what you drive.

PS: FWD is always the suck.

Greg Amy
01-04-2013, 07:32 PM
^^^ You're a funny guy... ;)

lateapex911
01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
It will all be about the flow and elevation changes. If it works, 1.5-1.8 miles would be ok. If it doesn't flow, it won't be much fun regardless of what you drive.

^^^ You're a funny guy... ;)

Bettencourt speaks the troof!

1stgen
01-04-2013, 10:12 PM
You guys have seen the New York safety track? It's in davenport ny...track is there facilities are not yet.

StephenB
01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think that track ever have plans on doing a racing. :(

1stgen
01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't think that track ever have plans on doing a racing. :(

Idk...there is a lot of talk of them trying to comply with scca safety rules...runoff, tire-walls, etc. I'm kind of hoping they get it together its only 45 minutes from my house. People are definitely testing there and they run motorcycles safely so there is plenty of runoff. Lol

PDoane
01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
"Bryar Motorsport Park(NHMS, now but only a great RR track then)"

Bryar had both a 5/8 mile and 1/3 mile oval track. They also ran the road course both CW and CCW

StephenB
07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
FYI, nice website and progress is being made!! I think they plan on updates on the site every week this summer.

http://thompsonspeedway.com/index.php

Stephen

StephenB
07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Looks like it may have more elevation change than I ever thought it had... I don't really remember this track at all even though I know I walked it during an autocross when I was a kid :)

Stephen

philakamrbean
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
If thats where I think it is, I'm going to imagine that was leveled at least a few years ago. Given where the 'current' course would loop back into the woods before shooting out towards the road along the edge of the property, there is a cut through so to speak that goes maybe 100ish feet where the road course exits the oval, makes a 90 degree right, straight for ~200 yards, then another 90 degree right to re-join the course.

That being said, there is still some rolling elevation change, but nothing drastic.

JChimbolo
07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
For those that don't know Thompson, this roadcourse is actually for the most part in place now. It is mostly the last version of that was run into the 80's. So it is a matter of refurbishing what is there.

The owner is also a golf course designer, so at the same location is a very nice 18 hole course. the 5/8 mile banked oval is I believe the first paved NASCAR track. Also on site is a banked quarter midget track.

The place is well run, clean and great food.

There are also plans to possibly add a go-kart sprint course.

So for anyone who thinks racing is for southerners, Connecticut was a founder of Nascar, and for a small state we have LRP, Thompson, Waterford and Stafford. Two road courses and three ovals. We also have the Consumer Reports Automobile Testing Center.

If you like racing, we are your state. But you'll also need to like high taxes, housing costs and negative job growth.

philakamrbean
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
For those that don't know Thompson, this roadcourse is actually for the most part in place now. It is mostly the last version of that was run into the 80's. So it is a matter of refurbishing what is there.

The owner is also a golf course designer, so at the same location is a very nice 18 hole course. the 5/8 mile banked oval is I believe the first paved NASCAR track. Also on site is a banked quarter midget track.

The place is well run, clean and great food.

There are also plans to possibly add a go-kart sprint course.

So for anyone who thinks racing is for southerners, Connecticut was a founder of Nascar, and for a small state we have LRP, Thompson, Waterford and Stafford. Two road courses and three ovals. We also have the Consumer Reports Automobile Testing Center.

If you like racing, we are your state. But you'll also need to like high taxes, housing costs and negative job growth.

Well stated. And for anyone wondering (or not), the consumer reports facility is actually the former Connecticut Dragway, which ran till the mid-70's I think.

Thompson should prove to be a great, well rounded facility. The only slight possibly small drawback is its more or less in the middle of no where (as far as CT goes).

Ascona1973
07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
And for anyone wondering (or not), the consumer reports facility is actually the former Connecticut Dragway, which ran till the mid-70's I think.

I was there as late as 1985, which I think was the last year they ran it as a drag strip.

StephenB
10-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Since we are talking so much about Palmer I figured I would update this thread as well!

Lots of progress with a little resistance right now from some locals but I am hoping those hurdles will be gone soon!

Stephen

Greg Amy
10-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Sounds like it's a tad bit more than a "little"...

Thompson Speedway to be subject of special town meeting

"A $4 million construction plan at the Thompson International Speedway has some residents crying foul about what they see as a flawed approval process. Since June, there have been upgrades made to facilities including the construction of a new entrance, a registration building, a scoring building and a 32-car garage. Plans also call for paving a 1.7-mile road racing track. The project is expected to be complete by June 2014. It will be called the Thompson Speedway Motor Sports Park.

"Resident Nicholas Swearer believes that local and state permit applications should have been filed and approved before construction began in June 2013. He said the construction amounts to an expansion project that will have a significant impact on the environment and the neighboring community."

http://www.remindernews.com/article/2013/09/30/thompson-speedway-to-be-subject-of-special-town-meeting

JLawton
10-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Eh......... sounds like one guy trying to make a big stink............

team-gpracing
10-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Doesn't look like he has much ground to stand on either. they seem to have done everything by the book. That isn't a very current pic either. I believe there is a lot of track surface down at this point.

awegrzyn
10-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Eh......... sounds like one guy trying to make a big stink............

That's how it's done. Eventually they will form a legal group (google TrackRacket) and ask for money. They will have to settle just like NJMP did. Pretty routine in this country.

JS154
10-04-2013, 08:09 PM

http://bdtgfx.com/bmz_cache/c/c6447f1168fbdc1c7b876c2e0a958c72.image.241x250.gif

philakamrbean
10-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Didn't make it to the town meeting. Sounds like it's largely cleared to go.

http://blog.masslive.com/racinwithjason/2013/10/thompson_conn_selectmen_meet_with_residents_about_ thompson_speedway_motorsports_park_construction_co .html

raffaelli
11-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Any update, thoughts from yesterday?

Greg Amy
11-17-2013, 11:50 AM
MANY people attended this NER club racing meeting, largest number EVER. I think our regional race chair has found the formula to improve attendance... ;)

Interesting track. From the exit of Turn One, it's tight. T1 is a tight corner, with increasing radius, and from there it wiggles around left and right, into the oval, and back out of the oval. Decent width, some places four Miatae wide, but the tight turns will require some "cooperation".

However, once you leave the oval things start to straighten out. There's a short left sweeper into a tighter right hander, but from there the track opens up. I predict that most cars will get on the loud pedal out of that righty and just keep it flat all the way down to T1. The right-hander entering the front straight has some serious camber, then the track rises to a crest as it passes by that new paddock area, then starts to head obviously downhill for the remaining length. The "dog leg" on the front straight looks like an easy flat-foot for everyone, so that by the time you hit T1 you've got some serious gumption going on.

I'd suggest given the full acceleration length you have as you round the paddock, that straight is every bit as long - and thus, as fast - into T1 as Summit Point. In fact, I'd characterize the place as a lot like if you combined Summit's front straight going directly into about double the length of its Carousel area, and connecting it directly from T9 to the main straight.

Meet me in T1 for the Miata race, I'll bring the popcorn.

My impression of the track is "very fun to drive, not sure how it's going to race".

It's obvious that they are spending some serious coin to make this happen. Garages look very nice, base asphalt (except for the paddock, which is currently covered in an earth mountain) is mostly laid down, and there's heavy equipment and digging everywhere. The conference area where we met (part of the golf club and will likely cost extra to rent) is very nice, with a bar right off it. The drive there is very easy, just 15 minutes or so off I-395. And it's obvious they're very eager to make this successful.

Our first official event is scheduled for July 12-/13. See you there!

- GA

Z3_GoCar
11-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I saw the pictures and the link from Erik's feed. Looks like a fun track, and it's about time you guys get something closer.

tEH making tGA laugh... priceless:D

dickita15
11-17-2013, 02:02 PM
I have to agree with Greg, I think it will be a nice little club track. Much of it follows the 66-75 course although there have been places where it is “pulled back” to give extra runoff and then an extra loop thru what was the paddock to gain the length back. The main straight will be quick but some of the corners are tight. I do not think it will exact huge penalties for small mistakes. The group I was hanging with guessed it would anywhere from the same lap time to 10 seconds slower than NHMS. There are some long corners.
And of course it is 2.5 hours closer to the civilized world that NH.
All new lap records come July.

Dano77
11-17-2013, 04:42 PM
The uncivilized woodchucks came up with the thought that with the lower HP cars, Miata, RX7,VW Golfs, The straight will actually be a LOT longer than anticipated. Thinking we will be starting the long run at the Right INSIDE the oval. The Chute is banked as well as the diving turn, With the lower initial speed of our cars, those appear to flat out.

5th gear 8500 rpm, so faster then LRP, into turn 3 at NHMS.

Thoughts are the toughest turn will be Clubhouse, due to relatively no banking and the fact it falls away under accel to the bridge.

100 to 125 entries will most likely fit, 200 will be tight on paddock space. Especially when the toter homes show up with the one Miata

Greg Amy
11-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Dan-o, all your base are belong to us.

Nice write-up:

http://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/thompson-speedway-motorsports-park-returns-to-a-road-course/

gran racing
11-18-2013, 08:54 AM
100 to 125 entries will most likely fit, 200 will be tight on paddock space.

I have to imagine the July event will be packed. Think it'll draw upwards of 300 entries? I assume the NER is hosting that event? Good time to start getting creative on how to distribute paddock space.

Have it been determined how many SCCA races will be there next year?

team-gpracing
11-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Good question. I wonder if NNJR will come up this far to host. The October event is shared with MoHud, so we know they aren't hosting their own.

I assume we're going to have to limit entries to the first event. If turnout is anything like the meeting, we may have too many cars.

The section following the oval and leading to turn 1 looks like it's going to be a blast to drive. Turn one is definitely going to be hairy and the drive under the bridge looks to be pretty fun as well (I assume).

I climbed up to the top of the mesa in the back section of the track and boy is it nice up there. You can see essentially the entire track from up there. It's going to be a pretty hot spot for viewing.

StephenB
11-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I am very sad I couldn't attend. Thanks for all the pictures and posts about the day. One thing that hasn't been spoken about is the curfew... any talk about that? Looks like a lot of new lights are being installed...

team-gpracing
11-19-2013, 10:32 AM
There are plenty of lights to run at night, and aside from the CT state law that says no-one can race before noon on Sunday, they say we can race as late as we want on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Here's to glowing rotors and fiery exhaust!

StephenB
11-19-2013, 10:56 AM
No "Racing" what about "practice"?

ner88
11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
It's "no race engines" before noon on Sunday.
What we can do is still being discussed.

Track belongs to NER, meaning any SCCA event must be approved by us!

300 is too many cars! We should be good up to 350 :D

StephenB
11-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Not sure if your looking for ideas but here are two. (Again sorry I couldn't attend)

1) FREE worker autocross. Street cars only, workers only. If attendance is low then charge for other street cars with $$ going towards worker fund.

2) kinda stolen from NC region. Have a breakfast instead of Saturday night beer party and race later Saturday night. Charge $10 per ticket to non workers and the money goes towards worker fund.

On another note. It would be cool to have a Thompson endurance series on Saturday night. Make it a 3 or 4hr race into the dark and let them advertise and sell tickets... free advertising for SCCA NER, you never know we could get some new members out of it!

StephF
11-20-2013, 12:09 PM

300 is too many cars! We should be good up to 350 :D

?? Can you elaborate on the sentence I bolded? This is the first I heard of NER "owning" Thompson? Did I miss something?

Greg Amy
11-20-2013, 12:20 PM
?? Can you elaborate on the sentence I bolded? This is the first I heard of NER "owning" Thompson? Did I miss something?
As I understand it, all regions "own" or "control" intra-SCCA access to tracks geographically within their region. In other words, since Thompson exists geographically within NER, then any other SCCA region that wishes to hold an event there must coordinate with/get approval from the 'controlling' region. This, of course, does not affect any other org (NASA, PCA, etc) that wants to negotiate with the track for events.

Starting next year, NER will be the only region in the country with four tracks (LRP, NHMS, TSMP, Palmer).

- GA

Dano77
11-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Like Greg said, NER owns the rights to race at all tracks in our geographic boundaries. Other regions need to Ask Permission from NER to hold races at these tracks.

Its in the GCR or Operations manual

Ed Funk
11-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Wait, what?!? You been readin' the GCR? Been hangin' around that Amy guy too much!

slopok
11-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Now that sounds funny

Dano77
11-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Wait, what?!? You been readin' the GCR? Been hangin' around that Amy guy too much!

Just cause I don't always follow the rules, doesn't mean I don't know the rules.:smilie_pokal:

webhound
11-21-2013, 10:58 AM
On another note. It would be cool to have a Thompson endurance series on Saturday night. Make it a 3 or 4hr race into the dark and let them advertise and sell tickets... free advertising for SCCA NER, you never know we could get some new members out of it!

:smilie_pokal:

Yessss, pleeeeez!!

But really, the entry needs to be lower than the $600 Glen 4 hour entry. At the ARRC me and a codriver spent just a little more than that total to run an ARRC, a ProIT AND the 2.5 hour ECR. I know it's a different track and region of the country, but I'd do a $400 enduro at Thompson, even a 2.5 hour, especially if I could get a little double dipper break for doing a regional too.

Will

gran racing
11-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Has NER SCCA determined what other dates in addition to the opening the Club will be at Thompson?

Greg Amy
11-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Has NER SCCA determined what other dates in addition to the opening the Club will be at Thompson?
All your base are belong to us, too...? Many, some of you guys need to write cogent sentences...

What I *think* you're asking...NER is having three events there: one pre-opening check-out day, that Jerry and JB discussed at the Club Racing Board meeting, the July event, and the October event. NASA has announced races in June and August. - GA

Edit: JB Swann is now NER club Racing Chairman. Might want to begin being nice to him...and he doesn't drink, so he's not as easy a pushover...

MKB
11-22-2013, 05:19 PM
BUT JBs friends -do- drink and might be able to sway opinions........just as they say...sayin!!!

MKB
I drive a crap can that has a class IT7

Ed Funk
11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Doesn't drink?!? Must be boring!

Greg Amy
11-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Doesn't drink?!? Must be boring!
Hardly. Buccella can attest that JB is usually the most entertaining of the compound well into the night...well, before he gets tired and crashes, anyway... - GA

Ed Funk
11-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Well, I don't drink, and I'm boring....guess I shouldn't make assumptions.

gran racing
11-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Please tell me I don't need to pretend to like the sound of an IT7 exhaust especially in the morning.

Ed Funk
11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
^^^^ Just drink a lot the night before....Rx7's sound just like I remember severe hangovers.

MKB
11-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Greg Amy........"The Compound" perfect!

Dano77
11-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Rotarys sound great in the morning, Here let me show you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlY8Lve60g

Dan 77 IT7
My Crapcan Has Class

Flyinglizard
11-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I have been racing with mufflers on 2 of my cars. It's really nice .
92DB limit lets us race more often at night and helps maintain a "we care about the neighbors" perception.