PDA

View Full Version : Seat Question/Concern

Simon T.
01-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone, happy 2013.

My RX-7 has a Kirkey seat in it that was in it when purchased. I've used a few other Kirkeys before in track cars and really like them, but this one does not have as much "rib" support as the others did.

Upon further inspection, I'm worried that the seat is a drag race seat due to the low sides. My plan had been to buy head and shoulder supports and move the seat a little lower and add a little lay back to it, but looking at Kirkey related material I started to think it's probably a drag seat and am double thinking all of that now.

So I have two questions really. If it is indeed a drag seat, is it safe for road racing with those attachments? It's in an IT7 car, so low HP/fairly lightweight but I hate to say "it's slow so safety isn't as important." That's simply not true.

If it's NOT safe, I'm looking at two alternatives. First is the Kirkey road race intermediate seat and the second is a "generic" FPR seat. I like Kirkey because they're able to be modified and with a seat back brace required for non-FIA seats I have just always THOUGHT that an aluminum seat may react better in a crash than a fiberglass seat attached to the cage.

I've heard horror stories of aluminum seats before though just as I've heard stories of fiberglass/plastic seats cracking and what not. The craftsmanship on the Kirkey road race seat looks top notch though and solid for my platform, but I'd like some second opinions as well. :023:

Thanks!

-Simon

dickita15
01-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Actually you should do some research on the Kirkey seats. The ones with the tight rib supports are usually circle track seats. I think those do more harm than good in a shunt. The road race seats I have seen have good support at the hips and the shoulders.

Simon T.
01-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Yeah I read many people saying those rib protectors weren't that great. This has pretty much no rib protection, it looks very similar to this seat:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Kirkey/570/41700/10002/-1

Here's my seat, but the cover is wrong so it LOOKS like it has some rib support but the actual seat isn't sticking out in those wing flaps all the way:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7990243753_ce402a05d7_z.jpg

Simon T.
01-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Now I've found some other track day/racers that use the drag seat because of the less "rib" protection. Looking at the thickness and design between the Drag and Intermediate seats with the larger wings, they don't seem too different.

JeffYoung
01-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Should be a number on it somewhere. Call Kirkey and ask them what you have.

Matt93SE
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Pull the cover off and the number will be on a sticker or engraved in the shoulder area.

Simon T.
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah it faded off quite a bit I can't really make it out, Kirkey told me to send them a photo of it so I'll see what they say.

Simon T.
01-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Ha. I did find a readable sticker on it now.

Looks like it's a 20 degree Economy, looking closer at it, it appears as though someone cut down the rib protectors some, which would explain why the cover doesn't fit the wings there (I just thought it was the wrong cover).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8501/8338583628_10dd94cdd0_b.jpg

Still awaiting Kirkey's thoughts on adding anything to it though.

Dano77
01-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Dont add anything to that seat. Get the Road Race one.

After beating myself up in an Economy seat for years and buying a car with the road race seat. I wont go back.

And at 6' 7" a road race seat mounted to the floor and cage is far enough back for me to fit. Tried an FIA Hans seat this fall and cant get low enough in the chassis to clear the roof,main hoop, shut the door, put up the net. Its a small akward interior in a seven.

Dan 77 IT7

Simon T.
01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah I have decided that I'm ditching it for another seat. I'm considering the Kirkey road race containment seat and the Kirkey Intermediate road race. I've also looked at a few fiberglass/plastic type seats but am unsure on the whole seat back brace size of them.

DavidM
01-02-2013, 05:21 PM
I have a 58 series Kirkey seat. I find the seat comfortable and it holds me very well. I like the rib supports, but I had my seat custom built so the supports are in the right places. I have it mounted to a custom frame that attaches to the cage and basically sits right against the floor like Dan. I'm 6'5" and need all the head room I can get.

David

Joe Camilleri
01-02-2013, 06:51 PM
I have a circle track seat that I cut down the sides on, but not as much as yours
. My elbow kept hitting it when shifting.

Simon T.
01-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Dont add anything to that seat. Get the Road Race one.

After beating myself up in an Economy seat for years and buying a car with the road race seat. I wont go back.

And at 6' 7" a road race seat mounted to the floor and cage is far enough back for me to fit. Tried an FIA Hans seat this fall and cant get low enough in the chassis to clear the roof,main hoop, shut the door, put up the net. Its a small akward interior in a seven.

Dan 77 IT7

Do you have the Intermediate road race?

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Series47#nogo

I'm leaning towards that but for not much more you can have the road race containment, but biggest concern there is getting in and out of the car and having room to do so at a decent pace. lol

benspeed
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Simon I'd go with a Kirkey road race seat. Designed for sports car road racing and built great you can't go wrong. Also allows for easier exit through the window if the door gets pinched shut. Ive had several cars with the Kirkey road racer in them. When I considered the shoulder and head supports I wouldn't be able to exit the window so Ive stayed with the seat as is.

Cheers!

Simon T.
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
I ordered one yesterday. :) Looking forward to using it. :023:

benspeed
01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Cool! Way to pull the trigger