PDA

View Full Version : Best 100 tire

AE86ITA
12-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Hello everyone:
Curious to know what would be the best competition (205/50-15) tire over 100 treadwear, to my knowledge these are the ones available if others please include them:

Nito NT-01 100TW
Toyo RA1 100TW
Toyo R888 100TW
Hankook Z211 100TW
Hankook RS3 140TW
Federal 595RS-R 140TW
Kuhmo Ecsta XS 180TW

webhound
12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Dunlop Direzza Z1 200TW
Falken Azenis RT-615K 200TW
Toyo Proxes R1R 140TW

*Note, the Direzza is in the process of getting replaced with their new generation, not sure about sizes, TW, or performance.

I've driven recently on track on the Dunlops, the Falkens and the Ecsta XS, the 'lops and Falkens under endurance race conditions, the XS in HPDE. I've also driven on the NT-01 in autox and track days.

By testing reports and online accounts, the Toyo is probably the best for sprint race in cooler conditions. The Dunlops are very stunning in their long-term performance, consistency and durability. There are many ChumpCar teams that have run the Dunlops in more than one 12 hour race with great consistency and results. I drove on the Dunlops in fairly cool conditions this past spring in a Lemons race, the car was the same in terms of grip in hour 2 as it was in hour 9.

The Falken Azenis 615K is the new Azenis generation with a new tread compound. I drove the old generation at a few track days, it did have the propensity to grease up after a couple hard laps, you'd have to cool it substantially before getting back after it. We just drove a 14 hour ChumpCar race at Road Atlanta in my ITC Civic on the 615Ks, it was an overcast 70*F max. We found them to be very consistent, didn't grease up substantially during hot laps or getting through traffic, and again, THEY WORE LIKE IRON! I suffered a little chunking on one of the rear tires, which I have to look after in the rtab or alignment, but even the fronts look very good in terms of remaining tread depth. I think we probably have at least another 12 good hours left in them.

In my opinion, the XS are very similar to the new Falken 615K: consistent, wear exceptionally well.

The Dunlop seems to be the best all around tire of the 180+TW group.

Something like the NT-01 will give you a higher grip envelope, for sure. But, you will give up quite a bit of tire wear in trade for that grip.

erlrich
12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
If you want a true competition tire, the first 3 (Nitto, RA-1 & R888) are the only options you should be looking at. The Z211 hasn't been made in how long? The others are track day tires. As for those 3, I've only ever raced on RA-1s, but from what I've read there isn't a huge difference in performance. If there is any chance you'll be running in the rain, I would go with the RA-1 with a little tread left (or better yet, have a second set of full treads available). FWIW, I did my driver's school on a set of full-tread RA-1s, so they can be raced that way, but certainly are faster when shaved.

AE86ITA
12-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Has anyone seen or raced with the Maxxis Victra RC-1??

100TW
Traction AA
Temp A
6/32"

Flyinglizard
12-19-2012, 11:29 PM
The R1 are fast and work well until cords.
The Nitto should be good, But I have never tried them.
The XS are good as the 615s or Stars. I like the Dunlop Stars and run them for Chump. I have never tried the Maxxis as they did not come in the 15 in when we bought a pile of tires.
I quit running the Falkens 615s as they got greasy and scared some of my drivers.

AE86ITA
12-20-2012, 10:27 AM
In regards to the 615K, any experience on hot temperatures (i.e. 95*F+ weather)??

Thanks,

1stgen
12-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Is this for endurance racing or because of cost? Because all of those above tires are hard as a rock and will be of little use except In the rain. The r888 and ra-1 are your best of the "worst" choices you have there. I use r888 as a spare rain tire.

ShelbyRacer
12-20-2012, 04:32 PM
I own a set of the R1Rs. Very good dry grip, amazing wet grip for a "street" tire.

If I were running any of the above dry for more than a few laps, I'd shave them. WAY down.

Flyinglizard
12-21-2012, 10:11 AM
All of my exp is in FL. over 80*.
Depending on what rules you are using;
If 140 TW is the rule , one of those will be the fastest;

The 615s that we ran were early versions. but the company and the tires were not so good hot.
The Dunlop Stars are much better and pretty fast / The R 1 are faster.
The 888s are fast for a few laps but grease up and dont come back.

I dont like the 615s. The teams that I help in the DR have run the 615s and the Kumho XS. The XS are much better.

Not 615s unless they give them to you. as they did us.
They would stick fine , and all of a sudden grease up and big slide, inconsistent .
I dont have any 140 TW data as the Chump races are 190. If we could run 180 I would have Kumho XS

I would go with R 1 for speed
XS/ price, speed - life,
Dunlop Star , price- speed- life(

EH9racing
12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
One tire I have not seen mentioned here yet is the Yokohama ADVAN AD08. I have driven this tire at Sebring in the Summer and Roebling both summer and fall. The tire reacts and communicates very much like a V710. (I have driven a RA-1, R888, and V710). The tire is very sticky. Its a 180 AA A. and the Price isnt terrible at $133 each.

Robbie
12-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Don't bother with any street tires and go for NT01s or RA1's and all the others are a step below. R888's are junk.