PDA

View Full Version : Fan belt for 1.4L Datsun

John Payne
12-13-2012, 04:48 PM
I am converting an ITC Datsun to vintage. I have a stock engine. Can anyone tell me what size fan belt I need. I have taken the alterntor out of the system.

Thank you

Hammer
12-13-2012, 06:50 PM
What is the year and model of the Datsun

John Payne
12-14-2012, 09:41 AM
It is a 1976 Datsun B210 with the 1.4 L engine. It is basically stock.

Thanks,

dave parker
12-14-2012, 11:45 AM
John
There are two things that you need to know when sizing V belts.
1. the width and cut of the "V".
2. the length.

The width and cut of the "V" should be easy if you are continuing to use the stock pulleys it would stay the same as the stock alternator belt. In this case it is 15/32 with a 36 degree "V".
In the Gates line you would want a 7 series width.
In the Dayco line you would want a 15 series width.

Now here it gets a little harder. But it is doable.
Take some string and loop it around the pulleys you want the belt to go around. Mark the string at the length you need to bring the two string ends together. Lay the string on a flat surface and measure it. Take the measurement you get to the nearest quarter inch (Example the measurement is 28 inches). Obviously you will need to measure for your application and go with your specific measurement.

Go to your local parts store.

Based on the example size given above:
If they carry the Gates line you would a 7280 belt. The first number is the "V" measurement and the last three numbers would be the length in inches.

If they carry the Dayco line you would need a 15280 belt. The first two numbers is the "V" measurement, and the last three would be the length in inches.

This process should get you very close. If you are concerned about fit I would buy one size bigger and one size smaller than what you measured to get the exact right one.

Should not be too hard of a process to figure out.

cheers
dave parker

ShelbyRacer
12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
You're not running that in IT without an alternator, are you?

jumbojimbo
12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
You're not running that in IT without an alternator, are you?

Converting TO vintage and has removed the alternator.

John Payne
12-16-2012, 11:20 AM
No, I have moved away from SCCA after 35 years. This is simply low -bucks racing. Retirement does not include high tech development!

John Payne
12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Dave, thanks for the help. I was hoping that someone had actually gone through this project and had the right answer! Always hopeful. I will end up applying your process. As always, good to hear from you and I appreciate your response.

Am going to miss the MARRS crowd but we will be retiring to Knoxville sometime next year so I need to develop a new "tour".

Regards,
John

Hammer
12-18-2012, 04:40 PM
My Parts Dept told me the part number for the non a/c fan belt is #11720-77702TM and it is available. The price is $11.20 plus shipping. If you want to order the part you can PM me and we can get it arranged.