PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Engine Storage

backformore
11-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I did a quick search but found no results.

No surprise, the Civic build is going slower than hoped. As such, the engine is going to sit inactive for longer than I expected. What should be done in preparation for sitting and not being run for say a year?

The engine is currently in the car but will probably come out in the near future. The car is pretty well gutted but I should be able to put enough parts back in it to allow me to run the engine one more time if that is part of the procedure.

Don't know if it matters but it is a 2000 Civic Si.

Thanks,
Rory

joeg
11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Unless you plan on storing it in a swamp, don't worry about it.

It will be fine as long as it is not exposed to cold moisture over a prolonged period of time (like years).

Cheers.

backformore
11-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Good news. Thanks.

Matt93SE
11-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Cliff's Notes is to squirt a teaspoon of oil or ATF into each cylinder and turn the engine over a few times with no spark plugs. coat the cylinder walls in oil, then put the plugs back in and seal off the intake and exhaust as well as you can. foil tape or racquetball in the exhaust is plenty.

dump some fuel system treatment into the fuel so it doesn't go bad, and try to run it through long enough that the injectors get a decent treatment of stabilizer.

and close any fuel tank vents!

The big issue in storing an engine long term is internal corrosion and fuel injector/fuel pump clogging if/when the fuel goes bad.

bamfp
11-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I would also rotate the engine ever once in awhile so the valve springs are not in the same position all the time.

backformore
11-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Good advice. Thanks.

cjb25hs
11-11-2012, 10:32 AM
How about an its rx7 stored in a non heated garage just south of charlotte. Car currently just has water and water wetter in it. Garage may reach sub 32 temperature say 20-30 nights over the winter

Drain say half out and add some 50/50 and run it up to temp and tuck it away?

lawtonglenn
11-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Drain say half out and add some 50/50 and run it up to temp and tuck it away?

Drain say half out and add some full strength and run it up to temp and tuck it away is my vote (that's what we do)

Flyinglizard
11-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Make the last tank of fuel,100LL AV gas. Add enough so that the top of the tank is covered, but not all the way up the filler neck. 100LL Stores very well and wont stick the pumps and injectors. (any steel tank or steel fuel line car, should use non Ethanol fuel.)
If the cam is large, back off the rockers or cam, lube the cyl per above ATF or dino(non syn) oil.

Per mazda, fog the engine, add Anti freeze. Drain a gallon add a gallon.
Better, send the car to FL. and race all year. :)