PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

timo944
11-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I am prepping the Z-car for winter storage. I have drained the water from the radiator and the block, and am wondering if it's better to leave the system empty or fill it with a 1/2 - 1/2 mixture of coolant and water. One thing I have noticed is that despite using water conditioners I have been seeing rust develop on the iron parts (water pump impeller for example). and the water I have drained us pretty red. I don't know if being immersed in coolant over winter would help this, or make things worse...??

The arguement against filling the car with coolant is partly enviromental and the PITA factor.... not that it compares to the countless other hours spent in the pursuit of last place.

What would you do? This car will be stored outdoors in the WNC - sustained winter temps as low as 10 degrees.

ITC Racer
11-04-2012, 10:02 PM
I would fill the cooling system with an antifreeze/water solution to keep the internal bits from rusting over the winter. I would reuse the winter mix a few times in the race car to avoid having to dispose of it.

mbuskuhl
11-04-2012, 10:44 PM
I put antifreeze in over the winter when mine used to be stored in a shop with no heater. No I have a shop with a heater which is a lot more convenient.

Gregf
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I always use antifreeze to store here in the NW... Not as severe for temps but much wetter. Dont forget to flush and bleed the brakes to remove any traces of moisture and I also change the engine oil to eliminate water and the various acids and such that build up inside a race engine. Greg F.

Bob Roth
11-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Antifeeze mix, not dry O2 exposure hurts everything.

timo944
11-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks all!