PDA

View Full Version : Temporary storage structures?

prodogdriver
10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_15217.jpgI'm trying to decide on winter storage for my new track car. Anyone use these 'Garage in a Box' things. I wonder if it will hold up to northern winters. specifically snow.

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/portable-garages/13-ft-x-20-ft-garage-in-a-box-for-suvtruck-68771.html

Matt Rowe
10-31-2012, 06:19 PM
I just bought one for some extra storage space while the garage financing is being worked into the race budget. I can't yet say how it will hold up to a new england winter but it survived 40-50 mph winds from Sandy.

BruceG
10-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I just bought one for some extra storage space while the garage financing is being worked into the race budget. I can't yet say how it will hold up to a new england winter but it survived 40-50 mph winds from Sandy.

Those don't work worth a damn in southern VT. I have seen them crushed in a heavy snowstorm!!

cbuczesk
11-01-2012, 07:02 AM
My brother lives in the mountains of Central PA and has had one for at least 5 years. He stores a car and some parts inside. It's held up well through all the snow, rain, wind, etc. They get a lot of snow up there too!

Chuck

callard
11-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I had one that has worked fine for 12 years behind my garage. Gave it to my neighbor last year to store his tractor and it just survived Sandy. It also survived the mega-snowstorms last year in DC. Good product, anchor it well.
Chuck

RSTPerformance
11-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I bought a 20'x18' "barn style" one with a 9' door to fit the tire rack on the open trailer. I put the old Audi on the trailer and back the entire thing into the shelter for the winter here in NH. It was $600 or so direct from Shelter Logic, it wasn't the cheapy from Harbor Frieght. I also got a cheap tarp that I put on the floor and up the sides. It is perfectly dry year round and has stood up very well. In the last storm (Sandy) we lost a huge limb and it hit the roof bent one pipe put a small 3"'hole it the canvas and slid down the side. No real damage and no issues with the wind. 2nd winter coming up now!

Raymond

titanium
11-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Be sure to check your local city and county codes.
Many have rules in place defining what is a 'temporary' structure.