PDA

View Full Version : SSC 2000 Civic Si to ITS?

RDG
10-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I returned to racing in 2012 after 32 years. I purchased a great "trainer" for drivers schools and my first regional events - an SSC 2000 Civic Si. With the showroom stock class being eliminated, I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense to prepare the car for ITS. And, if I do, I'm trying to figure out where to start with the modifications.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Rick

mossaidis
10-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Great to have you!!!

strip out the interior (except the dash), make sure you have good brake pads, change the fluids, install Koni/Ground Control suspension, light wheels, good race tires, sway bars, then full exhaust, intake, and the list goes on...

Knestis
10-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Download and read the IT rules in the SCCA GCR. Start with the list above but don't take anything out or put any new part on until you know with confidence which rule allows it. Have fun! The Si may not arguably be the perfect ITS car but it should be great for the stated purpose.

K

JeffYoung
10-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Doesn't Kai Noeske have one of these in ITS?

spawpoet
10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
We have some guys running a 99' locally, and they are competitive with it. Even when we have 15 car ITS fields they tend to qualify in the top 5, and they win their share of races. I know they have spent a lot of time developing it, and it seems to make pretty good power. Also it seems to be reliable. While it proabably wouldn't be counted among the top cars to have in ITS, if your build is decent and you drive fairly well, you should be able to run in the top third of any ITS field with it. Sounds pretty good too if you like that high pitched stuff.

JLawton
10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Have they been classed in T3? If not, I would put the request in. it may be an easier build then ITS. You can then always build it to ITS after that, but almost impossible to go from IT to Touring

Chip42
10-30-2012, 09:40 AM
we used to run one in CFR, there's still another here. the TrackSpeed car wound up in Atlanta after spending time with another owner in FL.

great cars, they CAN make weight without too much work, and the motors really don't require a lot of care and feeding once built. OEM will last you but oil pumps are known break at sustained high revs so balancing everything is required practice. lots of good parts out there, really a good choice for the class, though a tad underpowered (well, under torqued) compared to some of the other cars in class.

start collecting rear lower control arms. same parts as on the EX etc... and they don't like curbs.

ner88
10-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I would think its a T4 car but what do I know?

Kai Noeske
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Doesn't Kai Noeske have one of these in ITS?

Yes, I do. I am only starting to build it; it was Sam & Susan Ryan's old SSC car that I bought off them. Just did/had done some ITS mods (thanks Matt Kessler and AJ Nealey).

Car currently has:

- full exhaust (from previous owner), Hytech-like ebay header (me)
- comptech adjustable rear sway (currently stock setting)
- used springs (800#F,1000#R, per recommendation from others who run the car in Honda Challenge and from Koni)
- Koni 8041RACE shocks
- K&N full cold air kit (draws from fender)
- fuel pressure regulator and a dyno tune
- stock engine, stock ECU and stock rev limiter settings
- Gear LSD, stock Honda from a type-R (relatively soft)
- stock final drive (4.3?)

Interior is mostly stripped. Car weighs 2600# post-race with me (210lbs) inside. Some interior, the windows w/ power regulators, and the tar-like sound damping stuff are still in. Min weight is 2430, I hope to get another 100 out of the car.

Car made 160+ whp at Kessler's dyno before the intake, ie I assume 165+ whp / 190+ crank hp now. Still has power left to be made, easiest next step would be Hondata ECU - the engine has high rpm power left.

On first full weekend out at Summit, on old tires, ran a 1:29.3; that was 3 sec off the leading ITS pace that day; at least several 1/10s left in the driver, some more in new tires, in getting the suspension settings sorted better (only started), and some more time in removing 100lbs, and possibly some engine work (ECU). Car may not be the winning ticket, but will be able to run in the middle or towards the front of the pack with some more development.

Surprisingly, on the long front straight, several of the mid-pack ITS cars (Datsun Zs, 3 series Bimmers) did not pull away from me. The short gear ratios (same as Type-R) help keeping the engine in VTEC at all times.

In a rain qual race, being one of the few FWD cars, and one of the few on rain tires, the car drove circles around most others.

So far, so good. Car does what it was supposed to do - get me out in a class where I have a healthy number of experienced drivers in a variety of cars to race, and it's fun to drive and feels quick!

Would be great to be in touch if you decide to go forward!

RDG
10-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all the info. and advice
Hope to see you at the track!
Rick

JLawton
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I would think its a T4 car but what do I know?

T4 is for the new Spec B cars. There is supposed to be a re-shuffle of T2 and T3 cars up into T1 and T2 and weights adjusted on the remaining T3 cars to bring in the SSB and SSC cars into a level <ho, ho> playing field......last I heard a few months ago.

ner88
10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
T4 is for the new Spec B cars. There is supposed to be a re-shuffle of T2 and T3 cars up into T1 and T2 and weights adjusted on the remaining T3 cars to bring in the SSB and SSC cars into a level <ho, ho> playing field......last I heard a few months ago.
Oh, No!
You gotta catch up!
T3 is now v6 mustangs and 350&370Zs
T4 got most all the SSB&C cars
Bspec is Bspec!

ner88
10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
And the 99' Miata is legal for T4 :-)

Greg Amy
10-31-2012, 12:34 PM
And the 99' Miata is legal for T4 :-)
Only? I heard the CRB was asking to also make it eligible in Formula Vee...or Formula F. Or both, can't remember.

JoshS
10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
only? I heard the crb was asking to also make it eligible in formula vee...or formula f. Or both, can't remember.

:023:

ner88
10-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Only? I heard the CRB was asking to also make it eligible in Formula Vee...or Formula F. Or both, can't remember.
Really!:026:

RDG
11-04-2012, 08:13 AM
FYI - (your insights are greatly appreciated)
Regarding the placement of the 99-00 Honda Civic Si in the proposed changes for 2013 (Fastrack, May 2012)...
It's in T-3 - weight "TBA"
Here are the additional notes:
Any non-adjustable shock absorber is
allowed. The shock must be installed in
the original mounting locations. Remote
shocks are not permitted. Threaded
shock bodies or adjusters may be used.
- Any spring up to a maximum spring
rate of 500 pounds may be used - Cold
Air Intake system (pictures and/or parts
have to be sent to Topeka for approval)
OEM Factory Limited Slip (member
to supply part number to Topeka for
approval) - OEM bump stops

ShelbyRacer
11-04-2012, 10:49 AM
IMHO (and I'll probably hear some argument with this)- ITS is the better long term build. At the age of that platform, I'm not sure how long you'll see it in Touring. Also, ITS fields will probably be more robust, and at this point, the IT ruleset is much more solidified than Touring. Building that car for ITS, if you can make weight, should be a real solid performer. Even on a mild build, you should have guys to race with, and the better you get the car and driver, the further up through the field you'll be able to go.

I'd start with suspension and wheels/tires as suggested above, and go from there.

Kai- I didn't realize that was Sam's old car. That's why it looked familiar.