PDA

View Full Version : SCCA drops regional/national distinction (sort of)

JoshS
10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51181

RSTPerformance
10-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Interesting.... Probably a good move but I am not a fan of the name "Majors". I would rather see a series sponsor name followed by SCCA Championship Series or similar. The name doesn't matter though,

Should be interesting to see what happens to "National" events when they become just another SCCA event. My guess is some places such as NER/NHMS will have a decreased number of people traveling to events from afar when so many other events are available throughout the year to race at.

Raymond "I hope the Majors tour hits the pavement at every track in 2014!" Blethen

Raymond

BruceG
10-19-2012, 08:33 PM
All 1st gen RX7 'S will be brought into the paddock under cover of darkness for a Major/Rational, as to not spoil the image of higher level racing for the "MAJORS".....LOL.

Why doesn't Topeka just refer to Regional racers as "minor league" players since that is what they evidently think of us.

Bill Miller
10-20-2012, 08:24 AM
A path to the National Championship Runoffs will exist through both the Majors and Regional programs.

I think that is the most important sentence in the whole article. One could interpret that to mean that IT may actually get a shot at the Runoffs. If not, it will be interesting to see how they dance around it.

924Guy
10-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Congrats to the SCCA for finally taking the plunge in a major reorg of the Club Racing scene! Long overdue...

I won't claim that this is the perfect answer, I'm sure it'll need tweaking, but it's the first realistic, significant step towards cleaning up the mess.

I haven't yet heard from any National drivers who are against, if that tells you anything...

Flyinglizard
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I hope that we do away with the restricted qualifications for runoffs. IMHO we should all be able to go and try to qualify. Just like any other race /race series, etc. Having just the rich guys allowed to go, sux.
The National level prod guys( all 20 of them) are not overly happy with racing with us little guys. There seems to be quite an elitist mentality that the National license has granted. IMHO.

Greg Amy
10-20-2012, 10:41 AM
I hope that we do away with the restricted qualifications for runoffs.
"Restricted qualifications"? All you had to do was basically finish four races to "qualify"! Hell, I "qualified" for the Runoffs this year with a broken arm!

Ed Funk
10-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I think that is the most important sentence in the whole article. One could interpret that to mean that IT may actually get a shot at the Runoffs. If not, it will be interesting to see how they dance around it.

The "dancing" already happened....there is a phrase in there about "eligible classes".

ner88
10-20-2012, 12:29 PM
SSM, SM2, ITE, SPO or SPU are not "eligible classes" they are local classes

JohnRW
10-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Why doesn't Topeka just refer to Regional racers as "minor league" players since that is what they evidently think of us.

Please reveal that evidence to us.

zchris
10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
According to Dick Patullo, IT will also not be invited as its a regional only class. Majors is just a new name for Nationals and is run by Topeka instead of the regions. Its a way of decreasing the # of national events to increase per race participation.
Chris

Ed Funk
10-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Been in the Minors so long...don't think my bitchin' arm would make it the Majors anyway.

mossaidis
10-20-2012, 11:06 PM
you could have been a contender Ed... you could have.

jjjanos
10-20-2012, 11:40 PM
According to Dick Patullo, IT will also not be invited as its a regional only class. Majors is just a new name for Nationals and is run by Topeka instead of the regions. Its a way of decreasing the # of national events to increase per race participation.
Chris

Excellent. Then Topeka can pay my Region to hold one of their events or Topeka can provide all of the staffing, that is if the home track will deal with them at all.

zchris
10-20-2012, 11:47 PM
YA, what he said.:happy204:

Flyinglizard
10-21-2012, 12:08 AM
I think that there are better people driving the bus now. Let's wait and see the map.

RX555
10-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Majors is just a new name for Nationals and is run by Topeka instead of the regions. Its a way of decreasing the # of national events to increase per race participation.
Chris

This is the best description of it I've seen so far.

I just wonder if some regions will be able to get enough support for regional only races. If it's at RA or Mid Ohio, no problem. But races at the "less desirable" tracks could be in trouble with 50 or less entrants unless tracks are willing to re-negotiate their prices.

It sounds like a good start, though.

jhooten
10-21-2012, 02:20 PM
I hope my race chair read the LOI for the March event wrong. He called me yesterday and said the way he reads it the sanction fee will be $25 per car instead of a base fee for the first 100 cars and $15 excess for any car over that. That would mean for a 200 car national the sanction fee would go from $300 to $5000. OR $10000 for the double. If true entry fees are going up again due to no fault of the hosting region.

Drew M
10-24-2012, 01:47 PM
A path to the National Championship Runoffs will exist through both the Majors and Regional programs.

That's what I took from it too. I don't see why IT doesn't run nationals. It's some of the best racing in the country.

joeg
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm interested in what happens with licensing. National Licenses are different requirements (albeit not too burdensome) than "Regional" licenses.

Will they now just issue licenses and what will be the number of finishes, etc. required to renew.

Flyinglizard
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM
This deal is to make the Majors, fewer than the prior Nationals , to increase the participant numbers(per race)

I have been trying to get an open Qualifying format for the Runoffs.
(The current system is very elitist, IMHo. )
3 Races allows you to go to Runoffs and try to qualify. Top 25 get in the "feature".

Word today was that nothing final has been done.
Get your wishes known to your RE and BOD guy very soon.

jhooten
10-26-2012, 06:54 PM
"They" don't listen to me. I made my feelings well known at the convention and will at the upcoming convention for all the good it will do.