PDA

View Full Version : Help with possible classification, please

STEVE-O
10-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to purchase a 1984 Corvette with the Z51 handling package, minus engine for a very good price. My question to you is, what class (starting with a stock vehicle) is this C4 chassis eligible for?

Can it run in Improved Touring "E" or "R"?

Last but not least, since the car does not have an engine (or engine harness or ECU), are there alternative engines to install for a "stock" engine class? The '84 had the dreaded "Cease-Fire" (CrossFire) throttle body fuel injection which was very temperamental and has plenty of problems.

When this car was last run, it was with a carbureted engine in it. Is it possible to put a carb'd engine in of the same year with an equivalent or lower horsepower rating (say, the 305 w/Q-Jet from '84 Camaro/Firebird) instead of the original TBI 350?

Any help would be very beneficial.

-Steve

ITA_honda
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to purchase a 1984 Corvette with the Z51 handling package, minus engine for a very good price. My question to you is, what class (starting with a stock vehicle) is this C4 chassis eligible for?

Can it run in Improved Touring "E" or "R"?

Last but not least, since the car does not have an engine (or engine harness or ECU), are there alternative engines to install for a "stock" engine class? The '84 had the dreaded "Cease-Fire" (CrossFire) throttle body fuel injection which was very temperamental and has plenty of problems.

When this car was last run, it was with a carbureted engine in it. Is it possible to put a carb'd engine in of the same year with an equivalent or lower horsepower rating (say, the 305 w/Q-Jet from '84 Camaro/Firebird) instead of the original TBI 350?

Any help would be very beneficial.

-Steve

I know this would be an ITE car. Not sure about the specifics though. Good luck!

Gary L
10-04-2012, 01:30 PM
The '84 (and only the '84, BTW) is already classified in ITR, but you must run the long block (350 ci) and throttle body FI that it came with, subject to ITCS allowances and limits, of course.

CRallo
10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
That car is classified in ITR with the stock engine. You can put whatever you want in it to run ITE.

edit: Damn, you beat me Gary. I got up for other plate at lunch...

STEVE-O
10-04-2012, 03:36 PM
OK, so ITE it is! It is way too much work and money to find a complete '84 Vette harness, ECU, manifold, throttle bodies, sensors, etc...and actually have it work.

So, how would it be classified in ITE?

Is it weight/hp? What is legal as far as engine modifications? Is there a formula? Tire or wheel size restriction?

Knestis
10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
There is no "national" rule set for ITE, so specifics vary by region. You'll need to get in touch with yours to get specific rules.

K

CRallo
10-04-2012, 05:38 PM
ITE is traditionally a "run what you bring" class. A double edged sword, but it seems as though it would be up your alley ;)

Also some places use have ITO and ITU instead of ITE. You would be ITO in that case.

STEVE-O
10-05-2012, 12:49 AM
The region I'm in is Southern Pacific Region #19...Cal Club.

Z3_GoCar
10-05-2012, 12:01 PM
The region I'm in is Southern Pacific Region #19...Cal Club.

In our ITE anything goes, you could put a carb'ed 350 back in and run as is, just use DOT-R tires.

We're have an event this weekend, and I'll be working our PDX/Time Trial at Buttonwillow. Stop by.