PDA

View Full Version : DL1 Data for LRP

StephenB
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
So I don't think any threads like this exist... I wanted to share a screen shot and see if anyone could help me out and possibly help others at the same time.

Feel free to make fun of me at the expense of helping me and others look at our data to use it to help us.

Basically what am I looking at here?
What can I do better?
How can I use this data to make myself a better/faster driver?

I will be honest the first thing I noticed is that my speed slowed much sooner than when I "thought" I was hitting the brakes. I "thought I was at the "3" marker when clearly this shows me slowing at the 4 and I am actually no longer even accelerating way back at the 5 marker! I think this implies I am lifting, pausing, then braking...

Stephen

StephenB
09-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I can't figure out how to make the screen shot bigger. I posted to facebook and it is a little bigger...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4176347721314&set=o.121619754580674&type=1&theater

jrx13
09-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Sorry can't see the picture too well, even after I downloaded it.
Anyhow, just so you know, I'm no expert either. The good data analysis people can look at just the long g and lat g channels and derive much information from them.

I found it is much much easier for me when I added extra channels to help "decipher" the data. I can't tell from your picture but it helped me alot to have a throttle position channel and a brake channel. A brake channel can be simply tying in to your brake light circuit, so you know if and when you stabbed the brake pedal. I ran this for quite some time. It also helps in comparing laps cause you can see at what point you pressed the brakes - maybe earlier maybe later, etc. Later I change my sensor to a brake pressure sensor - now I can see I'm not pressing the brake firmly. In other words not committed fully. I mean I already knew this somewhat - but having the picture right in front of you is better.

Again, the good data analysis people don't need all the extra sensors - but for me it is so much easier to read the data with them. The throttle position you can see that you weren't full throttle when maybe you needed to be. These kind of things help you in giving you a goal on what you need to work on. You can also see how quick you transitioned from throttle to brakes and back again. I had a friend drive my car and he was faster on the transitions. Maybe .1 seconds. Times that by like 10 turns or so and that makes one second right there!

vicktorvolpe
09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
A throttle position sensor would be great. For brakes, you can use the g force data if you want.

I have DL-1 data in my spec miata...not the best comparison for you, but could send on the data no problem.

The best thing would be to have a fast shoe drive your car, post a lap faster than yours, and then overlay the runs. Coaching is expensive, but provides real return on your money.

Check if Racetechnology has the hookup to go right to your ECU.....my 1991 miata isn't capable, but newer cars should be good to go.

-Vick

MMiskoe
09-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Pretty sure that car has a TP sensor that feeds back to the ECU, splice into it and feed that to an analog input. Brake light toggle is nice, but the TP is much more useful. This will tell you when you're lifting vrs when you think you are (happens to everyone).

Without having someone else drive the car to compare against, I will go searching out the differences between a fast sector time and all the not so fast ones. Look for differences in brake and throttle inputs as compared to speed. Just because you got on the throttle earlier, doesn't mean its quicker, it might be because you were going slower. You may find, especially in a long turn like big bend, that slower in is faster overall, or vice vrs.

Sorry, but the picture was too fuzzy to do anything with.

On a side note, to make some thign like this work, what do people have for suggestions on how to share large data files? Most DL-1 files are too big to email.

I'll be curios what others have to say here.

vicktorvolpe
09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
My DL-1 is 5 mhz, so it's not bad to share a sprint race file.

Otherwise, my friends and I use dropbox for videos and pictures. You can share a folder in the ether of the internet.

-Vick

CRallo
09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree that it is best to load in a faster guys Data. I have never put a faster guy in my car, so I use Andy B's data and have also loaded data from fast SM'ers.

Stephen, send me your Data. What lap time are you running? Any other ITR guys running DL1? Maybe get some Rx7 data from Flatout?

CRallo
09-24-2012, 05:05 PM
more throttle, less brake.

tims90rx7
09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Stephen, I use the DL as well and we should have similar times at LRP. I was in an ITS running a low 1:02. I'm still working out going through the data but overlaying it with a faster run certainly gives the best initial feedback. Victor suggest Dropbox. I also use that for data/video exchange. If I can get my data file to you, I will do so.

Time with someone who has good historical data is always a good thing.

Tim Estes

RHallRacing
09-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Im not to familiar with the system, but it would be beneficial if you can overlay your data from lap to lap. On the other hand, you can see how hard your going to brakes, gas...and time between the two if you have slow transitions.

If you can look from lap to lap, compare you best time with other laps..eventhough the time may be worse...you might have gotten stuck in a traffic or bobbled and lost the time gained. Otherwise next test day or practice session, try a few different things then go back and look and see what worked.

StephenB
09-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. This is a snapshot of my best segment time through big bend. That lap I turned a 1:01.6 I would love to share data with others. I guess I can compare laps but some laps had almost the same split with way different lines. Surely 1 must be better than the other... Should I be comparing g force in those situations? One thing I could tell was that I was lifting almost 100 feet before applying the brakes entering big bend.

I am on my phone know but I will visit one of those sites above later to see if I can figure out how to download the data.

Stephen

RHallRacing
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
you can compare g's under braking to see how hard you braked and how you braked...weather you were squeezing the brake and building up pressure or braking pretty firm initially a trailing off

for coming out you can check your rpms at corner exit during different laps and see what worked and where for picking up throttle

Andy Bettencourt
09-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. This is a snapshot of my best segment time through big bend. That lap I turned a 1:01.6 I would love to share data with others. I guess I can compare laps but some laps had almost the same split with way different lines. Surely 1 must be better than the other... Should I be comparing g force in those situations? One thing I could tell was that I was lifting almost 100 feet before applying the brakes entering big bend.

I am on my phone know but I will visit one of those sites above later to see if I can figure out how to download the data.

Stephen

We have hundreds and hundreds of laps at LRP using DL-1's. Let's schedule a time at FOM and we can go over them. I have a ton of laps in the 1:01's from my car.

StephenB
09-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Any thoughts or interest in doing a class? If not I wouldn't mind the one on one time :) Never been to your shop and I have always wanted to stop bye anyway!

Stephen

Andy Bettencourt
09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Any thoughts or interest in doing a class? If not I wouldn't mind the one on one time :) Never been to your shop and I have always wanted to stop bye anyway!

Stephen

We have done a class in the past, best to do it one at a time.

JLawton
09-26-2012, 07:24 AM
So I don't think any threads like this exist... I wanted to share a screen shot and see if anyone could help me out and possibly help others at the same time.

Feel free to make fun of me at the expense of helping me and others look at our data to use it to help us.

Basically what am I looking at here?
What can I do better?
How can I use this data to make myself a better/faster driver?

I will be honest the first thing I noticed is that my speed slowed much sooner than when I "thought" I was hitting the brakes. I "thought I was at the "3" marker when clearly this shows me slowing at the 4 and I am actually no longer even accelerating way back at the 5 marker! I think this implies I am lifting, pausing, then braking...

Stephen

Get your brother to buy my DL1 and I'll give you both a class!! ;)

StephenB
09-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I already tried to get him to get it. Send him a private message and convince him!

Stephen