PDA

View Full Version : WGI this coming weekend

BruceG
09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Holy flying spec pinatas!! There are 61 entrants for the sm /ITB race!!

Knestis
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Oh, my.

Signed,

An ITB Entrant

EDIT - WAITAMINUTE. How in the HELL are there only SIX ITB cars? That sucks. ITNT points fale. Seriously. Dammit.

K

Gregg
09-10-2012, 09:18 PM
EDIT - WAITAMINUTE. How in the HELL are there only SIX ITB cars? That sucks. ITNT points fale. Seriously. Dammit.
Missed you at Summit this past weekend. :D

Signed,
Your friends in the DC Region

Knestis
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Missed you at Summit this past weekend. :D

Signed,
Your friends in the DC Region

:shrug:

downingracing
09-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Dan H. had his B car there in May and did very well! (and I was there with the A car doing fair....) Not making that trip 2x this year. 476 miles door to door for me. :blink:

Loved the track and will definately be back (maybe next year)!

Good luck to all!!!

Kai Noeske
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Car will take another week to fix after Summit's T8 excursion - won't make this WE bu will try for the next WGI event, work/travel permitting.

StephenB
09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Would anyone be willing to help out a friend with an ITR RX8? He is normally a NASA driver and I am trying to introduce him to the dark side ;) I helped him at mid-ohio and it was a lot of fun with him! He will have his own car and trailer and some tools.

PM me and I can put you in touch...

Stephen

billf
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Stephan,

I will be there for the entire weekend working Registration, and would be happy to give your friend any assistance needed. I'll be on site Friday afternoon, and leaving late Sunday.

Racer for forty years, built four SCCA cars (BS, ITB), and too many other projects to name. I've worked as Race Chair, Tech, Registration, Race Medical, Crew for Reginals, Nationals, Pro, and TransAm.

I've worked as a Foreign Car Mechanic while in school.

Have your friend call me direct at (716) 693-7199, or [email protected] to discuss his needs, and weekend schedule. (Phone would be quicker.) I may have second similarly qualified warm body available. That would make two crew members!!:026:

Good Racing,

Bill:024:

benspeed
09-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Hey Stephen,

I will look up your friend in the RX8 and give a big SCCA welcome! Glad to have more ITR guys.

Can't wait to race this weekend! It'll be the second event for me this season.

CRallo
09-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Don't scare him away! :p

I look forward to seeing you and your car! Glad you got it fixed!

Hey Stephen,

I will look up your friend in the RX8 and give a big SCCA welcome! Glad to have more ITR guys.

Can't wait to race this weekend! It'll be the second event for me this season.

StephF
09-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Hey what happened in the B race yesterday? Steve Frederick just posted pics on FB of Kirk's car all mangled up. Rumor has it he was punted?

Knestis
09-16-2012, 08:11 AM
You tell me...

In-car of the mess.

http://youtu.be/mWPhaTHKwp8

K

cjb25hs
09-17-2012, 06:41 AM
So was that my buddy Ray? Thats not the first time he went through drivers school with me and our first race after school on the second lap he punted me but he was driving an Eagle Talon then his car was written off i finished the weekend with some duct tape.

StephF
09-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Apparently he is well known.

rbrund
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM
That Group 1 race took after the red flag to reline up over an hour to run. It was fun trying to score i can tell you that much.

ShelbyRacer
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
You tell me...

In-car of the mess.

http://youtu.be/mWPhaTHKwp8

K

Holy crap dude.

Please tell me that there was action taken.

And I hope Pablo is OK.

Knestis
09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
There's a long conversation about it at RRAX but the short version is that I didn't file an action with the stewards. In hindsight - particularly because the punter has exhibited a pattern of this kind of behavior - I feel *very* stupid for not doing so but I was distracted with other reactions (glad to be only moderately hurt, dealing with ruined car, reflecting on my own possible responsibility as a driver). Knowing what I know now, particularly now that the offender has had another freebie, it should have been done.

K

Knestis
09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
...and here's how it ended for Pablo.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/FOM09/564024_4140056972393_799753640_n.jpg

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/FOM09/229336_4140055212349_1439281513_n.jpg

The last hit was square into the driver's door. I'll have pics of the door bars that probably kept me out of the hospital here in a little while...

K

Bill Miller
09-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Shit Kirk! Sorry to hear about this one. Glad you're not seriously hurt. I imagine you'll be even sorer tomorrow. Sucks about Pablo. :-(

Terry Hanushek
09-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Kirk

There's a long conversation about it at RRAX but the short version is that I didn't file an action with the stewards. In hindsight - particularly because the punter has exhibited a pattern of this kind of behavior - I feel *very* stupid for not doing so but I was distracted with other reactions (glad to be only moderately hurt, dealing with ruined car, reflecting on my own possible responsibility as a driver). Knowing what I know now, particularly now that the offender has had another freebie, it should have been done.

I wish that you had filed a protest (or urged the Chief Steward to take action) to get this deal on record. However, seeing your video and pictures of Pablo, I can certainly understand why you weren't in that frame of mind. That said, don't dwell on what might have been done - I'm sure there will be increased scrutiny going forward.

...and here's how it ended for Pablo.

The last hit was square into the driver's door. I'll have pics of the door bars that probably kept me out of the hospital here in a little while...

Was the t-bone in the door from the red 9 VW who got caught up in the mêlée? I saw pictures of it with heavy front end damage but there has been no mention of his involvement.

Hope to see ya at a race soon ... The Devil 2013?

Terry

Knestis
09-17-2012, 06:23 PM
It was indeed that red Golf with the flattened nose that hit me in the door. I think he felt pretty bad about the situation but he had VERY little time to react and a bunch of cars right behind him. What I can't quite figure out - and don't recall now from seeing HIS in-car just once at the track - is how Pablo's nose got completely heaved up like that. It's NOT that bad in my video after the initial hit on the wall driver's right...

K

ShelbyRacer
09-18-2012, 09:13 AM
(glad to be only moderately hurt,

Oh jeez, I kind of assumed you were unscathed, since nothing was said about it. And here I am, asking about the car...

Sorry.

May I ask what injuries there were?

And may we assume the HNR saved your life?

Knestis
09-18-2012, 09:35 AM
My ribs got banged up, similar to past mishaps karting and skiing, and I didn't "Danica" so I managed to get a finger tangled up in the steering wheel and sprained. All things considered, a pretty acceptable outcome in that regard.

The initial impact nose-first into the wall wasn't a particularly hard lick, I don't think, but on the H&N question, I am *VERY* glad that I didn't need to worry about it coming out from under the belts like Greg Amy had happen with the Hans at the same track a couple years back. I was in three substantial crashes over the course of the incident.

...and I really dread to think what would have happened if I'd been in a lousy seat. I rented a Miata for the 13 hours a couple years ago that was AOK mechanically but had a Kirkey seat that didn't fit me worth a damn. If I'd been in the same kind of t-bone hit with that seat, I'd have been much worse off. Thank you, Recaro.

K

gran racing
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
What H&NR were you wearing out of curosity?

Every time I look at those pictures it hurts. Been there and know how much it sucks.

Bill Miller
09-18-2012, 11:29 AM
It was indeed that red Golf with the flattened nose that hit me in the door. I think he felt pretty bad about the situation but he had VERY little time to react and a bunch of cars right behind him. What I can't quite figure out - and don't recall now from seeing HIS in-car just once at the track - is how Pablo's nose got completely heaved up like that. It's NOT that bad in my video after the initial hit on the wall driver's right...

K

Kirk,

Is the video from the red Golf (or any of the other cars directly behind you) posted anywhere?

Knestis
09-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I've got a Hybrid. I got a look at the vid from the car that hit me and asked if he'd please let me know if/when it was available (left my email) but I haven't seen it.

K

rekcik15
09-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Red VW here,

I have the video your looking for but need to post atleast 4 times in order to post links... soo here it is anyways

https://vimeo(dot)com/49724216

Glad to hear your alright Kirk.

-Jason

Knestis
09-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I really appreciate you getting that up, Jason, but even with the . rather than "dot" it doesn't appear to be working. Maybe it hasn't finished converting or something...? You could send me the link at [email protected] if you want.

THANKS again,

K

rekcik15
09-18-2012, 08:50 PM
It should be up in a little bit, its converting at the moment.

Knestis
09-18-2012, 09:08 PM
It's working now...

https://vimeo.com/49724216

Hurts less watching it from that angle. Thanks again, Jason. Glad you are AOK.

K

EDIT - Wow. I thought that last hit got me square in the door but it was really an offset on the front corner as much as anything.

EDIT EDIT - That's pretty cool, with the two views synched in separate panes.

RHallRacing
09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Holy crap! Glad you guys are okay!

rekcik15
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Yep, just woke up with a little stiffness in the neck the next day from that lick in the wall. It could have been much worse than it was for us both.

I have to take a quick second to anyone reading this that had I not had a 'snug' seat, tightly strapped down belts and a HANS, I may not be able to be posting here and I saw Kirk feels the same way. When I hit the wall that was the actual seat moving sideways, not my body.

...and thanks, yeah I thought that kinda of setup would show the best representation of what happened with you two because it is hard to see in both videos alone what happened (mine being far away and yours just an in car)

itracer
09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Wow -- seeing both videos reminds me of why I don't like racing at WG. Once things go bad, they do not clear themselves and always come back onto the track. The armco near the edges of the track create a pinball effect when a car goes off.

I am glad both of you have only minor injuries and I hope you both come back to ITB with golfs.

ShelbyRacer
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Wow, the double view thing is awesome.

And holy hell, I hope I don't have an occasion where someone can make a video like that.

Kirk- it really appears that the P2 car makes a decided move to the left while in contact with you, and I definitely don't see brake lights. I'm sure that's not a surprise to you, but I figured I'd mention it...

Bill Miller
09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Holy crap! Glad you guys are okay!

No kidding! That's a serious shunt. Glad everyone involved is ok.

Yep, just woke up with a little stiffness in the neck the next day from that lick in the wall. It could have been much worse than it was for us both.

I have to take a quick second to anyone reading this that had I not had a 'snug' seat, tightly strapped down belts and a HANS, I may not be able to be posting here and I saw Kirk feels the same way. When I hit the wall that was the actual seat moving sideways, not my body.

...and thanks, yeah I thought that kinda of setup would show the best representation of what happened with you two because it is hard to see in both videos alone what happened (mine being far away and yours just an in car)

Nice job on the video. :023: You really get snapped to the right at the end, glad you're ok.

Any chance there's any video from the P3 car? I agree, the P2 car does appear to move left after he contacts Kirk.

And I agree w/ the comment about the armco creating a pinball effect. Saw that happen right in front of my several years ago. We were coming out of the boot, making the left, when the 2 cars in front of me got together. The one car hooked hard left, smacked the armco, and bounced right across the track, and hit the armco on the other side. The only reason I wasn't collected was because I aimed at where the car was, when I was 50' away, not where there was a hole. Just missed him. Fortunately, both drivers in that one were ok as well.

dazzlesa
09-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Nice group of b cars. That wreck sucks! Sucks that it happened, glad you guys are ok.

Doc
09-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm the guy in the Red ITR Mazda RX8.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome to your community at WGI.

Special thanks to Bill and Paul for your assistance. I sincerely appreciated your help.

Ben Phillips, you still owe me a beer!! :018:

Kirk, sorry to see the result and hear about Pablo.

"Doc" Mark

RSTPerformance
09-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Holly crap those are some hard hits... Glad everyone is ok.

Whomwas the P2 Driver?

Raymond