PDA

View Full Version : IT National Tour Points

Knestis
09-06-2012, 05:42 PM
With the IT Fest and a pretty good distribution of "elective" points events in the books, the ITNT points are starting to get interesting. We've updated the points and posted highlights at...

http://itnationaltour.com/

If you're an IT entrant and have run a major event this year, there's a pretty good chance you are in the points. Check it out.

K

924Guy
09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Two minor corrections... Merritt's first name is mis-spelled... and Hayes Lewis (ITB ) is also driving a 924. Thanks!

Eagle7
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
And with the misspelling of Tim Selby in ITS, when you combine his two records he will be the new ITS leader.

Knestis
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the corrections! I was actually wondering how best to resolve some of those (e.g., Selby's evident duplicate record). We are at the mercy of the results distributed by the regions so it's nice to have someone looking over our shoulders.

K

Ralf
09-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Was just looking at the 2012 schedule to see where all the races are, and noticed the MiDiv event listed as TBA. Our last race for the season will be Oct 13-14th at Mid America Motorplex.
http://www.midiv.org/PDF/Flyers/Flier_BART%20Bash-1.pdf

RX555
09-08-2012, 12:51 AM
First I've heard of this and it seems pretty confusing. Elective points vs. other points and not all points count??
Interesting concept though.

Knestis
09-08-2012, 08:22 AM
The idea is to encourage folks to (a) attend the big nearby races with lots of competition, and (b) think about attending the two IT showcase events - the Fest and ARRC - with some additional recognition.

The problem with many points structures (e.g. SEDiv) is that you can win them by cherry picking events with weak fields, or by swamping the competition by simply doing a LOT of events. The ITNT points structure prevents that.

K

Knestis
09-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Was just looking at the 2012 schedule to see where all the races are, and noticed the MiDiv event listed as TBA. Our last race for the season will be Oct 13-14th at Mid America Motorplex.
http://www.midiv.org/PDF/Flyers/Flier_BART%20Bash-1.pdf

I don't remember exactly what the situation there was (cancelled event, changed schedule?) but pick the steering committee member nearest you and see about getting an addition to the schedule. We very much wanted to have one really solid IT race (often a double regional) in the various geographies.

http://itnationaltour.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=59

K

Ralf
09-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't remember exactly what the situation there was (cancelled event, changed schedule?) but pick the steering committee member nearest you and see about getting an addition to the schedule.

K

Haha, that's funny! We can't get racers to show up to the events that are scheduled.

Knestis
01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
To clarify something i missed, ITNT races are *not* separate events or groups added to weekends. They are existing races (e.g., the SARRC-MARRS at VIR) that historically attract good IT fields. The goal is to have one ITNT "Elective" points event (often a double, so drivers have two opportunities to score) in each geographic region. Drivers combine the points from their ONE best Elective race with their finishes from the ARRC and 'fest, for their season total.

K

Knestis
08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
The 2013 ITNT points have been updated to include the IT Fest results...

http://itnationaltour.com/

We have many super-close races - ties in many cases - within classes so it's shaping up to be a very competitive season. If you are looking to improve your points, make sure you enter popular races (you get points for beating people in addition to finishing in front) and start planning now for the ARRC.

K

adamjabaay
08-21-2013, 10:40 PM
9 points simply finishing races at ITfest! Broken cars and nervous noob drivers can get points it appeArz!

240zdave
08-22-2013, 08:45 AM
OK, I'm confused. Apparently, only the points from one race on double events counts, or your formulas are not adding across the columns. It appears that Ron Earp should have 39 total points, but only shown with 22. What happened to the 17 points from VIR2? Same thing across the board. Maybe I missed the explanation where only the highest point from a double event counts, and the other is thrown out. :shrug:

itracer
08-22-2013, 09:11 AM
IT Tour Segments: The three Segments that make up the IT National Tour are as follows:
1. The I.T. SPEC*tacular (IT-Fest)
2. The American Road Race of Champions Presented by Grassroots Motorsport (ARRC by GRM)
3. A driver’s best finish at no more than one of several “Elective” races located throughout the country

Elective Race Procedures:
If a driver participates in multiple Elective races, only their best finish (highest points total) will count for IT National Tour points
If there are multiple races of the same length (a Double MARRS, for instance), each race will count as an Elective race and be scored separately
At a co-sanctioned weekend (such as the SARRC/MARRS at VIR) the entire class will be scored as one regardless of series affiliation. i.e. – if you finish first in ITS for SARRC but fifth overall in ITS, you will get fifth place points.

Knestis
08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
The "Tour" points total is a based on a driver's tally from the IT Fest, the ARRC, and their best "elective" race score from among the eligible events in the calendar. Points for each event are based on finishing position and the number of drivers beaten on-track.

The committee that created the points system last year didn't want it to be another contest decided based on who could afford to travel to the most events (or was lucky enough to be located where races are plentiful). (See also, "SEDiv Championship.") We also wanted to *not* reward cherry-picking races with low turnouts, therefore the bonus-for-beating-people scheme.

A PERFECT Tour total would be 66 points. Tom Martin got to 59 last year in ITB, which was pretty amazing.

K

EDIT - Whoops. Too slow. Jason beat me.

mossaidis
08-22-2013, 10:41 AM
VTAC Yo! I am top 5 in ITA!!!!

Knestis
08-22-2013, 12:21 PM
You are, and as a guy who's thought for YEARS that your generation of Civic should be a genuine player in ITA, I think that's pretty cool.

K

mossaidis
08-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Ah, thanks buddy. It's taken of course some $$$$... but whatev'...this is entry level SCCA. ;)

mossaidis
11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Kirk, What's your take on the 2014 ITNT session? Any anticipated impact based on there being a Divisional series now? Best, Mickey

Knestis
11-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Frankly, we didn't have much evidence of enthusiasm for the series this year. One purpose - not secret but not overtly stated - was to encourage folks to commit to both the ITFest and ARRC. If you look at the points (http://itnationaltour.com/images/downloads/2013itntpoints.pdf), you'll see that didn't really pan out. We didn't have a much conversation at all about the series among club members. I didn't personally see any evidence that anyone was actually pursuing points; more that the points just kind of happened for those who earned them incidentally being at qualifying events...

K

mossaidis
11-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I agree.

I am trying to plan next year's schedule knowing I can probably only afford 3 races, 4 at most, while trying to have some goals. At 4 events, divisionals are probably out of the question. ITA NARRC championships have been won by getting 3rd or better at almost every single event. So, contending for NARRC again in 2014 is out of the question as well. That leaves contending in STL within Majors eastern conference races, have fun, try new tracks out and hopefully get some contingency from HPD, Hoosier, etc OR contend in ITNT within the 4 race budget, similar advantages... have fun and try new tracks out.

Too bad ARRC was lightly attended. I blame tGA for bringing the ST forums on it.com. Just sayin'. :)

Knestis
11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
There's some truth to the STL poke. Some of us have been talking about it and are thinking that (for various reasons) more than a few of the more serious MW/East IT drivers have self-selected out of the category in the past few years to pursue other classes. That, plus a continued weak "racing consumer confidence" has cut into the number willing to travel to chase a points title - even if in the case of the ITNT simply attending lots of races is *not* a recipe for success.

Look at Mark Domo in R. He won the ARRC but got beat by drivers who did LESS well in BETTER attended qualifying Regionals. Many top finishers across the classes would have cleaned up if they'd done reasonably well in ONE Elective race in addition to the premier event they did - or vice-versa, run the Fest or ARRC in addition to their Electives - but didn't do both...

It's just not emblematic of a recipe that is attractive to IT drivers at this point.

K

EDIT - To be fair, we also didn't have a few key drivers (myself included) who the previous year were out at events promoting the series, distributing stickers, etc. That's hurt the idea, no question.

StephenB
11-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Mickey, I can only afford a few races myself. Next year instead of spending money on traveling I am thinking of sticking local and reaching in more races for the same money... hopefully doing all the nerrc races in 14!

mossaidis
11-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Are using street tires? Camping out? Changing fluids every 4 weekends instead of 1-2 weekend?

StephenB
11-22-2013, 12:45 PM
I would love to do street tires but it's hard to get away from the purple crack! Fluids... just oil and diff fluids every 4hrs. However it also eats a 1/2 a qrt every 1hr! Transmission and coolant ever 5 weekends.

Coming from nh with an rv makes the cost to get to the track a big expense. Yes we do camp (rv) but even that adds up. Lucky for me my wife doesn't "think" the registration and rv maintenance is part of racing... yet!

StephenB
11-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I guess it will also depends on the entry fees as well. I really liked the idea of the ITNT but work gets in the way of the ARRC which is a big part of the purpose of it. Maybe I'd look at it differently if I lived further south.