PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Suspension: Leaf Springs or Torsion

Feffman
08-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi All:

Trailer shopping and one quandry I have is the suspension whether leaf spring or torsion. Is the torsion better to tow with and does it hold up as well as leaf springs?

Trying to buy pre-owned and leaf spring trailers are more abundant and less costly to purchase. Been sharing a torsion trailer but need my own.

Thanks.

Feff

Sandro
08-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Once you go Torsion, you will never go back. :026:

billf
08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
One thing to keep in mind: Leaf springs have compensators with bushings that wear out. If you are one to check them, you might be replacing them periodically. You might detect play in them when examining the trailer...only with the side (both wheels suspended) of the ground. No chance of that play with torsion suspensions.

I have used a compensator style with car trailers for years. Now I have torsion on a camping trailer. No other complaint with either.

Bill

tdw6974
08-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Torsion Towing since 1981:eclipsee_steering:

StephF
08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Torsion. Problem free, smoother ride, no worries about the suspension rotting away. There really aren't too many companies that offer leaf spring suspension anymore. In my experience when I was selling trailers, we only saw that on the low end or single axle stuff.
What brands are you considering?

Feffman
10-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Once you go Torsion, you will never go back. :026:

Picked up a 20 foot Haulmark with torsion last weekend. Thanks for the insights all.

Feff