PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cutting Off

Vance
08-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I have an engine problem that's really got me stumped. My engine dies when making a right hand turn. It feels like your turning off the ignition. If I feather the throttle 1/4 or less it runs fine, but more throttle and it cut off. As soon as I straighten the wheel it runs normal. Also runs great when turning to the left.

This is on a 1994 Miata 1.8 engine.

I have checked the following:
Fuel pressure good.
No loose wires on engine.
No loose wires under the dash.
No wires touching the accelerator peddle or cable.

I have replaced:
Fuel pump.
Kill switch.
Engine computer.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Vance

Greg Amy
08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Had a Miata buddy up here with a similar-sounding problem. He replaced the entire engine wiring harness, firewall forward, and it fixed his issues. - GA

CRallo
08-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Regardless of fuel level I assume?

Vance
08-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes, this happens when tank is full or less.

My data logging computer monitors battery voltage which is solid. I also monitor the fuel pressure between the regulator and fuel rail and it is steady.

I checked the tank baffle when I replaced the fuel pump and it was not moving.

I thought about replacing the wiring harness. Hope I don't have to do it.

Thanks Vance

rockytenney
08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I had a similar problem with a 1990 miata, left hand turns. Turns out the fuel filter was the cause, full of crap that blocked the flow. Replaced it and problem went away.

Vance
08-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I took the throttle position sensor apart (destroyed it) and found a bad spot starting ar 1/4 throttle. Hope this is the problem. Bothers me it only shows up in right hand turns.

I also going to replace the fuel filter and going to clean all the ground connections and put star washer under them. After that I will go test at a local track.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

Vance