PDA

View Full Version : Which pistons are legal for a 95 ITA Miata ?

Abhi
08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I need to buy pistons for a 1.8 Miata (1995) for ITA. Mazdaspeed has the .040 set listed for $795 for the piston set, but don't have them in stock.

It is legal to use an aftermarket piston, and if so does anyone have recommendations ?

Also are forged pistons legal ?

Thanks
Abhi

gran racing
08-10-2012, 12:05 PM
There's this cool book online which talks about this and several other compliance related subjects. I think it's even on SCCA's website. Something, something GCR?

Yeah, go with the forged. :p Why just listen to someone here and hope they're right?

Abhi
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=gran racing;339677]There's this cool book online which talks about this and several other compliance related subjects. I think it's even on SCCA's website. Something, something GCR?

QUOTE]

OK Wiseguy :)

I did look. Just didn't understand what it meant.
So I figured I would ask here.

Trying to get the car back together for the next New Hampshire race, after ventilating the block last weekend.

Abhi

chuck baader
08-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Forged ok....must be same in all dimensions as stock...rings, pin, compression height, weight, etc. Chuck

Andy Bettencourt
08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Abhi,

Talk with Matt. Forged is legal but the pistons have to weigh the same as the stock units so you won't find them IMHO for reasonable money.

Does Mazda have the .020 sets in stock? Cheaper and usually more avail plus it gives you an option to go .040 after.

If you want to 'rush' it, get a stock bottom end and go with that for now while you build a 'pro' motor over the winter. Take your time.

jimalley
08-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Abhi

I know somebody who has a very well prepared ITA Miata available:)

Abhi
08-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Abhi

I know somebody who has a very well prepared ITA Miata available:)

Does the seat move forward enough to fit a five and a half foot driver ? :)