PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen Sept 15th-16th: the Fun One

darthmonkeyIT
08-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Hello! A few of us are looking to head up and check out Watkins Glen the weekend of the 15th-16th for the double regional there put on by FLR.

We are trying to figure out logistics and format for the weekend but I have yet to find any sign up information for the event (motorsport reg or NE div SCCA website or FLR website). Is there another system being used?

Also wanted to find out if there might be a evening test & tune at Watkins like they do at Mid Ohio? Towing 400+ miles we would really like the chance to drive Watkins as much as we can.

Any information would be awesome!

Thank you!

CRallo
08-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Nor is it on DLB.

according the watkins glen website, there is a test day, but I have never seen them do an evening test there. And HOD and COM are there W-T and M-T respectively so come drive the whole week!!!! :D

barring someone in the know posting I would email someone at FLR. They sure are not doing themselves favors by not having the event listed SOMEWHERE...

darthmonkeyIT
08-03-2012, 03:31 PM
according the watkins glen website, there is a test day...

Ok. I couldn't find a schedule with the days events broken down on the WGI website. I should be able to make the test day on Friday. I will be in Cleveland Thursday night and driving to Watkins from there.

barring someone in the know posting I would email someone at FLR. They sure are not doing themselves favors by not having the event listed SOMEWHERE...

If I don't hear from someone on here in the next week I will shoot an email to the registrar for FLR.

CRallo
08-03-2012, 05:33 PM
It is kind of buried... Look for track rentals (upper right?)and then click on track rental schedule. That will download a PDF schedule of the whole year.

kcolbey
08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I can't give details as to exact run groups, but historically, the event is the long course (probably somewhere around a 7 lap race or so) on Saturday and the short course (no idea on laps) on Sunday. I'm also looking forward to seeing some supps, as I might make this my first race since getting signed off.

tdw6974
08-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Ok. I couldn't find a schedule with the days events broken down on the WGI website. I should be able to make the test day on Friday. I will be in Cleveland Thursday night and driving to Watkins from there.

If I don't hear from someone on here in the next week I will shoot an email to the registrar for FLR.
Usual procedure for Test day is Gates open at 6:00 am - 10 AM Must go to registration to Pay! Now the nice part is even if you are not running test day you can regsiter for the event and have access to the track to set for weekend. Then do the tourist deal for Friday if you like!

downingracing
08-04-2012, 05:28 PM
You will have a blast! I recommend the test day. The track is GREAT to drive, but the practice on Friday makes for a WAY better weekend. Dan H. and I went there in the spring and both had a blast! He won ITB on Sat. and was 2nd on Sun. I was 7th in ITA both days and I drove like a 12 year old! (Grand-Am supprt race was 2 weeks later and I wanted to do that event!) I levt several seconds on the table... GREAT track - can't wait to go back and give it another go! Long course on Sat. and short course on Sun. - I like them both! The bad would be that anything that happens on track leads to a FCY. No 'hot' pulls, so one issue and your session can be over.

We met some real nice folks while we were there! Also met several not-so-nice folks - More than you'd expect at a race weekend... The workers were all GREAT! Track is AWESOME! And whatever you do - Talk to people to find the 'easy' route to the track. Mapquest and GPS took us up and down 6-8% grades for 30 miles!! That sucked! The trip home was awesome once someone told us the 'easy' route!! We drove over Thursday and stayed the night at the track next to the registration building. There were 30? folks who did the same. So the 6am registration and test day sign-up were easy!

JohnRW
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Entry info now posted on the Finger Lakes Region website:

http://www.flr-scca.com/race/2012/funone/entryinfo.html

Registration now up on motorsportreg.com

The Friday test day is operated by the track, not the SCCA region, so there is no sign-up for it in advance for the test day. Show up early Friday morning, go thru SCCA Registration (the track asks that racers go thru SCCA Registration before they'll issue credentials for the test day...as the test day is only for people racing that weekend). SCCA Registration will close ~10amFriday morning, then re-open ~6pm Friday night (registrars have jobs, too...).

Standard Fun One format - Long Course Saturday, Short Course Sunday, Pig Roast on Saturday night.

darthmonkeyIT
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Entry info now posted on the Finger Lakes Region website:

http://www.flr-scca.com/race/2012/funone/entryinfo.html

Registration now up on motorsportreg.com

The Friday test day is operated by the track, not the SCCA region, so there is no sign-up for it in advance for the test day. Show up early Friday morning, go thru SCCA Registration (the track asks that racers go thru SCCA Registration before they'll issue credentials for the test day...as the test day is only for people racing that weekend). SCCA Registration will close ~10amFriday morning, then re-open ~6pm Friday night (registrars have jobs, too...).

Standard Fun One format - Long Course Saturday, Short Course Sunday, Pig Roast on Saturday night.

Thank you for the information and link!

benspeed
08-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Hello to anybody running the schedule for the event! Any chance of moving STU into another class besides IT so we can double dip???

Cheers,

Ben

gran racing
08-08-2012, 06:41 PM
HA! Thus far it hasn't been possible for SM, SSM, SM2 to be broken apart.

tdw6974
08-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I thought the move was to have ALL MIATAs in one race group:D

CRallo
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Hello to anybody running the schedule for the event! Any chance of moving STU into another class besides IT so we can double dip???

Cheers,

Ben

FWIW, My teammate and I LOVE the glen and were planing to attend, but STU being mixed with IT is a deal breaker for us :(

any way to fix this?

Go run STL and ITA. wanna quadruple dip? go run ITE since you are obviously crazy anyways! :p

Who wants to run ITE? :D

on edit: May I suggest switching STU with SSB and SSC? Would work great cuz STL is in a different run group and most B and C cars can run there. everyone wins. please and thank you!!!

On double edit: Do we need to contact someone directly by email? Or is someone on here involved?

gran racing
08-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Group 1; SM, SSM3, SM23 ITB, ITC, SSB, SSC, STL

STL is already mixed in the Miata fest group. With the ITA Miatas needing all of the extra weight, that's not that viable. In our case, it's not about double dipping but about attending using a shared car. Not sure I'd attend but this makes the decision that much easier. I don't know why a region wouldn't want as many double dippers as they can get.

The region's contact is Chris, e-mail [email protected]

CRallo
08-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Are we looking at the same supps?

Last I saw STL was in G3...

And I was using dipping as a generic term to include car sharing.

Group 1; SM, SSM3, SM23 ITB, ITC, SSB, SSC, STL

STL is already mixed in the Miata fest group. With the ITA Miatas needing all of the extra weight, that's not that viable. In our case, it's not about double dipping but about attending using a shared car. Not sure I'd attend but this makes the decision that much easier. I don't know why a region wouldn't want as many double dippers as they can get.

The region's contact is Chris, e-mail [email protected]

ner88
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Yah, STL in group 3, with SRFs :shrug:

Bruce Perry
08-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Against my better judgement I will respond to the race groupings because I had a hand in setting them.

The groups are set up so that Miatas can run Gp1 and then double dip in Gp3 (STL) and tripple dip in Gp 5 (ITA, ITS, maybe STU)

IT cars can run Gp 1 (ITB, ITC) or Gp 5 (ITR, ITS, ITA) and then double dip in GP3 (STL).

This might not be a conventional grouping that you are used to. However, we put a lot of thought into double and tripple dipping. Let's try this and see how it works.

For any and all dippers, make sure you go to impound when necessary. We will turn you around ASAP so that you can get to your next group. Just let me know!:)

Thanks and please reconsider attending our event.

gran racing
08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Bruce, I realize this stuff is not easy and appreciate you / others doing it.

From the Miata camp, don't many of the SM2 and SSM cars like double dipping into SM? If we were to go, one of us would want to do SM and the other SM2 or SSM (depending on where the car is in the conversion process). If STL is in group 3, I don't feel comfortable running with SRFs. And yes, I have done that before. ITA would require too much added weight to be added.

Again, I realize you'll probably upset someone regardless.

In group 1, having that many Miatas seems like it'll make for a rough first lap or two. If you guys keep it that way, maybe a split start would help keep the crashes limited?

CRallo
08-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks very much for the reply!! Please read the suggestion in my previous post. I believe it would be inline with your thinking AND improve upon it.

Or, are all those classes you listed to double in STL allowed to do so regardless of engine size?

Or, Dave might not mind, and nor would I if you switched a Miata group and ITA.

Against my better judgement I will respond to the race groupings because I had a hand in setting them.
b
The groups are set up so that Miatas can run Gp1 and then double dip in Gp3 (STL) and tripple dip in Gp 5 (ITA, ITS, maybe STU)

IT cars can run Gp 1 (ITB, ITC) or Gp 5 (ITR, ITS, ITA) and then double dip in GP3 (STL).

This might not be a conventional grouping that you are used to. However, we put a lot of thought into double and tripple dipping. Let's try this and see how it works.

For any and all dippers, make sure you go to impound when necessary. We will turn you around ASAP so that you can get to your next group. Just let me know!:)

Thanks and please reconsider attending our event.

ner88
08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Most ITS and ITR can't run in STL.

mossaidis
08-09-2012, 08:35 PM
ITS and under can run in STL. ITR can not run in STL.

There's a clear line.

ner88
08-09-2012, 09:40 PM
ITS cars under 2.0L, can run in STL

benspeed
08-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi - I'd suggest putting STU in group 3. Don't really see any downside...

Bruce, thanks for chiming in and helping put the schedule together. I'm just trying to figure out where I can double dip my ITR car. Can't go for ITE since it's group 6 right after the group 5 IT race. Before I go sending off emails are the other guys on the board willing to support a request to move STU from group 5 to group 3? Any objections?

Thanks

mossaidis
08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
ITS cars under 2.0L, can run in STL

Damn! you're right...

"Any GCR listed IT cars, 1985 and newer, under their current IT
specifications may compete in STU. GCR listed ITS, ITA, ITB,
and ITC cars with reciprocating piston engines of 2 liters and less
engine displacement, 1985 and newer, may compete in STL under
their current IT specifications."

darthmonkeyIT
08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
What is the schedule for the Watkins Friday test day? From the posts I understand that sign up for it is from 6 AM to 10 AM but what times does the test start/end and what kind of format is it?

How much does the test day cost?

I will be in Cleveland on Thursday and am looking to drive a few hours closer to Watkins to shorten the Friday morning trip for the test day sign up time frame. Need to have all my ducks in a row to make sure that this all works out. :)

Thank you!

-Sean

gt40jim
08-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Bruce, thanks for chiming in and helping put the schedule together. I'm just trying to figure out where I can double dip my ITR car. Can't go for ITE since it's group 6 right after the group 5 IT race. Before I go sending off emails are the other guys on the board willing to support a request to move STU from group 5 to group 3? Any objections?

Thanks
I agree with Ben, Bringing an ITR car.....

tdw6974
08-13-2012, 02:04 PM
What is the schedule for the Watkins Friday test day? From the posts I understand that sign up for it is from 6 AM to 10 AM but what times does the test start/end and what kind of format is it?

How much does the test day cost?

I will be in Cleveland on Thursday and am looking to drive a few hours closer to Watkins to shorten the Friday morning trip for the test day sign up time frame. Need to have all my ducks in a row to make sure that this all works out. :)

Thank you!

-Sean
Sean, here is format from july and should remain same since WGI runs the test day. http://www.glen-scca.org/roadracing/2012/SCCA12testInfoJULY5.pdf T Weaver

CRallo
08-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Most ITS and ITR can't run in STL.

nor can over sized underpowered ITA cars... :(

ITS and under can run in STL. ITR can not run in STL.

There's a clear line.

What ARE you smoking?! and why you no share?

Thanks

I support this message.

Damn! you're right...

"Any GCR listed IT cars, 1985 and newer, under their current IT
specifications may compete in STU. GCR listed ITS, ITA, ITB,
and ITC cars with reciprocating piston engines of 2 liters and less
engine displacement, 1985 and newer, may compete in STL under
their current IT specifications."

see? learn something new everyday! :p

Bruce Perry
08-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Addressing the idea of moving STL to Group 3.

I proposed this idea to the Race Chairman and Divisional Steward in order to accomodate double dipping for ITR and large motor ITS cars. While the idea was generally well received there is an issue that is preventing us from making this change. Group 3 is the "small bore" and SRF group.

<<<Bruce, I have thought about it but I'm concerned about having fast BIG steel cars rub with the SRF's. Getting a 2600 to 2800 pound BMW 3 series or a 968/ 944S in with the 1400 pound cars scars me.

We may loose some double entrees but both SFR and most of the big ITS cars run in the 2:15/2:18 second range. I'd hate to see a BMW guy run over an SFR in a corner. I think the SFR corner speed and the IT straight line speed would create - issues - in the corners.>>>

I can't argue with this view.

We are avoiding the idea of adding a group because that will reduce track time for everyone.

We are sorry we couldn't accomodate everyone with an easy "double dip". We will continue to think about the situation and see if we can come up with a better idea for next time.

benspeed
08-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Bruce - thanks for looking into it and appreciate the post. See you at WGI! :-)

RSTPerformance
08-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Not racing at this event but interestingly I noticed my ITB car can't run in STL... I think I did once though at the Glen... Opps!

Raymond

Knestis
08-19-2012, 07:24 PM
My entry's in. Looking forward to finally driving my "local track," since we've been in Syracuse for 3 years now... :)

K