PDA

View Full Version : SCCA in Canada??

StephenB
07-24-2012, 12:08 PM
So I was looking at racetracks in Canada and a bunch exist just over the boarder... would SCCA ever race up that way?

Stephen

mossaidis
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
There's a national at Mosport every year... I think.

Mont Tremblanc would be AWESOME!

Greg Amy
07-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Nope, no more Nat'l at Mosport, hasn't been in a while (last time I ran it was 1992).

Dunno specifically why SCCA doesn't venture north any more, but I can tell you that trailering up to Canada in this day and age is not for the faint of heart. Between U.S. and Canada Customs and U.S. Border Patrol, and the fact that many of these cars do not have valid titles and registrations, it could potentially be a very unpleasant experience. I trailered my street NX2000 to Mosport in an open trailer for a HPDE a couple summers ago, and Canada wanted proof of ownership (title and registration) and an inventory list of what I was bringing across and leaving; USA also wanted proof of ownership and to inspect everything to ensure I wasn't bringing in contraband.

The ITB Canooks tow down here all the time, so I'm sure they have the process down pat; but I'm very unlikely to deal with that pulling a loaded enclosed with an untitled/unregistered race car. - GA

PDoane
07-25-2012, 07:34 AM
I ran (tried to run) a 1 hour enduro at Mosport in 2002 in my ITA car. It was a combined CASC SCCA event.

I had my inventory list and a letter from the track for the crossings, but none of the booth people were very interested in the forms or inspecting my trailer.

Mosport and Mont Tremblant are among my all-time favorite tracks.

jhooten
07-25-2012, 10:59 AM
There is no more Mosport.

It is now Canadian Tire Motorsports Park.

Greg Amy
07-25-2012, 11:27 AM
No it's not.

And it's "Sears Point" and "Laguna Seca", not whatever corporate sponsor paid for a label."

GA, you can, but I'm refusing to capitulate to the prostitution...

JohnRW
07-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Mosport is the scariest track in North American. I love the place, even though I had my biggest-ever crash there (20 ft. in the air...yeehar) during an SCCA national.

Border crossings - essentially a non-issue, even post 9/2001. Gone to Canada for races & test days at TTFKAM (The Track Formerly Known As Mosport) and Mt Tremblant...only had one border officer (French Canadian guy with a handlebar moustache and a Monty Python-esque accent) ask about the car...seemed satisfied with "I'm not going to sell it". Pull up to the booth, shut off your engine (indicating that you're happy to stay for as long as required...and that you can't hear over the diesel noise, either), smile and talk to the folks with badges. Biggest delay I've ever had coming back to the US (other than the line of traffic at the crossing) was a US Customs officer who wanted to look inside the trailer...that took all of 30 seconds.

I've crossed with and without inventories and (Customs Form 4457), no hassles. Have a racer buddy in the Buffalo area who is a US Customs & Border Patrol officer...he still tells me "Don't fill out that stuff...it's just more paperwork for us...we see race cars (dirt, drag, circle, etc.) all the time...we know the deal...the last thing we need is more paperwork.".

YMMV.

Bruce Perry
07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I have entered many CASC events at Mosport, including 2010. Border crossing is just as John explained, simple. The Track is awesome, scary, fun. Full throttle blind over crest apexes, huge elevation changes.

Their class structure for IT type cars is really interesting. They use a bracket system. You declare what lap time you are not going to exceed and you are put in a class with other drivers of the same speed range. Close racing guaranteed. If you "break out" you are DQ.

The last ditch effort to run an SCCA event at Mosport was about 5 years ago, NY Region. They asked me to run Tech because their normal person had a conflict. The turn-out of US competitors was very small.

Bruce Perry

mossaidis
07-25-2012, 02:36 PM
ah... I remember now. It's BMWCCA that does the "race over the border" event at Mosport.

StephenB
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
No it's not.

And it's "Sears Point" and "Laguna Seca", not whatever corporate sponsor paid for a label."

GA, you can, but I'm refusing to capitulate to the prostitution...

Prostitution does bring in money. with that money they are making some really nice upgrades :)

Stephen

PS : mosport is one of my favorite tracks now that I had a chance to drive it. Tremblant is still high on my list as well! :) thinking of running Montreal next year!

billf
07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
WNY region hosted many national/restricted regionals in conjunction with CASC in the '90's, I believe. The general plan was that the CASC made the event with considerable monitary assistance, which allowed the region to put on the event with a small US turnout. Our intention being to provide another National in advance of the RunOffs. CASC's intention was to foster US racing in Canaca with increased total entry numbers.

Border crossings were a snap, given that you had to provide Canadian Customs what they were looking for...a simple list of what you were dragging across (one tool box full of tools, one jack, eight tires, one box engine parts, etc). They were looking for generalities, not specifics (one phillips screwdriver #3 eight inches long...). Car ownership was never a question (log book was specific enough). Customs required a few papers to be filled out, but that could be done prior to the bridge crossing. Rarely was anyone even required to pull to the side.

Today, a Passport or Enhanced license is required for anyone to cross the border (thanks 9/11). I was at the ALMS this past weekend, at MosPort (whatever), and was reminded of the worst part of the trip...traffic getting past (thru or around) Toronto. This must be planned carefully, or you will be lengthing the trip by up to double the travel time (from Buffalo to MosPort.

Canadians are gracious hosts with visitors to the their country, especially race fans, who tend to be avid/rabid (your choice). They also drive cool cars and love to talk about them!!!

The track is awesome for spectators or drivers alike. The new ownership has made fantastic improvements in access and comfort, and even more are planned for this comming off-season (improved access to the infamous Moss corner (5-5A) which is now only accessed by a trek thru the woods, up and down steep trails. MosPort has become more famil- friendly than I ever remember, and it was great to see so many families out camping...more than I ever remember (been going there on and off since 1973).

Highly recommended to either compete (if SCCA ever returns), or spectate.

Good Racing.

Bill
WNY region SCCA:024: