PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen Video (Capizzi/Gregory/Monroe crash)

lawtonglenn
07-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Hi .... I started a new thread so the other one can focus on all the various
video viewpoints of the (at least) two Pro-IT crashes ... and this one can be the
repository of the Sunday Group 5 crash videos ... then, after a few days a moderator
can combine the threads :)

WGI Sprints race 2/2 Sunday 22 July 2012 Group 5 (ITR/ITS/ITA/IT7/STU/STL)
Glenn Lawton #14 ITS RX7 ...Started 2nd finished 3rd...with a 2.17.2 best lap time

I had a minor shifting problem at the busstop exit on lap 1, causing me to lose 5 ITS Class
positions from 2nd back to 7th ... but I picked up 4 of them during the race, to finish 3rd / 12

This delay put me back a bit just enough to get a great view of the beginning of a remarkable crash
at the off camber left (turn 9) on first lap, Tom Capizzi (yellow/green miata) unintentionally does a pit
maneuver on Mark Gregory (red/wht/blue RX7) which then involves Tyler Monroe (green/black BMW)...

...and evidently lots more happened after I squeaked through unharmed....(Jim? Ben?) Slechta came
by afterward to say his video showed me just making it by inches, while his 300zx was whacked
head-on by a spinning BMW behind me ... I'd love to see that video!

anyway, this caused a several lap double yellow to clear the carnage, and after a restart I was able to
get by a bunch of other-class cars, as well as Matt Fassnacht and Joe Stadelman, and to close on
but not catch Tim Estes, who finished 2nd. ... John Hainsworth was in a different league, running with
the fast ITR cars and winning ITS in both races handily, as well as in the ProIT race.

http://vimeo.com/lawtonglenn

as always, if you have a slow connection, or an old PC, cycle the HD off

ps. yes, I know I have to get the wiper switch fixed

pps. yes, I know I was out of line before the green :shrug:

gran racing
07-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I did get a chuckle watching you fiddle with the wipers. LOL!

dickita15
07-24-2012, 08:52 AM
I did get a chuckle watching you fiddle with the wipers. LOL!

in the middle of the bus stop no less.

wepsbee
07-24-2012, 09:15 AM
in the middle of the bus stop no less.
I am in awe of the driving, shifting, one handed play with the wiper thing!!!!:rolleyes:

lawtonglenn
07-24-2012, 09:16 AM
what?... you guys are busy in the busstop? :rolleyes:

wepsbee
07-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Yeah I know silly right!!!:D

JohnW8
07-24-2012, 11:24 AM
What an eventful first lap! Shifting issues, wiper issues, cars wrecking in front of you. Good job!

Ed Funk
07-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Drive it faster!:rolleyes:

benspeed
07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Great video as always, Glenn!

CRallo
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
so? nothing to add anyone?

looked like quite the wreck... I was afraid that BMW HAD collected someone :/ Boy, Tom sure was looking racy!!!!