PDA

View Full Version : IRS Quick Change Rear End

Stefan52
07-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Hi, I am trying to find out what class run this rear end.

I am after the Stock Car one for the car I am building
and I would like to know the best place to look for a
second hand unit. I was wondering if anyone could
point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Stefan

Knestis
07-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Looks like something that would have been poking out the back of an '80s T/A or IMSA Corvette Z car.

K

jimbbski
07-16-2012, 09:18 AM
I have seen those use in circle track cars, mostly dirt cars and mostly by groups that race at different tracks of different sizes.

TomL
07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
As far as I'm aware, those IRS rear ends are not that common. They're basically just the center section of the standard stock car quick change, with a few modifications to adapt to IRS axles. But, among the V* cars that run that size rear end, there are almost no classes that run IRS instead of the standard solid rear axle. Essentially all oval racers run solid axles, as do most GT road racing cars (Trans-Am, GT1, etc). I think you're going to need a bit of luck to find a good used example.

Stefan52
07-17-2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I will keep digging.

Knestis
07-17-2012, 10:05 AM
It occurs to me that you might have some luck among the street rod crowd. I've seen some rods that have rear ends inspired by old Indy cars that used the Speedway center section and IRS.

K

JayBee
07-22-2012, 05:07 PM
it's a mini-stock IRS unit made by Speedway Engineering in Sylmar CA. prolly good for 200' # of torque. They also make live axle units.

TomL
07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Speedway does make a mini stock IRS unit, too, but I'm quite sure the one in the picture is the "big" version based on the large stock car quick change (the finned rear cover is the giveaway). Those things are rated at something like 700 HP.

Matt93SE
07-23-2012, 08:44 PM
look for trans am and GT racing forums. there's a few out there, and I've seen talk, but most of them are running live axles as mentioned. there's a few that are running IRS, but they're all smaller GT3 and GTL cars.

also watch racingjunk.com but beware of scammers (I got hit on a dog box I paid for and never received...)

Stefan52
07-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks everyone for their help.
I has now found and bought one.